Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
"there are so many people using iphones (and other smartphones) that any "prestige" is only in the minds of the self-inflated user or the insecure envious." - DinsdalePirahna

Right, so it does not alter the fact that a certain level of prestige is associated with an iPhone. Thus it becomes a goal for some and almost unattainable for others.
After reading this a couple of times, I might agree that there is a level of prestige, but it sure is unfounded (and inflated). And I don't know any one (barring teens with no jobs, and aren't able to afford the phone) that think the iPhone is unattainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
So Apple can follow your every move.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
After reading this a couple of times, I might agree that there is a level of prestige, but it sure is unfounded (and inflated). And I don't know any one (barring teens with no jobs, and aren't able to afford the phone) that think the iPhone is unattainable.
You are obviously unaware of the level of poverty in America, but this is getting way off topic.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am dying to buy one, but is it worth it?
The most direct and honest answer is........Do you want a phone to talk on or to play with?

There are lot's of really nice devices that one can just talk on which IMO is the sole reason for the cell phone to exist.

Then there are the "toys"of the cell phone world which from your post I'd say is all you can see right now. That said, you can buy all the toys you want at Toys-r-us and still have money left over for a real working cell phone.

So you decide......Talk or Play. Which will it be for you?

Note: Cell companies know that people will buy toys before they will a simple device to just talk on.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Why are you hesitating? Do you think it will have some sort of negative impact on you? I think that worst case is that you don't use it for more than a phone. You're no worse off than you are now.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You are obviously unaware of the level of poverty in America, but this is getting way off topic.
Given the fact that I work with poverty and seen how many smartphones there were I'd say poverty has nothing to do with it.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times

YouTube - iPhone4 vs HTC Evo

^^ This

Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
He released one in favor of the iPhone as well. Too bad he got fired for it. I don't see how making parody videos does any harm.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
It really depends on you. The iPhone, despite any opinion towards Apple or the iPhone in general, are well built devices for the most part. Apple not only designed the phone, but also the OS that goes along with it. Love it, hate it, whatever, the phones OS works really well with the phone.

But, most smart phones out there these days can do what the iPhone can do, with a few exceptions going either way. The iPhone does not support Flash, and never will, but apps and functionality works very well.

I've contemplated the iPhone, mainly because I am a Mac user, but thought against it because I do have an iPad and find the design cool for the tablet, but annoying for a phone.

If you are on Verizon, cost of ownership between an iPhone and other smart phones will cost you the same. But, if you are on AT&T, cost of ownership can be about $30 less a month since AT&T has cheaper plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post

1. Get an iPhone 3GS. It's only $50, before tax, with a two year contract with AT&T. This iPhone only lacks a couple of features present in the current iPhone 4 model.

Apple - iPhone 3GS - View the features of the iPhone 3GS.

2. Get an iPhone 4, the current iPhone model, with AT&T. Faster is better.

Apple - iPhone 4 - Video calls, multitasking, HD video, and more
It is cool that you can still get the 3GS at $50. Unless you have need for a forward-facing camera, the 3GS is one of the best phones out there for the price, and with AT&T you can get 200 mb of data/month for $15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Given the privacy concerns of GPS tracking by Apple and Google on the iPhone and the smart phones using the Android system that have been all over the news the past couple of days it is a concern to consider carefully before purchasing, IMO. YMMV

Friend or Phone? Apple and Google Are Watching You
Yeah, this is a concern, but......the tracking is intended for marketing purposes (i.e., targeting you with specific advertisements based on your "habits"). Sure, it can be used for malicious or other Big Brothery type of intentions, but the reality is that if they really want to keep tabs on you, they have had that ability for many decades, and, there is absolutely no way they can keep tabs on everyone 24/7 (there is just not enough man-power to monitor everyone continuously).

Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
200mb? That's like what, 5 Youtube videos?

200mb is a joke. I use 4GB at least every month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones