Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 PM

209 posts, read 313,034 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Some background,

I have had from 2015 until now:

1. A basic phone

2. A Laptop

3. Tablet.

While I enjoyed using my tablet, I recently traded in my basic phone for a Smartphone and I discovered that

if you have a tablet, laptop, and Smartphone, the tablet is redundant, since

if you really need a large computer for essay writing or large scale research, document production, the Laptop wins hands down.

if you need an all purpose compact mobile device, smartphones win hands down.

I plan to close out my tablet as soon as the contract expires and give away my tablet.

To those who have used all three:

1. Do you find the tablet serves any purposes that the smartphone does not?

2. Have any of you decided to get rid of the tablet and use only the smartphone?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Tablets are better for watching movies than smart phones but this depends on the size of your tablet and the size of your smart phone. If they are too close in size then the benefit is lost. That's about it.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I have all three, and use them for their specific purpose. I suppose the most versatile is the Surface Pro, since it has a detachable keyboard and a USB port, so can do anything a laptop can including essay writing or large scale research, and document production yet still serve as a tablet. For mine I have a 24" monitor that I can connect it to, much larger than any laptop.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:06 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
I use all three. The tablet is great when I'm working in my car. A laptop is too big for that. The tablet is still great for presentations. Just two that pop into my head.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
I use them all.

The phone is good for reading internet, FB, email, etc if I'm out and about, but at home, I'd far rather read on the tablet screen. I like being able to access the internet from any seat in the house. For heavy typing, I switch to the laptop or desktop. Sure, you don't "have" to have them all, but it is nice.

I also use the tablet as a tv to watch in bed sometimes, even the large smartphones are too small for that.

Last edited by Debsi; 03-23-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 10:33 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
I have a desktop, a tablet and a smartphone.

I use the tablet mostly for watching movies, TV and reading articles and internet stuff. While I do the same on my iPhone, the larger screen on the iPad mini makes doing all of the above more enjoyable. Plus it saves "wear and tear" on my smartphone. And there is no need for a laptop since the tablet does 98% of what I need a "real" computer for. I am typing this on my desktop as it is easier and I don't mind walking to our office to type on a real keyboard.

But the most important thing is when we travel or camp, Mrs5150 and I can watch movies or TV shows together on one device. The tablet takes up so little room compared to our old laptop. When the laptop died a year ago I saw no reason to replace it.

Also our tablet is not on contract. We just bought it outright. It is wifi only and if we are away from home, I just tether it to one of our phones. Much cheaper than buying a tablet that uses data-initial cost and no monthly connection fee.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:48 PM

133 posts, read 90,480 times
I have a desktop - I don't use much. If I ever use it it's to use the freaking A software to watch TV show or movie.

I have a tablet - I mostly use it to play games which takes MOST of my time.

I have a smartphone - I mostly use to listen to music while navigating maps.

I have a laptop - I mostly use for web surfing and Foruming.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,991 times
I used to have a 7 inch tablet but liked a smaller phone better so I sold the tablet off.
I tried a 5 inch phone as a phone/tablet but it was still too big to carry around. I like my small 4.3 inch Samsung Galaxy J1 phone to carry around. I have become accustomed to reading books on it pretty well also. I have an assortment of 4.5-5 inch phones that I can put my SIM card in to use but I keep going back to the smaller J1 phone.

I also have a 15 inch Windows laptop and a 11 inch Chromebook.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,860,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

To those who have used all three:

1. Do you find the tablet serves any purposes that the smartphone does not?

2. Have any of you decided to get rid of the tablet and use only the smartphone?

Thanks
I use my phone at work & at home when the little one is awake for about 40 sec increments. Once the little one is asleep I use the tablet. Tablet it so much more enjoyable to use with the larger display. I don't even bother to play games or watch videos on the phone. Phone is 4.7 inches so not tiny, but I feel it's a little small even for a phone. I'm constantly zooming in or holding my phone closer even with larger text enabled. I really want to trial a 5.5 inch display.

I like the tablet because it gives me the portability similar to the phone along with the larger display closer to a laptop. It's nice to use while lounging on the floor, couch or bed for the places the laptop may not work the best & the phone is again too small to really enjoy using. I'll even walk around the house doing things while hold the tablet & scroll with 1 hand (9.7 inch display.) Now if I really want to be productive, I'll use the laptop which is a much better experience overall than the tablet.

I've started to use a stylus with the tablet & I really like it. Makes swiping and scrolling much less effortful. Drawing is fun thing to do while watching TV.

Also, I prefer taking the tablet on trips due it's size.

Regarding #2 above. I have a few times thought of selling the tablet but then find another reason to keep it. Now that I use it once a week for work I'm definitely not selling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones