Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM

369 posts, read 1,095,737 times

Advertisements

I am asking about things to do to show me what every day life would be like if I move to this area. I have done the tourist thing when I was here last year and went downtown, but that's all I really know of the city. Do locals still frequent downtown or is it like my city where I never have to go downtown if there is no reason, life outside downtown is where the city is or is it opposite here? If that makes sense...

I am trying to get a feel if this city fits me... I read in another post to remember what initially draws me to the area to figure out where to live, but how important is where you live to where you work? No idea of the traffic in the areas? My work place would be in North Charleston, but the reason I want to live in the south again is purely beach reasons... However affordability near the beach is nothing like it was in MB, so not sure if that is a possibility.

I figured tomorrow will be spent just driving around, however I don't want to just be in a mindless state having nowhere to really go. Are there malls... discount stores (like Ross). Is there a Burlington Coat Factory? Super walmart? (i can't imagine BIG grocery shopping trips elsewhere, sorry!) What places should I absolutely put on my list to check out (touristy or not) that would give me a sense of the place?

A little random I know, but this is a very real possibility I will be living here in 2 months and I am a big believer in liking where you live. I read good and bad things, which is the way it is everywhere, but I want to fit in and enjoy myself, I am not a young college student anymore but I do like to socialize as well as have down time.

I have a dog and have read about dog parks which sound good, especially the one on James Island. Are there hiking trails or places I can take her? (She's gonna be the only one I know haha)
with so many "transplants" are people still generally friendly?

Thanks for y'alls input, I appreciate it and look forward to exploring Charleston tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
Do you have an idea of where you are going to work/live you will want to drive that distance during your normal commute times and see if the traffic is too much or if you need to reconsider you location?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Yes I know where the job is, it is in North Charleston off or near Leeds I think the exit is.. i guess I should wonder what way the traffic would be stopped going east or west on I 26 or is it 526 (lol) in the mornings/evenings? or anywhere for that matter from where i lived. ah! its hard. i am not used to traffic at all.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM

120 posts, read 256,219 times
You will be here just for tomorrow?

If you have time, stop by Red's on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant. It is a bar/restaurant (more of a big bar though) right on the water where you can bring your dog with you. When I first moved out last year about this time, I didn't know anyone either & would bring my dog there in the afternoons on the weekend. I met a lot of people that way. This time of year in the afternoon it's not crazy busy on the weekends so its a good time to go.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM

21 posts, read 31,780 times
Let me know how you like everything and what you decided to check out. I will be doing the same visit next week, also trying to get an idea of "everyday life" so I'm curious about what you find!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM

10 posts, read 35,036 times
if you work in N. Charleston and live in N. Charleston, chances are you will not get out of N. Charleston to enjoy the things you liked when you came here as a tourist. You inquired about " malls... discount stores (like Ross). Burlington Coat Factory,Super walmart" yes, those are here and all are in N. Charleston. If living close to those is a priority, then map them out today before arriving and maybe drive to them on the route you would take to work and back. As you are driving, take a look at the surroundings ask yourself if you like what you see and do you like the area that these stores are located in.
My advise is to live as close to the beach or downtown as you can afford. This also means that you will most likely have a reverse commute therefore avoiding the bulk of the work commute traffic.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
Yes I know where the job is, it is in North Charleston off or near Leeds I think the exit is.. i guess I should wonder what way the traffic would be stopped going east or west on I 26 or is it 526 (lol) in the mornings/evenings? or anywhere for that matter from where i lived. ah! its hard. i am not used to traffic at all.
Leeds is off of 526 or Dorchester Rd, either way puts you on to Leeds Ave.

There are a lot of things on Leeds Ave, but I wouldn't want to live in that area, other than the houses out on the marsh at the end of Leeds Ave, near the old Cumins building.....

If you know where you are going to live also, I would drive it both during the morning and afternoon rush hours so that you have somewhat of a feel for traffic, unless you are going to be working one of the offshifts....

Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,729 times
Don't rule out West Ashley, either. All of those things would be close to West Ashley, and that could put you 10-15 minutes closer to downtown and Folly beach.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,728 times
Sam's Club and a WMT SuperCenter are located near the Tanger Outlet Mall.

I much prefer the Wmt in W. Ashley. Neither of these WMT's compare in cleanliness/neatness/appearance to what I have in my *backyard* (my permanent home is near WMT's headquarters).

If your looking at commute and commute time, be sure you're out on the roads at rush hour(s). Traffic in some parts of town can be horrific.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the input and I'm sure after my look around I may ask some follow up questions and report what I find or observations or such. What are the rush hour times normally, like when does it start and fade off? I travel tomorrow morning from Beaufort, have to be in downtown Charleston at 10 AM and then would be leaving work in north charleston about 6 PM.

thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area