Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 PM

26 posts, read 122,824 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Daniel Island hopefully this year. We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 young kids). We live in Massachusetts and are hoping living expenses such as utilities will be cheaper than here. I know housing prices are cheaper, even on Daniel Island. We are planning to either buy or rent a 4 Bedroom home 2500-3000 sq. ft. Below is what we currently budget. I'd love to hear feedback on how this compares to down there. If anyone knows.

- Cable/Internet/Phone (we have a 3-fer basic package. No HBO or special movie channels) $125 per mos.
- Electric $250 per mos. (averaged over the year)
- Heat (oil) $275 per mos. (averaged over the year) -- this must be lower there, or maybe part of the electric bill?
- Trash pick-up - $45 per mos. (we pay for this service, not included in taxes)
- Water - $0 ( we are on a well)

I imagine food is probably the same. But what about gas prices? Today it was 3.85 per gallon at the cheap gas store.

Am i missing anything else?

LB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 30,352 times
Here's nice site that provides info on gas prices by area:

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

(There's also a nice iphone app for it, as well.)

Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,469 times
We moved here from MA 6 years ago. Rental prices on DI are on average $1/square foot. There are many single family and condo units within walking distance of the DI school. Gas prices tend to run about 20-25 cents a gallon less than MA. Trash pick up is free. There is a nominal fee for recycling pick up, but there is a recycling drop off by Family Circle Tennis (FCT) . Life on DI is worth whatever the costs are.
It is the most wonderful place to live in the entire area of Charleston. Welcome!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,681,957 times
The utilities you listed are very similar to what we are paying here in Mount Pleasant for a 2500 square foot house. Gas and electric are combined for us, and we pay around $400 a month so we're a little lower, but we make up for it with our water bill. No cable here, since we don't really watch TV, but I'm betting it's about the same. I just filled my gas tank today for $3.80, so no real relief for you there. I believe there is only one gas station on Daniel Island, so no real competition for price. I try to remember to fill up evenif I don't need it when I'm out at Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area