Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times

Advertisements

There is always a debate here about areas and which is better... So I figured I should share this Bad news about Mount Pleasant and crime.

Mount Pleasant sees violent crime go up | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,188 times
According to the newspaper story," 60 percent of the aggravated assaults in 2011 were domestic situations." Might much of this increase be attributed to the deteriorating economic conditions and the resulting increase in household stress ? I suspect if we look at the statistics for aggravated assaults in other areas of Charleston, we will see proportionate increases in such crimes. Just adding a bit of objectivity to the "fair and balanced" news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
There is always a debate here about areas and which is better... So I figured I should share this Bad news about Mount Pleasant and crime.

Mount Pleasant sees violent crime go up | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 AM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Default hold on a minute please

Wasn't going to... but had to toss in my 2 cents/feedback on the post.

Firstly, you mentioned the debate of which areas are better ?
What areas are you referring to in this case when comparing them to MP ?
The entire U.S., the South East, S.C., local neighborhoods ?
People on this post compare MP to all the above in different posts.

Second, it is to me at least, overwhelmingly misleading just list the article title you included, "Mount Pleasant sees violent crime go up". Is this the National Enquirer, N.Y. Daily News just trying to attract readers with your headline as it seems you did ?

Reading the article did indeed state 'violent crime' has gone up in MP. Violent crime constituting murder, rape, aggravated assault etc.

But explains 'only' aggravated assault has risen for the first 7 months. Causing the increase in 'violent crime stats for MP. Most aggravated assaults occur between individuals that know each other, spouses, family, friends etc. Less to 'worry' about for the average resident.

And further points out that 'rape' and 'murder' has actually gone down in the same period mentioned. One would never think that from just seeing your article title.

Listing the post everyone is entitiled to of course, but just listing the title of the article, "Violent crime has risen in MP" is misleading. Yes you placed a link to further read/investigate if one wants to... but many those that just skim the posts only see the title.... misleading to me. One or two more sentences stating only aggravated assault has increased, while in the same period rape and murder has declined would have been more appropriate to list. And a complete different swing on things.

As I said, did not want to comment... but thinking about it and the possible impact it might have, had to comment.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
According to the newspaper story," 60 percent of the aggravated assaults in 2011 were domestic situations." Might much of this increase be attributed to the deteriorating economic conditions and the resulting increase in household stress ? I suspect if we look at the statistics for aggravated assaults in other areas of Charleston, we will see proportionate increases in such crimes. Just adding a bit of objectivity to the "fair and balanced" news.
Joe almost all crime increase can be attributed to the deteriorating economic conditions....

Crime has been on the rise for the last few years all over as people who can't find work resort to crime....

Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
There is always a debate here about areas and which is better.
how does a 1-year update in annual crime stats tell you whether Mt. Pleasant is better or worse than anywhere else?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I was trying to say no area is perfect. Not saying one is better than another. And this article is from the local newspaper I didn't write the article or the title just shared with those interested on crime stats in the area since that question is asked a million times on this forum.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Some things to note about these statistics:

* There's only a 2% increase in non-violent crime, that's most likely statistical noise
* There are fewer rapes and homicides than last year for the same period
* The increase is almost purely in the number of aggravated assaults (75 cases)
* 60% of the aggravated assault are domestic violence situations

Of the 75 cases of aggravated assault, it's likely that about 39 of them were between strangers since aggravated assault cases are about evenly split (http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32308 - broken link) between strangers and individuals who know each other (unless there's something different about Mount Pleasant that skews the numbers, Capt. Gregg is wrong when he says most aggravated assaults happen between people who know each other). Nationwide, aggravated assaults are down as (surprisingly) are criminal acts in general (which means attributing it to the economy probably isn't warranted) ... why you have this increase in aggravated assaults in Mount Pleasant is a mystery. This article from 2009 discusses an increase in gang violence in SC over the preceding decade ... maybe that's part of the answer? The article doesn't talk about gang involvement in the aggravated assaults. Hard to say it's "bad news" without more information on the demographics of those doing the crimes.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I don't trust anything with fair and balanced in the title.....

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't trust anything with fair and balanced in the title.....
Then I guess you didn't read the OP.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:05 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
,,,,,,,O my GOD,,,Crime and domestic situations in MtP? It cant be true!

The world is coming to an end. Quick,,,move to North Charleston!...............................Ha-Ha-Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area