Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times

Advertisements

Apologies, as this thread = certainly not about me. It's just that Ouijee is so many lightyears from "selfish" and "fail" that I knew of no other way to convey. Having read all her posts, I know just how unselfish she (and DH) truly is and just wanted to illustrate that, and apologies for getting emotional (was thinking about Titi all weekend.)

(Also becoming more and more convinced that there is more community, and care, within Internet communities, than "the real world".)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times
Default still hurting

Travel'r is so right about the sense of community on here. It is helping me. I'd much rather talk about Titi on here with others who understand.

My husband read all your responses last night and wanted me to thank all of you from him. He couldn't believe there were so many people who cared and that is helping him too. He made me promise to thank you all and I told him I would. He wanted me to share some thing special about Titi with all of you, something Titi would do with me and him. Titi would sleep between us in bed and when he wanted to get us up to give him his "cookies" he would pull the covers from our faces and gently pat us on our cheeks till we would wake up. It was such a nice feeling, waking up to Titi's face. It was such a pleasant way to be awakened in the mornings. I will forever miss that. I will forever miss my Titi.

Thank you all so much from the both of us.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Awww, he sounds like such a sweetie pie.

Mew kitty used to tickle our faces with her whiskers, ever so softly. I miss that, too.
(The bandage was from a mast cell tumor she had removed. She looked goofy, but she was such a good girl about it.)

Now our big lug, Emma, just splats herself across the bed. She's not nearly as dainty as Mew was, but we love her just the same.

Will you share some pictures of Titi with us?

Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM

659 posts, read 898,987 times
The first cat I had into my adult life, meaning I took her after I moved out on my own, I probably took it too far. She got ovarian cancer at 14 and I (me and my ex that also loved her) put her through surgery and chemo, (at a very huge expense....but that didn't matter at the time), the odds were almost hopeless but we wanted to do anything we could. She was our baby.

In the end she had about an extra 6 months, full of treatment that made her miserable, and it was spreading to her lungs. Who were we really doing it for? In the end we rushed her in late at night because she couldn't breathe, (I have mild asthma and I can kind of relate to how that feels in retrospect), It was time. Beyond time. I still hate it when I think of how it feels to have trouble breathing.

I've been dealing with guilt ever since, but we're not really taught to think that way, when it comes to humans we keep them on life support long after they should be...I think it's harder with our pets because we're in control, but not used to that. I still feel terrible after all this time

By the way, her name was Baby. I was 14 when I took her home, couldn't decide on a name and had an older cat, so she got called "The Baby".

Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM

659 posts, read 898,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Awww, he sounds like such a sweetie pie.

Mew kitty used to tickle our faces with her whiskers, ever so softly. I miss that, too.
(The bandage was from a mast cell tumor she had removed. She looked goofy, but she was such a good girl about it.)

Now our big lug, Emma, just splats herself across the bed. She's not nearly as dainty as Mew was, but we love her just the same.

Will you share some pictures of Titi with us?
I have a picture of my ex with my past kitty that I just posted about with the same comforter! I won't post it because he's re-married (still my best friend) but it wouldn't be appropriate!

And you have my Target lamps and shades too!

Hmmmm

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,861 times
I am so very sorry. I know it is down the road, but someday you will see Titi again in Heaven, hopefully that gives you some consolation in this difficult time.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
We have lost two cats over the last 40 years and it always hurts. My condolences.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post
The first cat I had into my adult life, meaning I took her after I moved out on my own, I probably took it too far. She got ovarian cancer at 14 and I (me and my ex that also loved her) put her through surgery and chemo, (at a very huge expense....but that didn't matter at the time), the odds were almost hopeless but we wanted to do anything we could. She was our baby.

In the end she had about an extra 6 months, full of treatment that made her miserable, and it was spreading to her lungs. Who were we really doing it for? In the end we rushed her in late at night because she couldn't breathe, (I have mild asthma and I can kind of relate to how that feels in retrospect), It was time. Beyond time. I still hate it when I think of how it feels to have trouble breathing.

I've been dealing with guilt ever since, but we're not really taught to think that way, when it comes to humans we keep them on life support long after they should be...I think it's harder with our pets because we're in control, but not used to that. I still feel terrible after all this time

By the way, her name was Baby. I was 14 when I took her home, couldn't decide on a name and had an older cat, so she got called "The Baby".
You did your very best. God bless you for caring so much!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I had to take my baby to the vet to be put to sleep. I thought the tears were over but I can't even see as I type this He went down hill so quick and we found more problems with him this monday at the vet. He had lost sight in one eye and had fluid in his lungs in addition to the diabetes, kidney infection and tumor on his toe. My vet felt he might have a couple of weeks left and I brought Titi home. Last night he took a turn for the worse. His breathing became labored and I really did not think he would make it till this morning. I tried to find a vet that would do an in home euthanasia and could not find one. I didn't want his last memory to be leaving his home and being in that cold, sterile environment. That is what bothers me the most. I wanted him to die at home with his buddies and us.

I stayed up with him all night and turned on the wood stove, his favorite place. It was horrible watching him struggle to breath while waiting for the vet office to open. This is the first time I had to make the choice of euthanasia. Even though I know he's not suffering I am having trouble with this. If I can offer advice to anyone out there...don't let it go on as long as I did...I was selfish and my baby suffered and he didn't deserve that. Titi was an awesome cat and I failed him. I will not do that again. I have 4 other fur babies who need me. I need to be there for them. I put them on the backburner since Titi first got sick with the diabetes in Feb.

Thanks for listening.
So sorry for your loss. Been through that and know well what it's like.

Ken

Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I had to take my baby to the vet to be put to sleep. I thought the tears were over but I can't even see as I type this He went down hill so quick and we found more problems with him this monday at the vet. He had lost sight in one eye and had fluid in his lungs in addition to the diabetes, kidney infection and tumor on his toe. My vet felt he might have a couple of weeks left and I brought Titi home. Last night he took a turn for the worse. His breathing became labored and I really did not think he would make it till this morning. I tried to find a vet that would do an in home euthanasia and could not find one. I didn't want his last memory to be leaving his home and being in that cold, sterile environment. That is what bothers me the most. I wanted him to die at home with his buddies and us.

I stayed up with him all night and turned on the wood stove, his favorite place. It was horrible watching him struggle to breath while waiting for the vet office to open. This is the first time I had to make the choice of euthanasia. Even though I know he's not suffering I am having trouble with this. If I can offer advice to anyone out there...don't let it go on as long as I did...I was selfish and my baby suffered and he didn't deserve that. Titi was an awesome cat and I failed him. I will not do that again. I have 4 other fur babies who need me. I need to be there for them. I put them on the backburner since Titi first got sick with the diabetes in Feb.

Thanks for listening.
I am shedding tears for you because I know how you feel. I am older and have been through this about 15 times. In the end you did the right thing and the going downhill thing always happens just that way. One day they are still ok and have some time and the next day it is an emergency and you have to wait for an eternity for the vet. You don't sleep, you don't eat and somehow you always feel guilty because you couldn't stop the inevitable.
Just remember, the last thing your baby knew was how much you loved him. Please take comfort from that and love your remaining babies all the more because life is short and we shouldn't waste even one minute.
When the time comes again, you will do the right thing because they trust you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats