Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:43 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times

Advertisements

When her ratings on the nightly news dropped 14%, she was pulled and scheduled to be used for special assignments and high-profile interviews. Has that happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 01:53 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I don't know that she was "pulled." At nearly 70 years old, she probably wanted to slow things down and spend time with her husband. It's a shame he lived only a couple months later.

And yes, she has done high profile interviews ... Jaycee Dugard, for example, and that actress who was connected to that Mexican drug lord.

ETA: Also Elizabeth Vargas, when she went public with her alcoholism.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:56 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't know that she was "pulled." At nearly 70 years old, she probably wanted to slow things down and spend time with her husband. It's a shame he lived only a couple months later.

And yes, she has done high profile interviews ... Jaycee Dugard, for example, and that actress who was connected to that Mexican drug lord.
I believe her husband died a year or so ago. She is now very rich, as if she wasn't already, so has no need to work very much.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:48 PM

12,284 posts, read 2,968,089 times
She is 70. It's called retirement. Good for her and she still looks great.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:11 PM

I suspect that ABC was itching for an excuse to trot out David Muir and when ratings dipped, they pulled her. If not for being pulled, I further suspect that she'd still be doing the nightly gig. Fame is an opiate and if one is still in good health, it's a difficult habit to break regardless of one's age and material wealth.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:17 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I suspect that ABC was itching for an excuse to trot out David Muir and when ratings dipped, they pulled her. If not for being pulled, I further suspect that she'd still be doing the nightly gig. Fame is an opiate and if one is still in good health, it's a difficult habit to break regardless of one's age and material wealth.
She never struck me as a fame or fortune seeker. She always seemed to be one of those who considered herself fortunate to be able to do something she loves, but she wasn't doing it to be rich and famous. I could be wrong, but that's just my take.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
She never struck me as a fame or fortune seeker. She always seemed to be one of those who considered herself fortunate to be able to do something she loves, but she wasn't doing it to be rich and famous. I could be wrong, but that's just my take.

I guess I just think it's hard to give it up... thinking about Geo. Burns, Groucho, and a bunch of other oldies who had money coming out of their ears but they kept on. Nothing against Sawyer, seems like a classy person.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:24 PM

12,284 posts, read 2,968,089 times
I can't imagine comparing Diane Sawyer to George Burns or Groucho. Maybe you just want to see the issue a certain way and can't accept she may have left by her own choice.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:11 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
That's the impression I got. I also saw Diane as being one of the more down-to-earth celebrities.

I can't warm up to David Muir and haven't been watching abc lately. Maybe a sweater vest would help.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:31 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
Diane Sawyer was never "pulled" from anything. Her ratings at ABC news were high.

In 2014 she decided to step down, which she did in September 2014. David Muir replaced her on ABC World News.

Her husband Mike Nichols died two months after she gave up ABC news.

Diana occasionally does specials for ABC.

she will soon be 71 years old and looks fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities