Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I do not shun people who have the procedure done. . . . I feel so bad for all the declawed cats that have been surrendered. They're former owners probably declawed them for various reasons...then they didn't keep up their end of the commitment...to keep the kitties safe and taken care of. Sad.
As a declawed cat owner - thanks ouijeewoman. Not my first choice, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. We have never had any medical, discomfort, or litter box issues with ones that have been declawed.

And the only circumstance that woud keep us from living up to our commitment is our death. We have encountered and dealt with just about every other reason that others use as excuses. Remember, animals are living beings and deserve forever homes. It is a commitment til death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Having a cat declawed does not necessarily save it from the "needle". There are plenty of declawed cats already in shelters facing euthanasia. Every day on Craigslist there are declawed cats being given away. Declawing is not a solution to save cats. If someone is worried about their dogs, children, furniture, what ever reason they give to justify declawing, then maybe a cat is not the right pet for them. I'm sorry, but there is nothing anyone can say to me that makes it ok. I am horrified that I had that done to one of my cats. Today, most vets discourage declawing and I would never use one who promoted it.

I do not shun people who have the procedure done. A lot of people just don't realize or have the information entailing what an actual declaw operation is. For years I thought just the claws were removed, once I found out they amputate the first knuckle, that was it for me. I feel so bad for all the declawed cats that have been surrendered. They're former owners probably declawed them for various reasons...then they didn't keep up their end of the commitment...to keep the kitties safe and taken care of. Sad.
I'm very aware of that. I've been doing rescue for over 13 years now. I've seen the cats that are put down and yes, plenty are de-clawed. However, in this particular situation if she de-claws the cat she can keep it. If she doesn't she has to get rid of it. Try to find someone responsible that will give a cat a good home these days. It's nearly impossible. So her option is give it to a home that may not be that great and risk the sick, twisted things that can happen to animals or drop it in a shelter where it's got probably a more than 90% chance of being euth'd.

I've got 6 cats in my house. 3 are de-clawed, 3 are not. One of those is a foster and is not de-clawed. However, the situation I was in at the time that I had the first two dictated they be de-clawed or removed from the home. I de-clawed them to keep them. They are now 8 and 10 years old and very happy, healthy cats. My husband came into the marriage with 4 cats, all de-clawed. We still have the youngest who is now 9.

Since then we took in a foster that had a litter of kittens. Mom and babies adopted except for one that we just decided was meant to stay with us. Then I took in a litter of kittens at 3 weeks when their mother was killed by a pack of dogs. My daughter fell in love with one and we let her keep her. She's not de-clawed.

Then she brought home a cute tiny bobtail kitty that someone dumped at the local church, which seems to be the local dumping ground. She's available for adoption and not de-clawed. However, if the adopting person was in a situation that they were forced to de-claw her, I would not deny the adoption only for that reason. If everything else on the adoption looked great, I'd still allow it. Not my preference, but better than euth'ing.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:04 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
MissNM...You're right, pets are a life time commitment and my hat's off to you and your husband for making that commitment. I would never hold you declawing your cat against you or shun you. I have a problem with the people who have it done and then decide they don't want the cat any more. Or the ones who have it done and leave the cats outside unable to defend themselves. I can't forgive the ones who place objects over their living, breathing pets. Heck, I have a couple of family members like that. I also realize that every situation is unique and life is not black and white. I was not trying to offend any one.

mrs1885...I do agree with you on some points, such as the OP lives in her Dad's house and must abide by Dad's rules. When I lived with my parents the only way my Dad would let me keep our cat was if she was declawed. My first 2 cats were indoor/outdoor...one was killed in front of the house, the other one just disappeared. I had each cat about 2 yrs. So with the third cat I begged him to let her stay inside only and his only condition was that she be declawed. She lived to 13. So I do understand the situation from both sides. I think you understand where I'm coming from in my point of view. My husband and I adopted a kitten in July from a rescue and had to sign a contract stating that we would never declaw the kitten. I had no problems with that since I would never have done it in the first place. I'm in NJ and we checked out a lot of shelters and rescues before we picked Samson(well he picked us). Every place had the same contract to sign. I don't know if this is unique to NJ or if any other states do this. So like I said to MissNM I don't shun responsible pet owners who have had their cats declawed, as long as they make a life time commitment. There are still A LOT of people out there that don't know they remove the first knuckle. I just try to pass along the info and hope for the best.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 PM

26 posts, read 33,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaay View Post
I also love my kitties. They are my children. I’m so sad and I don’t want to hurt my kitties. I need some insight on what to do and how I can get out of this, or what I can tell him. Please!
If someone truly loves another (human or animal-both are living creatures with brains that has no other purpose but to think, sense and to feel emotions), the only thing they need to ask themselves is what would they (their “beloved” pets) want, instead of making excuses to mutilate them for their own benefit. Surely they would not want part of their body taken from them. Human amputees seem ok most of the time, but inside they are not and wish they still had their limbs. I’m not judging, just stating the facts. No matter what, if you love someone you don’t cut off their body parts for any reason. The only time such a decision would be responsible would be like in the case of gangrene or a life-threatening, not possession-threatening or selfish desire-threatening situation. Cats are not toys and should be treated as someone, not something. Would you cut off your child’s fingers because they use them to break things? No, you find alternative solutions because the one you’re supposed to love is more important. In the end, all that matters is that the cat lost a part of their body they love so much that they use it every day and often for pleasure, protection, and life. And you took that away. When you love someone, you give to them, not take away things they love, especially not their fingers and claws which they very obviously love dearly.

You (Mandaay) seem to truly love them since you don’t want to take their precious claws away, so follow your heart. You already know the answer. I’ve been in situations before where there seemed to be no way out, but if you keep trying, there always is especially if it involves someone you love.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
Honestly, people who care more about their material posessions should not get pets in the first place. ... As for now I can promise you all that I have a cat that doesn't claw any furniture ... because I spent a week teaching her how to use a scratching post. With time, patience, love and care this is something you can teach them. ..!

Exactly! People think cats are so easy and you don't need to work on anything. It is true that they are easier than say...dogs, but I do remember training my cats when they were young -- they learned not to jump on certain pieces of furniture, or up on the tables and they never scratched the furniture either! It can be done...and Soft Paws can be used initially to help in the process. Eventually, they will learn how and when to use their paws. However, never cut a young kitties nails prior to applying the softpaws, their nails are much more sensitive -- follow the directions as they tell you not to do that with kitties as well.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:39 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times
Of soft paws... they don't always work..... they are expensive.

The best thing to do therefore training or no training is never get cats if you value furniture above them, keep low cost crappy things( furniture) and to replace over and over again the things they scratch up.

Of course thats living in a dream world..... many people are going to take the declaw rote and.. unless its banned by law I guess its one of the reasions why I'd never surrender ANY of the pets I keep to a shelter/no kill. Moderator cut: comment

Last edited by Keeper; 12-09-2009 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: enough..

Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Another vote to give them up to someone else - or arrange for them to stay outside if you can - not declaw.

There are claw "sheaths" you can get from Foster & Smith, I think you glue them on, constant PITA I am sure, but is a way around them scratching stuff up without declawing.
The sheaths do not work...
We have a kitten we rescued and are also contemplating declawing her. She has already scratched our older daughters face so close to her eye ( she was playing with her and the kitty jumped up)...
She scratches on our furniture and has put a hole Iin my daughter's duvet cover on her bed.
We know that declawing is not a great choice, but she will remain an indoor cat and we feel that although yes, she is a kitty, she is very rough around the kids and our things are getting ruined.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
The sheaths do not work...
We have a kitten we rescued and are also contemplating declawing her. She has already scratched our older daughters face so close to her eye ( she was playing with her and the kitty jumped up)...
She scratches on our furniture and has put a hole Iin my daughter's duvet cover on her bed.
We know that declawing is not a great choice, but she will remain an indoor cat and we feel that although yes, she is a kitty, she is very rough around the kids and our things are getting ruined.
Sheaths! What is wrong with humans! Why would you glue anything on a cats claws? Let the cat live as it was born into this world...with claws and without sheaths glued onto his claws. Live and let Live! Give the cat to a home that will not rip the claws out. If the cat is rough with the kids does it make you wonder if the kids are rough with the cat? Cats generally don't like the way kids play with them. Kids can be very evil to animals. I would give the poor kitten to a home that knows how to care for it.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
It's so easy to have your cats' claws clipped every month or so and it only costs $10. at Pet Smart.
That way, they will not scratch the furniture and will remain healthy with those big fluffy paws (that Maine Coon cats have anyway).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Sheaths! What is wrong with humans! Why would you glue anything on a cats claws? Let the cat live as it was born into this world...with claws and without sheaths glued onto his claws. Live and let Live! Give the cat to a home that will not rip the claws out. If the cat is rough with the kids does it make you wonder if the kids are rough with the cat? Cats generally don't like the way kids play with them. Kids can be very evil to animals. I would give the poor kitten to a home that knows how to care for it.
FYI.... The rescue we got her from suggested them.....
Pour kitty is very loved and very well taken care of... She is just a bit curious and a little rough. The kids are not rough with her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats