Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 08:03 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, I couldn't understand why this guy was so admirable.

Then I did a Google search.

Wow! He did help a lot of people, and was influential in civil and gay rights.

And he was only giving people what they really wanted anyway, even if some of it might have been objectionable to some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I guess I'm in the minority who thinks that American society would have been better off if Heff had sold hats for a living.
If not him, then it would have been someone else. America has been on the road to perdition since WWII when growing affluence began to separate us from our moral groundings.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:55 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
To those who say he exploited women, who was there that didn't want to be?

Old 09-28-2017, 10:57 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
To those who say he exploited women, who was there that didn't want to be?
It's not just that he exploited women. It's that he normalized the sexualization and objectification of women.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Perverting minds of young vulnerable girls...............

............when I was a teen and saw the pictorials of the playmates, I yearned to be out of my father's house, to have that kind of independence. That's the message I took from the magazine, right or wrong.

What can we say? For decades, the magazine was one source of the definition of beauty.

As far as the people who bought the mansion, I could picture them asking the butler, "Please ask Mr. Hefner if he wants to join us for dinner.".

As things go, there are a lot of pictures of Hef in my diaries, but for a different reason. The F-250 is code named "Big Bunny", though not in reference to Playboy, but when I make an entry about it, it is likely that the picture reference will be of The Big Bunny.

Further, there are pictures of this or that Playmate that I hold an attachment to for this or that, such as (the late) Bridgette Rollins.

One thing about the Hughs is that I think the reason they live so long is that they know they weren't be young forever and they let time take its toll. Such as it was with O'Brian (dead last year), such as it is with Hef.

We all go some time and while my mother saw him as something of a pimp, I think I will toast him today.

..........................even if he did pervert the mind of a young vulnerable girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I guess I'm in the minority who thinks that American society would have been better off if Heff had sold hats for a living.
We-ll, the magazine was first going to be named "Stag Party" instead of Playboy.....but that would have been a disaster. Can you imagine the "Bunnies" wearing antlers instead of bunny ears? (I'm paraphrasing the magazine when I first read that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Sure is. Looks like the date on the mag is 1990. The Donald was slim and trim back then.
"Nice magazine. Want to sell it?" That cover?

As it was, that's him. HEY, if it is good enough for Jimmy Carter, it is good enough for the sitting President.

As it is, I have that issue, it is sitting on the shelf somewhere, I recall unpacking in and putting it up.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:13 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's not just that he exploited women. It's that he normalized the sexualization and objectification of women.
When PlayGirl (an extension of Playboy) was around nobody had anything to say.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:17 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Shrug, I always thought that I myself would never do it but if others do, whatever.

I loved the show "Girls Next Door", I'm currently rewatching it when I heard the news. I'm sad, he really is an icon. He was one of those I thought would live forever.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:24 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Maybe the repressed and\or dumber ones. He main-streamed sex. That's one big foot in the door for the US to escape it's puritanical roots. Ironically, he arguably helped women more than men.
Maybe he had a hand in it, but he dressed women up in costumes and treated them like interchangeable playthings or party favors. I find that a lot more disturbing than the 'free love' attitude of the hippie generation for example.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:27 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Again, they wouldn't have been there if they hadn't wanted to be. If the bunnies wanted to be normalized and objectified, oh, well, their choice.

There were a lot of careers back then that objectified women. Airline stewardess, for example. Sexy, sexy, sexy. And of course modeling. Go-Go dancing. And so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
When PlayGirl (an extension of Playboy) was around nobody had anything to say.
Yah. I don't remember anyone saying Burt was being sexualized. He liked it and so did we! Then he'd go on Carson wearing those skin tight leather pants and he and Johnny would shoot aerosol whipped cream down the inside front of each other's pants. Good old days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSXagne82ak

Old 09-28-2017, 12:21 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
to me, it's not only about the magazine. it was everything. his whole lifestyle. creepy old man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities