Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,356 times

Advertisements

We moved to South Carolina a little over a year ago, seven months later my daughter and her family had a terrible thing happen at their house. I unknowingly told them they could stay at our house just until they found a house, well, seven months later they are still here. My son in law informed me of this more than stupid, more than outrageous, did I say more than stupid law? Please help, I have beautiful grandkids that I don't want to loose because of this! 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 05:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Nothing good new,deadbolts can't fix.

Ps Plike...your SIL sounds like a di*k. Sorry. Smh. Maybe rent them a,garage apartment for a month so they become someone else's problems.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:21 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plike View Post
We moved to South Carolina a little over a year ago, seven months later my daughter and her family had a terrible thing happen at their house. I unknowingly told them they could stay at our house just until they found a house, well, seven months later they are still here. My son in law informed me of this more than stupid, more than outrageous, did I say more than stupid law? Please help, I have beautiful grandkids that I don't want to loose because of this! 
I'm not sure what you expect people to be able to fix?

Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 AM

657 posts, read 739,084 times
Tell your son in law he's a POS.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:35 PM

116 posts, read 108,081 times
Something about this "law" doesn't add up. It makes it seem like I can live rent-free/mortgage-free somewhere if I trick a person to let me spend the night just once. Sure I might have to buy my own food (since the person obviously won't want to cook for me if they're trying to kick me out), but there are no provisions at all to nullify "residency" if certain requirements aren't met?

Old 09-12-2018, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 740 times
I think it’s horrible. My mom called 911 twice because her boyfriend broke the door down to get in and he was intoxicated. Also the officers “tried” fix the door with a screw and hammer which didn’t work for the second because he broke it off the hinges. Then we told the officers we feel threatened and he told US to leave our own home. He broke my moms door and they gave him a pat on the wrist and said “Go lay on the couch”. I live in Fairfield County and this is the most unlawful situation i’ve been through. Then THE POLICE DIDNT EVEN TAKE PICTURES OF THE BROKEN DOOR. But i have them. We also put two wood stick against the door and he broke it down. Someone please tell me who do I need to speak with about this.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaijha Brown View Post
I think it’s horrible. My mom called 911 twice because her boyfriend broke the door down to get in and he was intoxicated. Also the officers “tried” fix the door with a screw and hammer which didn’t work for the second because he broke it off the hinges. Then we told the officers we feel threatened and he told US to leave our own home. He broke my moms door and they gave him a pat on the wrist and said “Go lay on the couch”. I live in Fairfield County and this is the most unlawful situation i’ve been through. Then THE POLICE DIDNT EVEN TAKE PICTURES OF THE BROKEN DOOR. But i have them. We also put two wood stick against the door and he broke it down. Someone please tell me who do I need to speak with about this.

Call an attorney. If you can’t afford one, call the local Bar Association office and see if there is an attorney willing to do it pro bono for you. Also, a women’s shelter may have legal counsel available to help.

Best of luck.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:08 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
LOL - no pregnant wife...

We allowed someone to stay with us after getting beat up, found out they were being evicted, so allowed them to move their belongings into our garage - until they got their feet on the ground. We eventually asked them to leave (long story), which they did saying they'd come back in days to get their stuff. We were listing the house for sale, and wanted to declutter the house/garage - and wanted this stuff gone. Legally, since they left their stuff at our house - it was still their "legal" residence. We couldn't legally dispose of their stuff, until we evicted them. At first we were told we couldn't evict them without us knowing where they were,. We found out where they were, then we had the problem of us living in one county them being located in another county. You have to file with the Magistrates office in which YOU reside, but it has to be hand served to the individual - the Magistrates office does not serve outside of the county.

Usually if you're evicting someone, they're still living with you - so this isn't an issue, they serve them at YOUR residence. Since this individual was staying in another county, we were screwed. We couldn't evict them, we couldn't dispose of their items LEGALLY. This was all news to us - never heard of such a thing. Very frustrating after many visits to Sheriff's Dept, Magistrate's office, sent from Dorchester to Berkeley to Charleston county, then back to Dorchester - it was very frustrating.
Sounds like a lot of this could be fixed with a phone call to the tenant. Have you tried calling him/her to come pick up their things, or ask them if they still wanted those things? Call them and ask them if it's okay to throw the stuff they left behind in the trash, problem solved.

I know it's never that easy, but perhaps it's an issue that can be worked out with the tenant. Government is going to tell you rules and regulations, not help you resolve your issue. They enforce rules, they make rules, they don't use common sense and they don't pick sides. Use the govt as a last resort, once all else has failed.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 452 times
YI just found out about this law. I let a family member stay with me a couple of days and now she won't leave. Police told me that I have to go through the court to evict them. But, here the real problem the cop told me that she is allowed to have guest and that she can give them permission to stay the night. So when that person stays one night and doesn't want to leave I will have to go through the court again to get rid of that person. I'm screwed, I can't go to sleep because they will steal everything I have while I'm asleep. If you live in South Carolina don't let anyone stay at your house because they will have more rights than you in a house that you paid for and you are paying all the bills they still have the same rights as you. If I ever get rid of this person I will never help anyone again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: