Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

Yep, he recovered from the PU surgery/urinary problems very well, and I hope your guy does too!
If you get a chance, read through the whole thread, as many have said they found it helpful. Just skip over the fights about what the proper food is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolea2012 View Post
Wow! I had no clue how common this is for male cats. My little guy who is 7 is now going though all of this. we are waiting to see what happens this evening when they take out his cath for the second time. if he blocks again the discussion about doing the PU surgery would be the next option. so reading what you and others have posted have been every assuring and great to know that it's worth it. thank you TracySam for sharing and hope your cat is recovering well.
It wouldn't be so common, if all cats were fed an all wet high meat content diet. It's the advent of kibble that has brought this problem on so frequently.

Best wishes to your little guy that he gets better and doesn't need the surgery.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 PM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It wouldn't be so common, if all cats were fed an all wet high meat content diet. It's the advent of kibble that has brought this problem on so frequently.

Best wishes to your little guy that he gets better and doesn't need the surgery.
There is plenty of PROOF regarding this, too. Dictionary/Encyclopedia will suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If you get a chance, read through the whole thread, as many have said they found it helpful. Just skip over the fights about what the proper food is
To repeat from older posts as this keeps getting bumped:

Don't want to know how many people continued with the status-quo and ignored factual, crucial diet information cited from Veterinary feline experts & the dictionary, and continued to feed that which caused the problem in the first place, thinking surgery was their ONLY option just because your cat went through it all.

What of the people who don't have all this money? Not to mention, the pain these cats unnecessarily go through? What if you kept getting crystals & stones which blocked you? What's the first thing you would do? CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS -- NOT get a surgery to make a hole bigger!
Here's what the procedure entails: (graphic) ACVS - Urethral Obstruction In Male Cats

If anyone is interested in how to prevent all this, do your research or find a veterinarian not in bed with the PFI -- such as these veterinarians who KNOW -- whose patients are SPARED this surgery because they aren't in the grasps of the pet food industry: MANY veterinarians have been speaking up and here is one who breaks it all down, the conflict of interest of the pet food industry funding the mainstream veterinary industry:

How Do Vets Recommend Pet Food? (Part 1: Industry) | petMD

How Do Vets Recommend Pet Food? (Part 2: Education) | petMD

How do vets recommend pet food? (Part 3: In Practice) | petMD

Dictionary definitions:
Quote:
Cat: A small carnivorous mammal (Felis catus or F. domesticus) Carnivore: A flesh-eating animal. Obligate carnivore: an animal that by its genetic makeup must eat the tissue of other animals in order to thrive. The domestic cat is a prime example of an obligate carnivore, as are all of the other felines.
Dr Elizabeth Hodgkins DVM, ESQ Diabetes in Cats | Nutrition | Feeding your Cat - Diabetic Cat Care

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health Dr Lisa Pierson

10 Reasons Why Dry Food Is Bad for Cats & Dogs | Little Big Cat Dr Jean Hofve

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/zorans_article.pdf Debra L Zoran DVM PhD DACVIM
Feline Nutrition

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM

And once again, with all due respect, this thread is for info and support for people who are going through this with their cats. It is not the place to blame the pet owners for what happened. Even if your theory is correct, that dry food causes FLUTD, then your posts are still not useful, as this thread is for people whose cats ALREADY have FLUTD.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
And once again, with all due respect, this thread is for info and support for people who are going through this with their cats. It is not the place to blame the pet owners for what happened. Even if your theory is correct, that dry food causes FLUTD, then your posts are still not useful, as this thread is for people whose cats ALREADY have FLUTD.
This thread is for everyone. The diet advice is worthwhile as it may help prevent a cat from facing the urinary tract problems that many cats featured in this thread have faced. Changing the diet may also help some cats already in trouble avoid the surgery.

Educating is not "placing blame". How will people ever learn about the harmful effects of kibble, including the need for PU surgery, and the benefits of a more species appropriate diet, if they are not given the information?

Diet is relevant to the subject of this thread.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM

TracySam
Quote:
Even if your theory is correct, that dry food causes FLUTD, then your posts are still not useful, as this thread is for people whose cats ALREADY have FLUTD.
There are actually more posts in this thread by people facing this scenario:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolea2012 View Post
Wow! I had no clue how common this is for male cats. My little guy who is 7 is now going though all of this. we are waiting to see what happens this evening when they take out his cath for the second time. if he blocks again the discussion about doing the PU surgery would be the next option. so reading what you and others have posted have been every assuring and great to know that it's worth it. thank you TracySam for sharing and hope your cat is recovering well.

The info on Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health by a knowledgebale veterinarian could not only help the cat not block again, but could have saved this person (and how many others?!) how much $$$$$$$ in vet visits (if they had been informed beforehand), and the $$urgery on top of it all.

Last edited by Pamina333; 08-10-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 AM

That was one of the few cases in this thread in which the cat is not yet at the PU surgery stage. The overwhelming majority here were in the midst of the PU surgery and its follow-up.
Perhaps diet, and all kinds of other things can help a cat who is not yet at the PU stage, but once someone is going through the surgery with their cat, they do not need to hear that they caused the problem by feeding the "wrong" food. Please, you've made your points. Why not start a different thread on "what you can do to prevent FLUTD and avoid PU surgery."

Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
... they do not need to hear that they caused the problem by feeding the "wrong" food. Please, you've made your points. Why not start a different thread on "what you can do to prevent FLUTD and avoid PU surgery."
Because you are giving people the impression that surgery is the ONLY option, as it "worked out so well" for you; repeatedly telling people to ignore crucial dietary information, as well.

People need to be aware of just why their cats have to go through all this -- that their Veterinarians making holes bigger so that they can go on with the conflict of interrest with species-inappropriate "food" makers -- not them -- are the reasons there are even threads like this allll over the Internet. People TRUST their veterinarians, who are not giving them the facts regarding cats, and endorsing -- even selling them -- species-inappropriate "food". Which by the way, the poor creature isn't even capable of chewing.

People have the right to know that everyone mainstream who SHOULD be informing them of these facts regarding their pets are in the pockets of the PFI, which is why the links upthread (PetMD) are pertinent as well. Anyone looking for info would come across this thread as it's among the first hits in search engines. If it spares ONE cat this pain, then good.

Last edited by Pamina333; 08-10-2012 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 PM

44 posts, read 350,233 times
Guido's Second Update:
I am still monitoring Guido's urine flow every now and then to make sure it is consistent and that nothing looks abnormal. Everything looks awesome! I do believe I have my baby back as he snuggled with his sister for the first time this morning.

There are a few things that I would like to address. I failed to mention that the decision of the PU surgery was made for me (the alternative was not an option for me at this point) with my approval. I was very hesitant to put him through the surgery ultimately. When the vet tried to pass a cath from his bladder to the outside world, they found a stone that was lodged in his urethra among the two other stones in his bladder. As I mentioned before, the tests came back on the stones (had them sent to the lab to determine what type of RX diet to put him on - which is null and void at this point because we have established he is a very picky eater - who knew?). Turns out he is in a 5% category for these types of stones. They are formed because of a high protein. Investigating: his dry food was 36% protein vs. his current wet food diet which is only 8% protein. So although diet was an essential part of everything, we had no way of knowing that it was protein without the removal of the stones that were formed in his bladder.

I am very VERY happy to report that my husband and I are still married through a very stressful time. Ha ha ha! We literally for 2 weeks spent the night in the living room/spare bedroom (where ever we decided to move the kennel he lived in to where it was better for us at the time). The recovery process, if you choose to go through with the PU surgery is definitely not something that should be taken lightly. The first 2 weeks after surgery are the most trying. There is a fine balance for finding what works for you/your kitty. I will be happy at any time to share what worked for Guido. He is doing very well and his fur is finally growing back. He truly is a different cat which validates that he may have been in pain longer than before we found out the first time he blocked (unbeknownst to us). I wouldn't change any decision I made even $5000.00 later (two surgeries and two blocks worth of costs).

Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzyBug View Post
Guido's Second Update:
I am still monitoring Guido's urine flow every now and then to make sure it is consistent and that nothing looks abnormal. Everything looks awesome! I do believe I have my baby back as he snuggled with his sister for the first time this morning.

There are a few things that I would like to address. I failed to mention that the decision of the PU surgery was made for me (the alternative was not an option for me at this point) with my approval. I was very hesitant to put him through the surgery ultimately. When the vet tried to pass a cath from his bladder to the outside world, they found a stone that was lodged in his urethra among the two other stones in his bladder. As I mentioned before, the tests came back on the stones (had them sent to the lab to determine what type of RX diet to put him on - which is null and void at this point because we have established he is a very picky eater - who knew?). Turns out he is in a 5% category for these types of stones. They are formed because of a high protein. Investigating: his dry food was 36% protein vs. his current wet food diet which is only 8% protein. So although diet was an essential part of everything, we had no way of knowing that it was protein without the removal of the stones that were formed in his bladder.

I am very VERY happy to report that my husband and I are still married through a very stressful time. Ha ha ha! We literally for 2 weeks spent the night in the living room/spare bedroom (where ever we decided to move the kennel he lived in to where it was better for us at the time). The recovery process, if you choose to go through with the PU surgery is definitely not something that should be taken lightly. The first 2 weeks after surgery are the most trying. There is a fine balance for finding what works for you/your kitty. I will be happy at any time to share what worked for Guido. He is doing very well and his fur is finally growing back. He truly is a different cat which validates that he may have been in pain longer than before we found out the first time he blocked (unbeknownst to us). I wouldn't change any decision I made even $5000.00 later (two surgeries and two blocks worth of costs).
I'm glad Guido is doing so well. I want to clarify something for you though. Protein comparisons on dry and wet foods have to be converted to a "dry matter basis". the canned food is not really only 8 % protein, Guido would waste away on a diet of only 8% protein. Cats are obligate carnivores and need a high MEAT protein diet. To figure out the actual protein in the canned food you have to do a dry matter conversion.

Find the moisture content, usually it is around 78%. Which leaves a 22% dry matter.

Divide the protein listed on the can (8% = .08) by the dry percentage (22%) This makes the canned food 36% protein.

Some canned foods are higher in moisture, but it will say on the can.

It is the moisture and the meat content in the food that makes the difference and will keep Guido healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats