Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

EDIT: Make that two black males, one black female, one male tabby, one female tabby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:49 AM

They've made a habit of climbing in the cars and in the dryer vent. They're doing everything they can to kill themselves. If I don't take them to the pound soon, they'll kill themselves or possibly somebody will kill them.

4 are tame enough. One is not and probably never will be. That one probably cannot be brought out alive.

I'm just not sure what to do. I don't see any way they will all find homes, and I have no sure way to get them all to the pound.

They're under our house and not the neighbor's now, so I may just have to take the two female kittens to the pound and let the three males be, and get the mother fixed. That one male is definitely not catchable. The only way to get rid of him would be to actually get rid of him (he'll never get in a carrier). The other two males are tamer, so I'll keep trying to find homes for them.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 05-31-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
4 are tame enough. One is not and probably never will be. That one probably cannot be brought out alive.
As in it would probably be impossible to get him out of the drier vent or in a carrier because he won't let me.

I'm going to probably take the female kittens to the pound. I guess the males can hang around. Maybe I'll have time to find homes for two of them. Although the females can hang around a little longer (they are not mature yet) I have very little faith in ever finding homes for them, and I can't have more kittens. The mother will be fixed soon as well.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 05-31-2010 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Please have the males snipped, too.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Someone is donating the money to have the mother fixed. I don't have the money to neuter three males. The one male isn't even catchable (he bit me this morning).

I can't afford to get the males fixed. Either they stay unneutered and stay here, or they go to the pound (I'm not sure that one male can even be caught). The female kittens will probably go to the pound, though. I wouldn't mind to keep them around, but, again, affording it is the problem. Spaying a female cat ranges anywhere from $80-$150 per cat. Males start at $40 and go up from there. Neither option (staying here and turning a bit feral or going to the pound) is ideal, but I don't have a lot of options. I know the survival rates for unneutered outside males, especially that turn feral, but I also know the survival rates of cats at pounds, so again, neither is really ideal.

Not that I recommend it, but when I was a kid we did have cats running around, and they ate cat food but they also learned to feed themselves. I would rather the male kittens find homes, but, if not, it's either run around here (and take the chances with that) or go to the pound. I can't afford to spay/neuter every animal that comes around. I do plan to spay the mother, though. I realize neutering the males would be ideal, but I can't really afford it. And I can't guarantee that they would not run away, get hurt, or get hit. We have a lot of cats that come and go. It's kind of a no-win situation.

If they go to the pound they'll be put down in five days, so I'm kind of having to decide which one is worse. I realize living outside is not good either. What am I supposed to do?

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 05-31-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 04:21 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

If they go to the pound they'll be put down in five days, so I'm kind of having to decide which one is worse. I realize living outside is not good either. What am I supposed to do?
I would not want to be in your shoes. Only one dumped off mother cat showed up here many years ago. Most dump-offs have been tomcats. One was a spayed female. There were a few kittens. The pregnant cat had 5 kittens in an old goat shed. Something got to the kittens and killed them all. We found them spread all over the area behind our house. They were chewed and bitten but not eaten. Their eyes had just opened. We couldn't imagine what did it since there was no way humans could get back there. You couldn't even see the old shed from the road. Some animal had to have done it. I was sick for days...... we never found the mother cat's body or saw her again.

At least the males, even if intact, can't bring more unwanted kittens into the world.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 PM

That little male bit me this morning. It bled some at the time, but now it just looks superficial, so it should heal okay. The other four are more gentle, and two of the males may be able to be rehomed. That one black male is the only one that has scratched or bitten me. He also screams bloody murder and upsets his mother (temporarily anyway). Still, this gives me some more time. It still doesn't look good for the female kittens, though. I don't want to take them to the pound, but they have about a .5% chance of being adopted. I may still take them to the pound this Friday. Nobody wants them and even if I wait two more months, I don't see that changing. The males might be able to be adopted. If not, they'll end up running around here, and may turn a bit feral. It won't be an easy life, but the pound would almost definitely mean being put down.

Either way they lose.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
They're adorable. How sad the little girls have to die. It's so heart breaking. Such precious little lives...... wasted.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:02 PM

Someone might want one (as an inside cat), but I won't find out until Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats