Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 08:46 AM

15,426 posts, read 9,107,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The number of nuisance calls I receive has gone down since July 1, but has not stopped completely.
Mine have almost completely stopped. In the last month (probably more then a month) I have gotten only one robocall. It was from my healthcare provider warning me that there was a heatwave in my county. Which was dumb. Because I'm old enough to know how to protect myself from heat, and anyway, there may have been a heat wave somewhere in my county, but where I am at the temperature hasn't gotten over 68 degrees all summer. So I think I'm pretty safe from heat. I hope this will put a stop to the worthless over concern health calls from my healthcare provider.

My normal amount of robocalls was probably about one per day on average. It's nice that they are gone, but not really that big a deal. All my calls go to voice mail anyway. When I hear a recording, I delete the message immediately. So this will probably save me about 1 minute per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 05:02 PM
KCZ

4,680 posts, read 3,677,933 times
I'm getting more car warranty calls than ever, maybe 10-12/day that ring the phone and who knows how many are blocked... I can't really see that govt intervention has helped this problem at all over the past few years. Most are 877 area code numbers. I think more pressure needs to be exerted on the phone companies to deal with this because it's a technology problem as much as a criminal problem.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:34 AM

4,148 posts, read 3,066,054 times
I had a message from someone in South Carolina a few days ago. Apparently, she received a spoofed call from my number and wanted to know what I wanted. The FCC needs to continue to work on this problem.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:39 AM

847 posts, read 1,352,505 times
Now if they could figure out how to get it to stop from India!

Old 08-13-2021, 11:40 AM

847 posts, read 1,352,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm getting more car warranty calls than ever, maybe 10-12/day that ring the phone and who knows how many are blocked... I can't really see that govt intervention has helped this problem at all over the past few years. Most are 877 area code numbers. I think more pressure needs to be exerted on the phone companies to deal with this because it's a technology problem as much as a criminal problem.

Especially since many of them are coming from India. Not sure what the FFC here in the US can do about that.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:41 PM

6,487 posts, read 10,369,123 times
I have always wondered, when was call spoofing started and why was it allowed in the first place ?? I would like to see it outlawed as I don't see a legitimate reason for it. If privacy was the reason, just allow for call blocking instead. I don't answer calls when the number is blocked myself.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Especially since many of them are coming from India. Not sure what the FFC here in the US can do about that.
I would like to see each phone customer have the option to block all calls from foreign countries.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have always wondered, when was call spoofing started and why was it allowed in the first place ?? I would like to see it outlawed as I don't see a legitimate reason for it. If privacy was the reason, just allow for call blocking instead. I don't answer calls when the number is blocked myself.
I remember reading that decades ago, Ohio Bell was going to offer the same caller ID that 1-800 numbers have to all customers. It was opposed by an unholy alliance of law enforcement & privacy rights organizations. As you cannot block your caller ID when calling a toll-free number, this would have eliminated all anonymous & spoofed calls. I am a strong supporter of law enforcement, but they were wrong on this issue.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:38 PM

15,426 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Mine have almost completely stopped. In the last month (probably more then a month) I have gotten only one robocall. It was from my healthcare provider warning me that there was a heatwave in my county. Which was dumb. Because I'm old enough to know how to protect myself from heat, and anyway, there may have been a heat wave somewhere in my county, but where I am at the temperature hasn't gotten over 68 degrees all summer. So I think I'm pretty safe from heat. I hope this will put a stop to the worthless over concern health calls from my healthcare provider.

My normal amount of robocalls was probably about one per day on average. It's nice that they are gone, but not really that big a deal. All my calls go to voice mail anyway. When I hear a recording, I delete the message immediately. So this will probably save me about 1 minute per day.
My healthcare provider just sent me another heat advisory warning robocall. The temperature here is still in the mid 60s. I'm not even running my air conditioning. There is not even any rational for their stupid robocalls.

But aside from the bogus heat advisory warnings, I haven't been getting any other robocalls. So the FCC's actions must be working.

I am kind of missing some of the messages already though. The ones like: "This is the Internal Revenue Service. We have an urgent matter to discuss with you. There is a warrant out for your arrest in Texas. You need to call us back immediately at this number or you will be arrested. Call us now!" spoken in extremely broken English. I'm going to miss the laughs from those type of calls.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:06 PM

4,869 posts, read 4,814,778 times
If these calls are stopped, I will never be able to get a warranty on my 6 year old car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones