Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:01 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times

Advertisements

I had to take my baby to the vet to be put to sleep. I thought the tears were over but I can't even see as I type this He went down hill so quick and we found more problems with him this monday at the vet. He had lost sight in one eye and had fluid in his lungs in addition to the diabetes, kidney infection and tumor on his toe. My vet felt he might have a couple of weeks left and I brought Titi home. Last night he took a turn for the worse. His breathing became labored and I really did not think he would make it till this morning. I tried to find a vet that would do an in home euthanasia and could not find one. I didn't want his last memory to be leaving his home and being in that cold, sterile environment. That is what bothers me the most. I wanted him to die at home with his buddies and us.

I stayed up with him all night and turned on the wood stove, his favorite place. It was horrible watching him struggle to breath while waiting for the vet office to open. This is the first time I had to make the choice of euthanasia. Even though I know he's not suffering I am having trouble with this. If I can offer advice to anyone out there...don't let it go on as long as I did...I was selfish and my baby suffered and he didn't deserve that. Titi was an awesome cat and I failed him. I will not do that again. I have 4 other fur babies who need me. I need to be there for them. I put them on the backburner since Titi first got sick with the diabetes in Feb.

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
sorry how terrible and sad.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM

244 posts, read 717,984 times
I'm sorry for your loss. Don't be so hard on yourself. Titi knew you loved him and he loved you back. You sound like a loving kitty mama

Good luck through this sad time, I hope the other kitties cheer you up!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,604 times
(((Hugs to you))). I've had to do the exact same thing with one of my babies, and I know exactly how you feel. Try not to be so hard on yourself. .. It sounds to me that you took great care of your baby and comforted and took care of him in the best way possible. He knew you were up with him and had the wood stove on just for him.

Even though you had to leave the house with him, he knew YOU were with him and that brought all the comfort he needed....I understand your issue with having to take him to the vet.....I struggled with that too.

It does NOT sound to me like you failed him at all, don't even think that!......get those "what if's" out of your head. Let the tears come as they will, remember all the good times you and Titi had, remember some of the "bad" things that got 'ole Titi in trouble ....those times will make you smile).

You will find that your 4 other fur babies will comfort you and give you strength through this...they are so much more in tune to things than you realize. (((Hugs))) . Be gentle with yourself.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
How horrible and sad. My heart goes out to you. Rest in peace, Titi.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
(((Hugs to you))). I've had to do the exact same thing with one of my babies, and I know exactly how you feel. Try not to be so hard on yourself. .. It sounds to me that you took great care of your baby and comforted and took care of him in the best way possible. He knew you were up with him and had the wood stove on just for him.

Even though you had to leave the house with him, he knew YOU were with him and that brought all the comfort he needed....I understand your issue with having to take him to the vet.....I struggled with that too.

It does NOT sound to me like you failed him at all, don't even think that!......get those "what if's" out of your head. Let the tears come as they will, remember all the good times you and Titi had, remember some of the "bad" things that got 'ole Titi in trouble ....those times will make you smile).

You will find that your 4 other fur babies will comfort you and give you strength through this...they are so much more in tune to things than you realize. (((Hugs))) . Be gentle with yourself.
I would have said something like this if I could type as eloquently as centre.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,626 times
I am so sorry to hear that.

"We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we would still live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only
certain immortality, never fully
understanding the necessary plan."
— Irving Townsend

Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I'm sorry about your cat. Just know that you did not fail him and you weren't selfish. You loved him, cared for him and were with him until he died. If anything, you wanted his passing to be as pleasant as his life. That's something unfortunately that we can't always control. You did the best you could, and he knows it.

Take care.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
I am so sorry to hear that.

"We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we would still live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only
certain immortality, never fully
understanding the necessary plan."
— Irving Townsend
What a lovely poem just beautifull thanks for printing this .

Old 06-17-2009, 02:16 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
I am so very sorry. My heart just aches for you. Please, I'm sure Titi knew he was loved until the very end, so don't be too hard on yourself. You did all that could be done. RIP Titi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats