Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times

Advertisements

Last Spring we had a stray cat that had kittens under our shed. That has since been resolved, and the momma cat and kittens have been fixed. Here's the thread about it.
Stray cat had kittens under our shed

Anyway, we have a new pregnant cat in our shed. She let me pet her, but she is skittish. I don't know what to do. We can't afford to get her fixed. No shelters will take her. No pounds will take her (even then she would be put down in a week). Any idea what to do? Before a few people on this board helped me. I couldn't ask them to do it again, but maybe there's a vet or an organization that help me get her fixed. I'd prefer to get her fixed before she has the kittens, but I can tell she is pregnant now. What do I do?

Last time we got a pregnant cat fixed it cost about $140. I don't really have that money. Before someone on this forum really helped me with that, but I can't ask him to do that again.

Any ideas? I'm not sure what to do. I can't fix every cat that comes around. Somehow I always end up with the pregnant ones.

She's currently sleeping in a box in our shed add-on. She let me pet her, but she's a little skittish. She has a big mouth as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 03:07 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Have sent you DM.

You and you alone are not going to be able to stem the tide of unwanted kittens. All you can do is appeal for help and try your best to help what comes along to your little corner of the world - and you're already doing that.

As hard as it is, you're not going to be able (either financially or emotionally) to "save" each and every one that comes along. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's the reality. One day you'll move on but I think you should be able to sleep well knowing you did what you could for the ones that found you.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure if I'll need to trap her to get her to the vet or not. She is tame. I can pet her, but I don't see myself being able to load her into the car. I do have a trap, though, so that's not a problem. I'll call the vet on Tuesday. I'm sure they're closed on Monday. I probably won't go to my regular vet, because you have to set up an appointment a week ahead of time. But I know of another vet I can take her to. We're going out of town next weekend (the 19th), so it might actually be the week after that before I can get her in. I can tell she's pregnant, but she's not obviously pregnant. She's walking like she's pregnant.

I hate to spay her while she's pregnant, but if I let her have the babies, then I'll have to find homes for them and get them spayed. Aborting the kittens is a sad thing, but it's kind of necessary.

Most people around here just take pregnant animals out and shoot them.

The main thing I worry about at the moment is the weather. She's in the shed addition which has 4 walls (though there is a space where you can get the lawnmower out). But it is snowing. I went to check on her and she just softly meowed at me. Somehow pregnant cats know to find 4 walls. Should I take her a towel or something to put in the box?

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-14-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
some old towels and if there is some straw or hay somewhere that is a great insulator.....

also.... talk to the other vet and tell him what your situation is..... maybe they will give you a break in helping this girl.....

keep us posted on what the vet says..... 'k??

Old 02-14-2010, 06:44 PM

K. I've had someone offer to cover the costs, which I very much appreciate. I just need to get her trapped and spayed. She's a little skittish. I'm afraid trapping her will make her more afraid, but I don't think I can make her get into a cat carrier. She's too afraid of me.

I imagine the vets offices will be closed tomorrow, but I can call on Tuesday.

I just went out there and a large brown-and-white, longhaired cat ran off. I've only seen it twice.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
If the carrier is big enough for her, you could try putting it in the shed with door removed/propped open and with some towels/bit of blanket/what-have-you and see if she'll use it as a bed. The smaller the space she has to heat with her body, the warmer she'll stay.

It could also then become a safe place for her in the time between now and her trip to the vets and you might get away without having to trap her. Well, that would be the theory anyway...

Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 PM

We currently have a small, soft-sided carrier. I'm not sure if she'll go in it voluntarily. We washed it recently because someone peed on it. I think it smells okay now, though. We could pick up another carrier if we needed to. I guess in the new few days I can try to get her to come to me. As it is right now, if she walks by and I rub her back, she doesn't fight me on it or run away. She won't come directly to me voluntarily, though.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
typically, only banks, post offices, schools and other government related work places are closed on president's day...... i have NEVER taken the day off myself.... i would try calling the vet's office tomorrow......

Old 02-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Looks like she'll be having her babies after all. Between the two vets, the earliest openings are March 1 and March 4. Both have about the same cost ($125-$140).

EDIT: Found a place that can get her in the 23rd. I'll need to see when we can get her down there.

I took a little video of her, but I can't seem to get it from my phone to the computer.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-15-2010 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 PM

I hope she's alright. I haven't seen the pregnant stray all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats