Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM

49 posts, read 80,728 times

Advertisements

Am I showing my age here? I didn't realise until a friend pointed it out, but whenever I talk about going down to West Ashley, I actually say 'west of the Ashley'.

Anyone else do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 07:30 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,071,238 times
I used to say 'west of the ashley' back in the day when I lived on both James Island and West Ashley. My mom still says 'west of the ashley'.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
Lethe, yes you are showing your age just like the rest of us..

Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,051,282 times
My parents say that... I wasn't aware that it was "showing your age"? Technically we are West of the Ashley river so it's correct .

Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,674,516 times
West Ashley...excerpted:

West Ashley is one of the six distinct areas of the city proper of Charleston with an estimated 2010 population of 57,403.Its name is derived from the fact that the land is west of the Ashley River.

West Ashley's initial neighborhoods were developed in the 1950s with its largest growth occurring throughout the 1970s and 80's. As Interstate 526 was built in the early 1980s and the Glenn McConnell Parkway was built in the 1990s to help alleviate traffic on the historic Ashley River Road (SC Hwy. 61) corridor, the area saw explosive residential and commercial growth. Major retailers located in the community as land needed for "big box" stores was not available on the historic downtown Charleston peninsula. West Ashley's original neighborhoods line Savannah Highway (US Hwy. 17) in an area closest to the historic Charleston peninsula.

The community is served by one public high schoool, West Ashley Hiogh School with 2017 students and 135 full-time teachers. There are also five public elementary schools, three public middle schools.

The community's major arteries include Sam Rittenberg Boulevard (SC Hwy. 7), Ashley River Road (SC Hwy. 61), Savannah Highway (US Hwy. 17) and Interstate 526.

West Ashley is not a self-governed city or town. The majority of the West Ashley area is located within the city limits of Charleston with a few remaining pockets in unincorporated Charleston County that are served by the Saint Andrews Public Service District who provides municipal services for those outside the city limits.

HGope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area