Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times

Advertisements

If you find one, just keep on beating it - make sure it's dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 08:41 PM

49 posts, read 80,673 times
Robynn, beating doesn't always kill them - heck, the suckers can live in nuclear reactors!!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
Robynn, beating doesn't always kill them - heck, the suckers can live in nuclear reactors!!
For real!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,259 times
For your reading pleasure....

American Cockroach - Control & Identification

Palmetto_Bug

Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM

177 posts, read 479,116 times
Ah, yes, Palmetto Bugs. As stated, they are not indicative of your cleanliness (or lack thereof), we all get them on occasion. Treat your yard, slab or crawl space, seal up any pipe entry points, that all helps. For those occasions when one does get in, we use the Raid Roach & Ant spray, it works like a charm. It is in the pinkish/purplish can and will kill those pesky bugs...it is not always immediate (like my wife would prefer), but they do die, everytime. My wife has a tendency to drown them in the spray until they stop kicking, but that is overkill. I have gotten one good hit on them and find they crawl around for a minute then die.
Careful if you work on any palmetto trees, they do live in there...I found out the hard way when I was peeling off some of the dead fronds...they rained down on me.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsoninsc View Post
Ah, yes, Palmetto Bugs. As stated, they are not indicative of your cleanliness (or lack thereof), we all get them on occasion. Treat your yard, slab or crawl space, seal up any pipe entry points, that all helps. For those occasions when one does get in, we use the Raid Roach & Ant spray, it works like a charm. It is in the pinkish/purplish can and will kill those pesky bugs...it is not always immediate (like my wife would prefer), but they do die, everytime. My wife has a tendency to drown them in the spray until they stop kicking, but that is overkill. I have gotten one good hit on them and find they crawl around for a minute then die.
Careful if you work on any palmetto trees, they do live in there...I found out the hard way when I was peeling off some of the dead fronds...they rained down on me.
I just hit them with a shoe or grab them with tissue and flush.... Nothing is worse than taking your eyes off them to go get something and they go MIA...(shutter).

I would have FREAKED if they came raining down on me......aargh.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post

I would have FREAKED if they came raining down on me......aargh.
I've been aggravated that there are dead fronts on the palms in my yard that are too high to reach. Now maybe I'm glad I wasn't able to pull them down.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 AM

177 posts, read 479,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I've been aggravated that there are dead fronts on the palms in my yard that are too high to reach. Now maybe I'm glad I wasn't able to pull them down.
Yeah, they are high...I was on a ladder getting those when I first experienced the Palmetto Bug Shower...on the old Navy base.

You want to freak? I didn't even go into the story of how one got in our bed one night, the bugger got stuck in my wife's hair...they have barbs on their legs that don't do so well in hair!! She freaked out in a major way...funny now, not so much then!!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Be careful they can crawl in your ears while you sleep and give you a brain infection

Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM

482 posts, read 845,397 times
I noticed this enormous bug on my crawling down my palmetto tree last night. It kind of resembled a roach but it had a long stem looking object coming out of the tail area. Was this a palmetto bug?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area