Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:02 AM

53 posts, read 162,190 times

Advertisements

HOW do I drive two cats from Ca. to Clayton...HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 01:35 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times
Hello
I had the same question and there is a thread " Transporting Cats" that I started and is buried somewhere in the forum that will give you some great advice. We're coming from CA too and we decided it would be too difficult to drive with our cat so I'm flying with her and she will be sudated. There has been some discussion about sedating vs. not sedating. I've spoken with several airline attendants and people that have flown with cats and they've all advised me to use a sedative for the cat (and I may need one too).
Go back and look for the thread - it may be somewhere at the end of April.
I'll look for it to and see what I can locate for you.
Best of luck

Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Ask your Vet for kitty xanax...

I drove from Kansas City to Orlando with two cats, two dogs and one child, OH and an annoying spouse...

Old 05-18-2007, 04:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Default Love your post! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Ask your Vet for kitty xanax...

I drove from Kansas City to Orlando with two cats, two dogs and one child, OH and an annoying spouse...
Annoying spouses should also be sedated on long trips. Sometimes, even on short trips.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 AM

52 posts, read 226,404 times
That's funny!! We are in the same situation. We're driving separately and trying to figure out how to contain the cat without caging her. My husband is configuring this wierd contraption of a safety net and bungee cords to contain her in the back of the car. I know it will never ever work but he seems not to be discouraged. My realtor found it less than funny when I informed him that my cat Peadey will also be attending closing!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:34 AM

85 posts, read 322,972 times
We'll be driving from Mass to NC with six rescued house rabbits. Rabbits who LOVE their elegant accomodations at home but hate the car. We'll be borrowing my husband's friend's motor home, that will be filled with four large crates complete with litter, water, and hay ... and six bunnies. Should be interesting.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:38 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Default We never learn.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisads View Post
That's funny!! We are in the same situation. We're driving separately and trying to figure out how to contain the cat without caging her. My husband is configuring this wierd contraption of a safety net and bungee cords to contain her in the back of the car. I know it will never ever work but he seems not to be discouraged. My realtor found it less than funny when I informed him that my cat Peadey will also be attending closing!!!
Man plans and cats laugh. Good luck trying to outsmart a cat.

As for the transporting of our feline friends our vet just recommended yesterday that we use a small dose of Benadryl and see how it works. It's important to note that he strongly recommended testing this out in advance. Otherwise it's on to kitty prozac.

As for where to place them in the car, it should be in a carrier (with water) and the carrier should be secured somehow.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:38 AM

8 posts, read 47,699 times
We drove from Delaware to Florida with two cats a few years ago. We sedated them and it was GREAT. Not a peep (or meow) the whole way! Talk to your vet.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 AM

53 posts, read 162,190 times
We are driving two cars back. So if the cats were to fly I would have to board them for 10 days. Then have someone put them on a plane. I dont know what would be worse the stress from that long of boarding then flying alone, or just the car trip?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
They also now have pads to put in the travel crate to absorb any "leakage". Completely disposable too. Check out your local Petsmart.

Welcome to Clayton!
If you have any questions about the area, feel free to PM me at anytime!

~Heather~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats