Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 AM

5,279 posts, read 6,214,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Being from Alabama and all can well understand Mr. Herndon's apprehensions, however Jim Nabors was known to be gay for *years* (apparently Andy Griffith knew and wasn't that thrilled) and still sold scores if not hundreds of recordings all over the South and Appalachia.

Mr. Nabors was constantly invited to sing at opening of NASCAR (a greater gathering of good ole Bubbas and their wives/families as you'll ever find), and gave his final singing engagement at that event *after* he had come out by marrying his long time partner in Seattle, WA (IIRC). By all accounts there were more than a few teary eyes.

So much for the perceived rampant homophobia of the South.....

Andy Griffith was actually kinda liberal and supported democrats in later years.

Neighbors didn't sing for NASCAR. He sang at the Indianapolis 500 every year. Not the South.

FWIW- I'd guess Goober was also gay.

I think one of Ty Herndon's wives was actually his managers daughter. IIRC her other daughter married Neal McCoy unless I'm mixing him up with the other guy named Ty formt he late 90s. Kids could have been by insemination. Or the wives kids. Remember when Larry Craig got caught in the Minneapolis bathroom and everyone just then realized the kids were not his but the wife and a previous spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 10:54 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

FWIW- I'd guess Goober was also gay.

Character Goober - maybe.

Actor George Lindsey - doubtful.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM

12,284 posts, read 2,969,609 times
Mixing up two goobers. Naybors is gay. George Lindsey not.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:54 PM

12,284 posts, read 2,969,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
I am pretty sure that happened to country music's Ty Herndon. When he was busted in the early 90's for picking up another guy for sex but that other guy ended up being a cop I remember the PR piece he sent out to a lot of the country music radio stations. He was standing behind his wife and kids and kept saying "I have a drug problem" and gave thanks to the cop who busted him saying how he saved his life. Oh he kept saying " I Love You" to his wife too. Kissie face the whole 9 yards !! I guess it worked since we and everyone else still played Ty's music. Flash forward to just the last few years and Ty Herndon came out. By that time his kids were adults and his wife I imagine is now his ex-wife.
He didn't fool any but the dullest with that PR campaign. I feel for his wife. Marrying in good faith to find out he just wanted a cover to jumpstart his career.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:28 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
If both of Ty Herndon's wives knew he was gay what about the kids in the video I watched back in 1995 ?? Wikipedia says nothing of the kids unless I overlooked it. Could they have been rent a kids ???

Cannot find a single online source stating Ty Herndon has children, from either of his former wives or otherwise.

Mr. Herndon has and IIRC still does much work with disabled, ill and so forth children, so maybe that is where the children in video mentioned came about.
Ty Herndon

In recent interviews Mr. Herndon has stated he and his BF/partner want to have children, so guess they will join Neil Patrick-Harris, Elton John, Matt Bomer, Clay Atkin, Ricky Martin, and scores if not hundreds of other well off gays and rent a surrogate.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
He didn't fool any but the dullest with that PR campaign. I feel for his wife. Marrying in good faith to find out he just wanted a cover to jumpstart his career.

TH is probably more well known as the country singer who came out as gay then anything else. Yes, he has had some "good" music but on balance Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, or Tim McGraw he ain't.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:33 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
You know, as awful as the commercial tripe Manilow puts out is, I had to feel bad for him. Did you notice this quote?

Considering his fans, “I thought I would be disappointing them if they knew I was gay. So I never did anything,” says Manilow.

He had a successful career, millions of loyal fans, and he was afraid that they would turn against him just because of who he is. It's really a sad commentary, and I'm glad the world has changed so that he can be himself without reprisals.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You know, as awful as the commercial tripe Manilow puts out is, I had to feel bad for him. Did you notice this quote?

Considering his fans, “I thought I would be disappointing them if they knew I was gay. So I never did anything,” says Manilow.

He had a successful career, millions of loyal fans, and he was afraid that they would turn against him just because of who he is. It's really a sad commentary, and I'm glad the world has changed so that he can be himself without reprisals.

Well that was a pretty common feeling by all sorts of actors, entertainers and whatever at the time.

Liberace never came out (did he have to?). Elton John didn't until rather recently on his career time line.

Peter Allen married Liza Minnelli who apparently didn't know about her husband until she came home and walked in on him with another man.

Who would have thought Robert Reed (Mr. Brady) was gay? Now there that information may have harmed a career, but Barry Manilow? Hard to say, but then again it wasn't my life and or professional career.

Sadly due to HIV/AIDS many celebrities were forced out of that closet regardless. 23 Celebrities Who Lost Their Battle With AIDS | Advocate.com

Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Maybe but he did fool our program director and the PDs of the other country radio stations in our market unlike KD Lang. When she came out our PD yanked her music off the air and the same thing happened at the other country stations too. I remember our PD saying that is what drugs can do. Whatever but I can say Ty Herndon didn't fool me.

As far as the kids in that video are concerned I am beginning to agree with BugsyPal that those kids were either disabled or ill or both. Of course on the video THAT wasn't mentioned.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:41 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Maybe but he did fool our program director and the PDs of the other country radio stations in our market unlike KD Lang. When she came out our PD yanked her music off the air and the same thing happened at the other country stations too. I remember our PD saying that is what drugs can do. Whatever but I can say Ty Herndon didn't fool me.

As far as the kids in that video are concerned I am beginning to agree with BugsyPal that those kids were either disabled or ill or both. Of course on the video THAT wasn't mentioned.
I knew about Ty years before he came out. He had a one-night stand with a friend of mine(who was also the September 1982 Centerfold for Playgirl Magazine; I still have the issue!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities