Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,046 times

Advertisements

I am dying to buy one, but is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
I don't know? What will you use it for?

I bought two iPhone 3G's (NOT 3Gs's) (one for me and my wife) refurbished and under a discounted family plan from her old work two years ago.

So in our case, we wanted new phones, got a discount and use them for work.

Why the iPhone specifically? At the time it was the best smartphone. There's a lot more competition now, however in terms of overall functionality it is still one of the best.

I certainly didn't get mine to be cool and I really don't care who gets what for what reason, BUT I'd advise against getting one just to get one. You'd be spending close to $1000 a year for a glorified phone.

Plus the new one is coming out in September or so, so if you really want one then I'd wait until then.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:36 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I don't know? What will you use it for?

I bought two iPhone 3G's (NOT 3Gs's) (one for me and my wife) refurbished and under a discounted family plan from her old work two years ago.

So in our case, we wanted new phones, got a discount and use them for work.

Why the iPhone specifically? At the time it was the best smartphone. There's a lot more competition now, however in terms of overall functionality it is still one of the best.

I certainly didn't get mine to be cool and I really don't care who gets what for what reason, BUT I'd advise against getting one just to get one. You'd be spending close to $1000 a year for a glorified phone.

Plus the new one is coming out in September or so, so if you really want one then I'd wait until then.
thanks!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
I would prefer the iPhone since I like the form, navigation and feeling of a quality from the device. Since I am not a hacker or tinkerer, I do like Apple's closed and controlled system which as fewer problems in updates and making apps work properly.

But I also am on contract with Spritn for at least another year. I love Sprint's Coverage and pricing which in my opinion beats the competition hands down.

Im OK with the Android system in general. But since it is open source, many manufacturers rush out "good enough" versions custom made to their devices. Lots of bugs. HTC just came out with the G2 which I was able to play with at work. It has a nice form factor, feels solid like an iphone and when Sprint gets their version, I w will probably buy it (unless Sprint does get the iPhone)

Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
I'm enjoying the iPhone so far over the Motorola Droid and Droid X. The touch screen and motion of the screen is much smoother and on-screen typing is much easier, IMO. The internet loads faster and the WiFi spots pickup quickly when I get near them and downloading is faster. The only thing I do miss is the 8 megapixel camera on the X but in exchange the iPhone has the front facing and rear facing cameras and there is an app that is a must have for the camera that's on sale right now. It's in the "Top 25"...

Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,782 times
The iphone is worth it. I never really wanted one, but came across a good deal on a used one and I feel in love. I used the 3G model and internet/phone bugs where a non issue. Now the new 4 Iphone im sure is a heck-of-alot better. Get one you wont be disappointed.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
A certain level of prestige is associated with being an iPhone owner. This phone is a status of wealth, thus it becomes a goal for some, and almost unattainable for others.

There has only been 4 iPhone models, one model per year. And every year, this phone becomes the phone to beat.

You have two options:

1. Get an iPhone 3GS. It's only $50, before tax, with a two year contract with AT&T. This iPhone only lacks a couple of features present in the current iPhone 4 model.

Apple - iPhone 3GS - View the features of the iPhone 3GS.

2. Get an iPhone 4, the current iPhone model, with AT&T. Faster is better.

Apple - iPhone 4 - Video calls, multitasking, HD video, and more

Old 04-22-2011, 03:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
there are so many people using iphones (and other smartphones) that any "prestige" is only in the minds of the self-inflated user or the insecure envious.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
"there are so many people using iphones (and other smartphones) that any "prestige" is only in the minds of the self-inflated user or the insecure envious." - DinsdalePirahna

Right, so it does not alter the fact that a certain level of prestige is associated with an iPhone. Thus it becomes a goal for some and almost unattainable for others.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am dying to buy one, but is it worth it?
Given the privacy concerns of GPS tracking by Apple and Google on the iPhone and the smart phones using the Android system that have been all over the news the past couple of days it is a concern to consider carefully before purchasing, IMO. YMMV

http://www.govtech.com/e-government/...ching-You.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones