Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I do worry about this because my daughter is going to go to a church preschool downtown....I wanted a preschool in Mt. Pleasant but they all had long waiting lists. I am excited for her because it is such a beautiful environment but I also worry that she will be excluded. If' I'm excluded I can handle that (wouldn't be the first time) but I don't want my daughter to be snubbed.

That's going a bit overboard, they are children for goodness sakes.
Children are as raw and true as it gets....and unless they have been
taught that, which I would highly doubt, then there is nothing to
worry about.

Yeah, there are some that are snobby but the picture that is being painted in
this thread makes one wonder that if people think it is so snobbish then why move there?

With that said, want to meet smug, arrogance and snobbish? Move to Charlotte......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
I do worry about this because my daughter is going to go to a church preschool downtown....I wanted a preschool in Mt. Pleasant but they all had long waiting lists. I am excited for her because it is such a beautiful environment but I also worry that she will be excluded. If' I'm excluded I can handle that (wouldn't be the first time) but I don't want my daughter to be snubbed.
I can understand how that would be a concern, but I can't imagine that would be the case in a pre-school environment? I would assume at that age that inclusion is favored over exclusion, mainly to keep the peace at any cost. I was actually referring to the local adults, and their attitudes towards newcomers.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
That's going a bit overboard, they are children for goodness sakes.
Children are as raw and true as it gets....and unless they have been
With that said, want to meet smug, arrogance and snobbish? Move to Charlotte......LOL

Kitty, I didn't say it was LOGICAL, just a mother's worry. Doesn't every mom whose child is going to school for the first time worry that they'll fit in?

You did make me feel better though.

Oh, and I wrote that about Charlotte in my previous post.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Kitty, I didn't say it was LOGICAL, just a mother's worry. Doesn't every mom whose child is going to school for the first time worry that they'll fit in?

You did make me feel better though.

Oh, and I wrote that about Charlotte in my previous post.
I remembered what you said about Charlotte after I typed....
not sure when you lived here but it seems in the past year or two
it has gotten worse. : /

Don't sweat it over fitting in, you will do fine.....it's nothing like
Charlotte and the people in Charleston are pretty awesome!
Can't wait to live there myself......

Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the encouraging worda!

We lived in Charlotte for almost 3 years, til mid-2008. I have never been able to figure out why it was so uppity, but at least I'm not the only one to think so. I can totally understand you wanting to move on to Charleston!

PS: The weather in Charlotte was not to my liking, either!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 PM

339 posts, read 1,167,050 times
Thank you for all of your responses - I feel much better now This move wasn't planned, but we are trying to be grateful that my husband has a job and not a pink slip like many of the folks on the canceled Constellation program.

We are looking forward to doing so much exploring – I am very fond of historical venues, old home tours and the like. I fell in love with Savannah years ago and find Charleston similar. While it is tearing me up to leave my newly married daughter behind – the move marks a new time for my husband and I – and Charleston has the promise of kid free romance for us J

Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
My wife teaches in elementary school, she says that when you look out over the PreK and Kindergarten playground it is like it should be all the little children playing together, it isn't until like the third or Fourth grade that you start to see separations in both socioeconomic and racial areas....

Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
My husband's job has required us to move three times in the last 10 years - the city.data forums for the last two areas I moved to were very friendly and wonderful about helping me get my kids setup in school, locating services, finding things to do, places to eat and so on. While there some wonderful folks who answer questions in this forum - I am a bit taken aback by the tone of some of the posts. Some have been almost hostile to new commers.

I really hope that this is just a few posters - more than anything I hope that what a woman from Seattle who has lived in the south 20 years told me - "Charleston is the only place in the South that we felt like outsiders."

I really hope it isn't true.
I really wouldn't worry:

The vast majority of people in the Trident Area are boomtowners- 'newcommers' as you put it.

They set the tone for the area's culture.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Thanks TomCat and everyone else. At my son's first preschool, there was a birthday party and every other kid was invited except him. Of course this was in Charlotte. To do that to a 4 year old in unpardonable on the parent's part, if you ask me. As you see, I am still not recovered from it.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
We are looking forward to doing so much exploring – I am very fond of historical venues, old home tours and the like. I fell in love with Savannah years ago and find Charleston similar. While it is tearing me up to leave my newly married daughter behind – the move marks a new time for my husband and I – and Charleston has the promise of kid free romance for us

Yes...focus on the positives! Even with all the moves you've done in the past, it is so normal to feel apprehensive about what is new and different. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: