Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:24 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
There was a fierce competitiveness between Hugh and Bob Guccione not to mention Larry Flint. The interactions, legal battles and exposé of virtually every controversial cultural, religious, and political issues of our times were brought to public attention in these magazines.
yeah yeah...you read it for the articles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 12:27 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Iconic to say the least...RIP "Mr. Hump Day"

Old 09-28-2017, 12:34 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Hef also liked to post photos of the animals in his private zoo (I had read that he had the only 'private zoo' license in the city of Los Angeles), and of the friends that he would invite over for his weekly 'movie night'.

i know someone who worked at that zoo years ago. she just texted me this morning that her "old boss hugh died". she did not have to wear a lingerie or bunny costume of any kind fortunately.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:37 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times

Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
To those who say he exploited women, who was there that didn't want to be?
A better question might be, "Who was there who was making a decision from a healthy POV?"

Old 09-28-2017, 12:51 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
When PlayGirl (an extension of Playboy) was around nobody had anything to say.
And it never was a big success because women largely weren't interested. So plenty of people had something to say ... and said it by not buying.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:53 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Again, they wouldn't have been there if they hadn't wanted to be. If the bunnies wanted to be normalized and objectified, oh, well, their choice.

There were a lot of careers back then that objectified women. Airline stewardess, for example. Sexy, sexy, sexy. And of course modeling. Go-Go dancing. And so forth.
Not quite to the same degree. If it were the same thing, we wouldn't be discussing what a "trail blazer" he was.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:00 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,607 times
I've got the 40th anniversary issue next to my toilet for reading - really great articles and interviews in that magazine - and this issue tells the story of Playboy's beginnings. I believe excerpts from his then-forthcoming autobiography. To get articles and art for the 1st issue he gave writers and artists the option of taking stock as payment. One guy who's name I can't recall was paid $400 is stock and when he cashed it in 1971, when Playboy went public, and became a multi-millionaire.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:30 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
As a now 73 year old female, I'll confess I always looked at Playboy magazines owned by my male friends. And yep, the first thing I did was unfold the centerfold. I then read the jokes (they were the best), loved the letters to the editor, and last but not least, I read the articles, interviews, and stories.

I can't remember at what point I stopped. I suppose when I moved away (physically and emotionally) from my male friends and settled on one, who didn't buy Playboy.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:36 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Maybe the repressed and\or dumber ones. He main-streamed sex. That's one big foot in the door for the US to escape it's puritanical roots. Ironically, he arguably helped women more than men.
I'm hardly repressed *or* dumb, but I wasn't a fan of Hugh Hefner.

I mean, I feel like basically everything he did was directly related to enabling him living out his repressed teenage fantasies. He literally made a lifestyle out of coercing much MUCH younger women into sex with the promise of money/fame/success and controlling every aspect of their lives. So yeah, he did push for some societal changes that were ultimately positive for women, but as a man and a human being he was a controlling, rapey, misogynistic creep.

Did some good come from his having existed? Sure. But he was still a f***ing creep, and the fact that so many men say he was "living the dream" REALLY skeeves me out, considering just how Hef treated women (all of this is WELL documented, and no, I'm not doing the work for you beyond posting one article. If you really care enough to argue I expect you care enough to google).

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/...-abusive-creep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities