Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 AM

1,686 posts, read 3,962,527 times

Advertisements

Just had a message pop up on my IPhone that I needed to set a Two Factor Authentication. DO I? Is this necessary or a PITA?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 12:32 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,574,057 times
It’s not mandatory but it’s an added level of protection.

Be very careful though you may have someone trying to phish you. If you want to set it up go to www.apple.com and navigate through their website. I’d not trust a pop up on the iPhone.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:08 PM

1,686 posts, read 3,962,527 times
Thanks!

Old 03-23-2018, 08:12 PM

20,302 posts, read 37,255,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Thanks!
It is not a bad idea to have it, but it really gets in the because often you have to use the cellphone, or tablet, or computer to login at Apple in order to authorize something. For example, if using the Apple TV and need to purchase a movie or something, then I have to respond to an authorization message on my laptop or cellphone, before being able to pay for it. It is a security measure used by Apple so that other people don't charge something on your credit card.

If you don't like it, the best way to get rid of it is by calling Apple and having it disabled, or you can do as explained here (toward the bottom of the page), but you have to use your computer to login:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Old 03-23-2018, 10:18 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,837,077 times
Like so many other security measures, you need to assess your risk vs the hassle.
If you're the only one who has physical access to the phone, and you're not the type to looses it often, and don't use it for financial trading and such, then you might not need it.

If the opposite, you should consider some additional security.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM

734 posts, read 764,548 times
Absolutely don't trust a popup, or click on it. But it's definitely a good idea to use for every site that provides it. That includes email (Gmail, Yahoo, etc), Facebook, Twitter, plus any and all financial sites.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,153,291 times
It's worth doing, if you care about the data in your account. Follow the steps in the article at the link below to set it up.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Old 04-28-2018, 01:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
I find it ironic that Apple being supposedly easy to use but put their users through the most annoying pop-ups.

For example, if you don't unlock your iPhone for awhile it forces you to put your PIN. If you restarted you have to put a PIN to use it. Doesn't matter if you have FaceID or TouchID, it still forces you to go through PIN unlock almost daily.

On the app side, if you want to buy an app it prompts you to put the AppleID password then asks you if its ok to use TouchID for future purchases. You click yes. Then after a few more purchases a few days later it asks for itunes password again. Mainly because your iTunes accts been used on other devices it prompts you again as a security measure. Then you repeat the step to turn on TouchID purchase again.

It's just so many annoyances for a simple device.

On the Android side, I've got touchID enabled on my S8 Plus and never prompted for Google Playstore password for purchases, NEVER.

I get the new S9 Plus, logged in with my Google acct and copied all my settings over and my new phone is ready with my apps and some settings without having to re-do much.

The iPhone, just having a new device is annoying. If you have the cheapo 5GB iCloud acct it doesn't bring over much settings at all and it takes more time and work to setup a new iPhone than another Android.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:29 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,065,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Just had a message pop up on my IPhone that I needed to set a Two Factor Authentication. DO I? Is this necessary or a PITA?

thanks!
I have 2FA everywhere I can. With regard to the iphone, I have had people trying to hack into my itunes account, but were blocked because I had the 2FA enabled. If I had not had it enabled, they could have run a large bill that I may or may not have been able to straighten out. Glad it never came to that.

I keep my phone locked at all times (when not using it, of course). I am old and pretty paranoid and have disabled a lot of features many younger people use.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,472,890 times
I use it on all of my accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones