U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
 
81 posts, read 111,389 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

I wondering if you can download Android apps in other places than Google Play. The reason I'm looking for this is because some apps are not available in some countries such as "Music Paradise" and others. I'm also asking because sometimes Google take away some apps from Google Play (mostly mp3 apps) but they would still work if you actually download them from somewhere else.

I have found several sites that you can download apps but they just link to Google Play after you click on "download app". Is there no site where you can download apps where you just click on "download" and then you get the app to your drive and at the same time have all old apps even though they are no longer on Google Play? I have found some sites that you can actually download apps to your drive but these sites just contain very limited number of apps and not the ones I'm looking for.

Is seems to me that Google is really strict on having android apps in other places other than their own site...Should I give up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,255 posts, read 3,029,878 times
Reputation: 1085
In general, most cell phone providers (AT&T, Verizon, et. al.) program Android smartphones to only allow apps to be downloaded from Google Play. Ostensibly, this is to insure that you can only download apps that Google has deemed to be safe, virus free, etc. In practice, however, this allows the Google (and Apple, in the case of the iPhone) to allow certain apps, and to disallow other apps, for any reason, or for no reason. It also insures that Google/Apple get a cut of each app that is sold. Indeed, Google and Apple make money from you, long after you buy the phone.

It is possible to modify your phone to allow all kinds of apps to be installed. If you want to know how, a quick Google search for "android rooting" can lead you in the right direction. This process can be risky, and it tends to void warranties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Reputation: 8063
Well there is also the Amazon app store.

AndroidPit:
ww.androidpit.com/en/android-market/free-android-apps

There are others.

You don't need to root. Plenty of ways to get apps without rooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 PM
 
7,249 posts, read 5,706,729 times
Reputation: 7963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
In general, most cell phone providers (AT&T, Verizon, et. al.) program Android smartphones to only allow apps to be downloaded from Google Play. Ostensibly, this is to insure that you can only download apps that Google has deemed to be safe, virus free, etc. In practice, however, this allows the Google (and Apple, in the case of the iPhone) to allow certain apps, and to disallow other apps, for any reason, or for no reason. It also insures that Google/Apple get a cut of each app that is sold. Indeed, Google and Apple make money from you, long after you buy the phone.

It is possible to modify your phone to allow all kinds of apps to be installed. If you want to know how, a quick Google search for "android rooting" can lead you in the right direction. This process can be risky, and it tends to void warranties.
Complete and utter nonsense.

Settings -> Security -> Check the "Unknown Sources" box

Done. No carrier lock down, no google lock down, no rooting required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Complete and utter nonsense.

Settings -> Security -> Check the "Unknown Sources" box

Done. No carrier lock down, no google lock down, no rooting required.
This.

Android is open. You can run any apps from anywhere on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 AM
 
10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This.

Android is open. You can run any apps from anywhere on it.
However, there are apps that can only be installed on rooted phones, and it's not so open (as shipped) that you can remove any apps you want, manufacturers/providers do love their bloatware, to the point that it can interfere with the operation of the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,255 posts, read 3,029,878 times
Reputation: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Complete and utter nonsense.

Settings -> Security -> Check the "Unknown Sources" box

Done. No carrier lock down, no google lock down, no rooting required.
I stand corrected; I was not aware of this setting. I was probably thinking more about the iPhone, which I think is locked down a bit tighter. Of course, the iPhone can also be rooted.

Do keep in mind, however, that the less trusted to source, the more likely you are to down malicious software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 AM
 
80 posts, read 128,821 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Do keep in mind, however, that the less trusted to source, the more likely you are to down malicious software.
Apps being approved for the Play market does not seem to indicate much. Recently read an article which essentially said 30% of the software in the Play market is more or less spyware. I've seen it myself to, things like flashlight applications which are requesting to access the contact data??? Always check what permissions an application is asking for, and think about whether it is reasonable for it to have those permissions before pressing the install button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top