Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:41 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times

Advertisements

I've been feeding a feral momma cat since last summer. Her two female kittens and herself have been spayed. Normally during summer she doesn't depend on me as much, since she kills rabbits and birds and stuff. Her female kittens are now inside cats. Her two male kittens are in good homes as well.

Anyway, I went to put her food out this morning, and a large, dark brown-and-white, longhaired cat ran off. I couldn't tell if it was male or female, but he/she was probably as big as my 10-pound cat. Then tonight I went out to put out food and a longhaired orange cat ran off. There is a longhaired orange cat a few houses down. Could be the same one. The orange-haired cat down the street was friendly when I petted him at his house, but I may have just startled him. I assume it is the same cat.

Obviously the female feral ("momma cat") is fixed, so I doubt they are here for her. I'm hoping they are both male. I'm not sure I could afford to get any female strays fixed. But they may just be hanging around to eat since it is so cold.

Apparently word has gotten around that I'm the catlady and I put food out all the time.

I don't mind to feed the other cats. It's just cheap, dry food. But it was a surprise to see two strange cats in the same day. I can't say for sure that they are both strays, though. Anyway, it was a surprise to find out how many have been eating here. I went ahead and put out an extra bowl.

Anyone else been surprised like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:16 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
You'll probably have critters eating out of them too. Feed them and they will come. Thanks for caring. Maybe your local shelter can do a free spay or two for you.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Oh I feel you on this one... it all started when I began putting out food, then food in traps, then just food again, trying to catch my Little Moo.

2 weeks later, little moo is conked out on the bed takin a nap, and I'm still putting food out for the mystery guest, or guests.

I've seen a big black cat, a scrawny itty bitty black cat ( no I'm not nuts, they ARE 2 different cats! ) a huge fluffy longhaired cat, a grey and black tabby, and... resident "badcat" who belongs to a neighbor.

I take that back, I saw a deer too. But I'm still not sure whether it was going after the cat food or not.

I've been delaying at returning the trap that I was loaned - because.. I want to catch them all! I won't keep the neighbor's cats, but gosh who can tell if they belong to anyone?

So I go back and forth, some nights I put the trap out - some I don't. The food always gets eaten when I leave it by itself... haven't really figured out what to do yet, but I have to give my trap back eventually, lol. Due Sunday, as a matter of fact.

I will keep putting food out, I can afford to. (and when the day comes that I can't, I'll quit smoking so I can afford to) - other than that....

Old 01-28-2010, 07:45 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
You'll probably have critters eating out of them too. Feed them and they will come. Thanks for caring. Maybe your local shelter can do a free spay or two for you.
We don't have any shelters with room, and they certainly don't do free spaying. You can't get a discounted spay unless you are dirt poor. I got my momma cat and 2 females spayed due to the generosity of someone on this forum.

The orange one I saw is male. He lives down the street. The brown and white one I'm not sure about. He's pretty big though.

There's also a large siamese I've seen from afar. He wanders around.

I have a metal trap, but I've only use it once. I don't plan to trap the cats that are eating my food. I don't mind to feed them. One has a home, anyway. He just wanted more food I guess.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
STL: Good for you. I put food out for two particular cats, but there's no predicting who will show up. Several other cats have, as well as a possum and a raccoon! I suppose the word has gotten around that there's a soft touch living here.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I've been feeding a feral momma cat since last summer. Her two female kittens and herself have been spayed. Normally during summer she doesn't depend on me as much, since she kills rabbits and birds and stuff. Her female kittens are now inside cats. Her two male kittens are in good homes as well.

Anyway, I went to put her food out this morning, and a large, dark brown-and-white, longhaired cat ran off. I couldn't tell if it was male or female, but he/she was probably as big as my 10-pound cat. Then tonight I went out to put out food and a longhaired orange cat ran off. There is a longhaired orange cat a few houses down. Could be the same one. The orange-haired cat down the street was friendly when I petted him at his house, but I may have just startled him. I assume it is the same cat.

Obviously the female feral ("momma cat") is fixed, so I doubt they are here for her. I'm hoping they are both male. I'm not sure I could afford to get any female strays fixed. But they may just be hanging around to eat since it is so cold.

Apparently word has gotten around that I'm the catlady and I put food out all the time.

I don't mind to feed the other cats. It's just cheap, dry food. But it was a surprise to see two strange cats in the same day. I can't say for sure that they are both strays, though. Anyway, it was a surprise to find out how many have been eating here. I went ahead and put out an extra bowl.

Anyone else been surprised like this?
Yes,definitely.....we are helping feed six.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Yeah, if you put food out for one cat, you're not only feeding all the cats you don't see (they're kinda like cockroaches ... for every one you see, there are 10 more), but you're also feeding the raccoons, groundhogs, skunks, possums ... *sigh*

Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
If you put out food for one cat- you'll atrract other cats and animals. Cats learn to have chow lines.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I don't really mind. Here at Chez Catman, it's 'first come first serve'.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
LOL! You house is marked in cat signs that only cats recognize "FREE FOOD!".. How else do they know where to go to get food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats