Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM

22 posts, read 81,049 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Mount Pleasant, SC and I was wondering the Pro's and Con's of Wando High School. Thank you to anyone who answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM

63 posts, read 254,714 times
I moved to MP last year in August and one of our kids goes to Wando. He entered this school year as a Junior.

I believe Wando is one of, if not the biggest public high schools in SC. It's also one of the top rated public high schools in SC. I believe their principal won principal of the year last year.

There's about 3,500 or so kids at this school. Our son came from a HS of only 800, so it was a bit of a culture shock for him. His football team at his former high school was decent. Wando's high school football program is more of a mini-institution.

I think they do a good if not great job with the academics. There are a multitude of opportunities for after school activities including sports, clubs, organizations, you name it. Additionally the school offers a lot of other courses at school besides the basics.

On the downside, I know that the traffic in and out of Wando before and after school is no fun if you are dropping your kid off. Also, probably because they are so busy with all those kids, the administration does not do so much "hand holding" to the parents as some other schools may do.

But overall, I'd say the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages. I'd rather have more opportunities and programs available for the kids. As well as getting a top SC Public school education.

Check out their web site and read some school reviews. We did this before we moved to the area and one of the main reason we chose MP was the school district.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_GoBucks View Post
I moved to MP last year in August and one of our kids goes to Wando. He entered this school year as a Junior.

I believe Wando is one of, if not the biggest public high schools in SC. It's also one of the top rated public high schools in SC. I believe their principal won principal of the year last year.

There's about 3,500 or so kids at this school. Our son came from a HS of only 800, so it was a bit of a culture shock for him. His football team at his former high school was decent. Wando's high school football program is more of a mini-institution.

I think they do a good if not great job with the academics. There are a multitude of opportunities for after school activities including sports, clubs, organizations, you name it. Additionally the school offers a lot of other courses at school besides the basics.

On the downside, I know that the traffic in and out of Wando before and after school is no fun if you are dropping your kid off. Also, probably because they are so busy with all those kids, the administration does not do so much "hand holding" to the parents as some other schools may do.

But overall, I'd say the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages. I'd rather have more opportunities and programs available for the kids. As well as getting a top SC Public school education.

Check out their web site and read some school reviews. We did this before we moved to the area and one of the main reason we chose MP was the school district.

It sounds great thank you for taking the time out and answering so quickly!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,433,091 times
Cons it's a huge campus/ large amount of students... if you came from a small school. Pros It's great! My daughter graduated last year and I have one starting there next year.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
It is huge but not the largest in the state, I believe that is still Dorman in Spartanburg county....

Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,853,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
It is huge but not the largest in the state, I believe that is still Dorman in Spartanburg county....

its still wando with dorman a close second.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
3229 for Wando and 3214 for Dorman so it is a real close second........

Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Thank You for all your replies! =]

Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,853,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
3229 for Wando and 3214 for Dorman so it is a real close second........

Per the SDE 45 day enrollment count:
Wando 3392
Dorman 3233

but yes on any given day you're not gonna notice a 100 student difference. especially in a 3,000+ building.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,000,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Per the SDE 45 day enrollment count:
Wando 3392
Dorman 3233

but yes on any given day you're not gonna notice a 100 student difference. especially in a 3,000+ building.
Guessing graduation day would suck if your last name is Zellweger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area