Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Wimax is godsend for me. I get incredible speeds when I'm outside and even in my office (midtown). But when I'm in many buildings it drops off and I'm stuck with their CDMA. My Verizon phone's CDMA destroys Sprint's CDMA data speeds. Same thing when I'm on campus (Princeton University). The NJ Wimax coverage is incredibly spotty since it's basically bleed from NYC and Philly. I'm holding off for LTE to upgrade to an LTE phone.
Verizons cdma is not that great either but its a step up from sprints offerings. Wimax works near windows when insids of a building but when you go deep into a buildings interior the signal faints and cuts off. Hopefully lte is a much stronger signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Verizons cdma is not that great either but its a step up from sprints offerings. Wimax works near windows when insids of a building but when you go deep into a buildings interior the signal faints and cuts off. Hopefully lte is a much stronger signal.
Sprint's LTE will only be marginally better than their Wimax in terms of building penetration. It won't be until 2014 when Sprint brings back up their 800Mhz network that their LTE building penetration will match Verizons.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times
It's called the Samsung Galaxy S3..

Had the Samsung Galaxy S3 not come out, then the Iphone 5 would of been an amazing devce.. But thank's for the S3, the Iphone 5 is mediocre and falls short of the benchmark..

Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
What woudl Iexpect from I[hone?

1. Working VR.

2. Seamless integration with Outlook (which is why I am still waiting for the windows 8 phones.)

3. Ability to run word and excel.

4. Get rid of the stupid propriatary chargers and connectors and got o micro USB or mini usb.

5. A nav system that works as well as google android in every way without a monthly subscription.

6. revmovable battey with incredible battery live.

7. Something new that I never thoguht my phone could do for me. Integration with a car computer to provide infomration on ll systems while driving? Tracking my kids phones and alerting me when/if they go certain places? Who knows, usually they come pup with something unexpected. I guess I have come to expect soemthing unexpected.

8. I would also like to see a few improvements thaty all should have. A complete silence button. Not one that silences most applications, but somethign that physically disconnections all speakers. A camera diabler button that physcially diables the camera (for ourtrooms). A hard off button. A car charger cord that does not get tangled around everything. a truely durable phone. The Iphone is absurdly fragile so you have to buy a majorly expensive case and increase the size and weight. All of the current phones from anyone are designed to break. Why cant they make something durable?

there is zero innovation in this new Iphone. Not one thing is really new. One of the other companies is going to come out with something that is actually new, and they will be playing catch up again. VR that actually works may be the first step. S

It is funny they have a waiting list at all. It must be simply people it is an Iphone. "We almost caught up with the Samsung S3" cannot posisbly be getting people all excited.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 AM

290 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

Had the Samsung Galaxy S3 not come out, then the Iphone 5 would of been an amazing devce.. But thank's for the S3, the Iphone 5 is mediocre and falls short of the benchmark..
I love my S3

Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

The Samsung Galaxy s3 is a fine phone... but it's still a Samsung Android and all that comes with that. It's not as black and white you make it seem. Phones are not all about hardware.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM

290 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy s3 is a fine phone... but it's still a Samsung Android and all that comes with that. It's not as black and white you make it seem. Phones are not all about hardware.
I can check the forecast, facebook, twitter, news stories, and play music without ever having to open an app. I can make my phone's UI look damn near any way I want. That's the beauty of great software.

iOS has looked pretty much identical since day one and there isn't much you can do to change that.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCoupe View Post
I can check the forecast, facebook, twitter, news stories, and play music without ever having to open an app. I can make my phone's UI look damn near any way I want. That's the beauty of great software.

iOS has looked pretty much identical since day one and there isn't much you can do to change that.
Yes, all true... You're focusing on features rather than user experience. I suggest you read: About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design: Alan Cooper,Robert Reimann,David Cronin: 9780470084113: Amazon.com: Books

Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy III is underwhelming. I'm sure it's a good phone, but I don't feel compelled to jump to Android to use it.

I agree re: user experience.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCoupe View Post

This is what I love about android is that itsvery customizable. On my galaxy s3 I have 6 different tile screens which are tools which helps assest me, calender, hands on, entertainment media which has movies, sprint tv, games, netflix, photos music widget, social media, information media. Most apps on these tiles are widgets which I dont have to open the app to use it. Much of these widgets are displaying information. I have one app taht I like that has stock ticker similar to what you see on Times Square. My favorite tile is my hands on homescreen which has my messaging apps voicemail, clock widget, finance folder for my banking, credit, and invest information, camera, notepad for quick information, and last play store market place. ios does look dated visually gui department, ios should try to change its inferface however people have grown to love and embrace Apples iphone gui and any slight change might alienate some users a good example is that 8 pin connector dock. What I love about android and windows 8 is that thier oses show updated informtion with out ever opening the app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones