Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 04:38 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I can't help but think that he had a horrifically agonizing battle, judging by his appearance in recent months. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

I went through a HUGE Toby Keith phase in the mid- to late- 2000s. Attended four or five of his concerts, one of them from the third row. He definitely knew how to put on a show. I know he was most widely known for his patriotic and party songs, but he was really underrated as a balladeer. I think it's time to bust out the old playlist and enjoy some of his art.

Rest well Toby!
Same. Saw him twice in concert and while I’m Canadian, I loved his patriotic songs. I also loved his sense of humour that came through in so many of his songs. He was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2015.

I’m not a big country fan but there is just something about him that set him apart from other artists. I hate that I’m writing about him in past tense.

Raising a red solo cup in his memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 07:16 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
I was hoping he would beat it but I watched an interview with him from a couple weeks ago and he didn't look good. Still, he sat with the reporter for over two hours and talked to her. It was a featured story out of a news station in Oklahoma. His spirits were high and he remained positive but I think he knew because he spoke "things" being out of his hands.

I've been a TK fan since the very beginning of his career. I must have at least 16 of his CDs; hardly a dent in the number of ones he recorded but every one of them, special to me. Not enough good things to say about him. He was a good man. A patriotic man. A man who thought of others and was humble about his success. One heckuva good songwriter and performer. He made two movies; Beer For My Horses and Broken Bridges. He was a man of strong faith, too. Something many people dismiss today but it was his faith that gave him the strength to endure this. He said so in the interview.

I'm sad that there won't be anymore songs coming from Toby but I'm really glad to have the ones that are here. RIP to Toby and my sincere condolences to his family and his crew; his band members, road crew and everyone behind the scenes that may not have shared the same blood but were definitely family.

This interview, from two weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiey8FX6oFM

Last edited by JGC97; 02-06-2024 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 08:59 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I like a lot of country music, but I am not a huge fan and I wasn't sure who Toby Keith was. I just now looked it up, and this video truly touched me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc5AWImplfE

Old 02-07-2024, 12:56 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
most people knew him for his music career, i was more familiar with him in the horse racing world. he was a great owner and he would show up to watch his horses run. the fans (and me) loved to see him at the track. he was well known and loved in the racing world, for sure.

rest in peace tk

Old 02-07-2024, 03:38 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Not sure where I place myself.. I obviously knew who he was.. Listened to his music, but, doubt I ever bought an album (I rarely do, so, that's nothing out of the ordinary).. I enjoyed most of his stuff.. hate that he's passed. And it sounds like he had a pretty rough go of it as well.. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

While I wouldn't put him on the Mount Rushmore of country music or anything.. Solid performer. Good Career. And.. like I said above.. Wouldn't wish what he went through on anyone.

We used to have a festival here.. Freedom Weekend Aloft.. I keep thinking I saw him there one time.. They didn't get the top names for that.. Usually the up-and-comers.. I saw Brooks and Dunn there just before they hit it big.. I keep thinking I saw TK there, but.. I just don't remember.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:17 PM

269 posts, read 181,089 times
Saw him perform American Soldier at the inauguration. Glad I still have it on my phone. Can’t believe he’s gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities