Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Cannot stress enough that you should wait and finalize the sale of the home before moving unless you are able to easily carry the mortgage and pay the rent. In today's housing market, the closing of a sale of a house can be a lengthy process. Even with a committed closing date -- you may find changes made at the last minute. Our original closing date was May 31st -- we finally ended up closing August 16th. The closing date was changed 3 times. Time have changed, an offer, a closing date -- doesn't mean it's a deal. I have a dear friend who was told that the sale was a done deal, packed up her house and moved to a rental -- you guessed it -- deal fell through. They now have the mortgage on the first house, paying rent on the second and paying for storage for some of their items.

It is ideal to have kids start on the first day of school but starting two weeks later, a month later or two months later will be fine. Kids are more adaptable than we think, especially in elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 AM

259 posts, read 554,255 times
wait til the ink is dry and the $$$ has paid of your mortage and risdual is in your hands...tuff but the wisest move

Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
The OP can correct me if I'm wrong......

A mortgage was never brought up by the OP. So I ASS-umed that one of two things is true...

1) The OP does not have a mortgage up in NJ so they don't have that to worry about.

2) The OP may have a mortgage, but by not even having that as a concern or part of the conversation they must be able to afford that as well as rent.

If money (a mortgage in NJ) is of no concern, go ahead and move now. If money is a concern, you should state that...and my recommendation would be different.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
The OP can correct me if I'm wrong......

A mortgage was never brought up by the OP. So I ASS-umed that one of two things is true...

1) The OP does not have a mortgage up in NJ so they don't have that to worry about.

2) The OP may have a mortgage, but by not even having that as a concern or part of the conversation they must be able to afford that as well as rent.

If money (a mortgage in NJ) is of no concern, go ahead and move now. If money is a concern, you should state that...and my recommendation would be different.
Good points but if there is no money on the line or no mortgage, why would she have asked?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM

49 posts, read 101,199 times
Thank You all so much, you have really helped to make the decision for me, that it would be best to wait until we actually have a closing before we make the move. (The offer still hasn't come in...lol...we have just been told by the buyer's agent that it will be) In my ideal fantasy world, I imagined moving while the kids were on summer break...I just needed to accept the fact that we are too late in the summer for that to be reality. I was so focused on that, I just needed to get out of my own head. You all put me back into the financial reality of selling, buying and closing on a home. If the kids have to move during the school year than so be it...they will adapt and I will be coming back here for advice on the best way to transition the kids.
We do have a mortgage on our home here in NJ, and could swing rent and a mortgage for a little while, but that seems like a waste if it is all for the sake of the kids starting school at a certain time. And if the deal did fall through, we could be stuck in a very difficult financial situation.
Well guess it is time for me to hop back on this roller coaster of selling a home...keep you all posted! Thanks again for your time and thoughts:-)

Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 PM

49 posts, read 101,199 times
p.s. @accufitgolf...I absolutely love and truly believe this: "Their parents are their lives. They see happy parents, they are happy." As long as we continue to present this all as a positive adventure, then our children will continue to see it that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: