Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM

194 posts, read 445,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
There was a fine. There were also court ordered appearances. The original violation was from December 2010 which stemmed from an earlier complaint, primarily dealing with the stored sheet metal/scrap metal in the front yard and driveway, and nothing had been done about it since. I can absolutely feel for that woman, after everything she seems to have gone through, and I'm glad people turned out to help her when they found out what was going on. But this was absolutely not a case of "we don't like your yard, now you go to jail". There was over a year's worth of delays, skipped court appearances, failure to pay fines, etc., at the end of which the police officer's hands were tied.
Some people don't like those pesky little details aka facts like you listed above to interfere with a rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,675,582 times
Barbara

Back to Planters Pointe.

Planters Pointe has several sections, some a mile or more apart. There is the main Planters Pointe entrance as seen/entered from Rte. 41 where the pool/clubhouse/tennis courts are located on the left as you enter. One can buy a home in this sections starting at about $180K

The other sections of Planters Pointe are entered from Rivertowne Parkway. Overall the sections entered from Rivertowne Parkway are somewhat higher to very higher priced. Generally homes in these sections start at $260K.

Either entrance, Planters Pointe is a well run, well maintained, nice neighbor part of town.

While you mention Dunes West, they also have quite a price difference in behind the gate or not behind the gate sections as can various sections of Park West vary quite a bit in price.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM

487 posts, read 997,721 times
Thank you. I like the section near the pool. I don't think you can get to the ammenities from the other section without leaving the subdivision and going back in the main entrance. A few months ago there was a nice house listed behind the gates in Dunes West for a very reasonable price, although it's the only one I've seen in that section at a low price and it sold fast. I don't mind the Palmetto Hall section either, but I like Planters Pointe just as well. It's just that I am wondering why when I see a nice house in a low price range, it seems like it's always in Planters Pointe. I just want to make sure that there
is no underlying reason like the subdivision being bankrupt or something similiar. If it's just because maybe it's just not as upscale or something, that's fine with me.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,114,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Is there a reason why houses in Planters Pointe seem to be have lower asking prices than most of the other neighborhoods? We have driven through there several times and it looks nice to us. Maybe it's not as fancy as Dunes West but still it seems like a pretty nice place.
Probably because someone put a plastic pink flamingo in their yard and got arrested for profane graffiti.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 PM

Oh well, there goes the neighborhood!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,114,740 times
Quote:
Oh well, there goes the neighborhood!
LOL

I love a poster with a sense of humor.

I hope you find a good place.

To my knowledge and experience there isn't anything wrong with Planters Pointe and I think you'd likely be pretty happy there.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I like the section near the pool. I don't think you can get to the ammenities from the other section without leaving the subdivision and going back in the main entrance. A few months ago there was a nice house listed behind the gates in Dunes West for a very reasonable price, although it's the only one I've seen in that section at a low price and it sold fast. I don't mind the Palmetto Hall section either, but I like Planters Pointe just as well. It's just that I am wondering why when I see a nice house in a low price range, it seems like it's always in Planters Pointe. I just want to make sure that there
is no underlying reason like the subdivision being bankrupt or something similiar. If it's just because maybe it's just not as upscale or something, that's fine with me.
There is a cement path from the Rivertowne side over to the amenities. One can walk, bike, use a golf art, electric scooter but no motorized vehicles. One does not need to go out to RTE 41.

There is also a pathway from Planters Pointe to the Harris Teeter shopping area.

HOA dues at Planters Pointe are about $600.00 per year. It is a very well run and financially secure HOA.

The majority of Planters Pointe homes were built in the early 2000's and sold new at that time for $150K to $200K. The resale prices rose well into the mid-high $300K range by 2006 and some paid that price for them. I know of one couple on the Rivertowne side that paid $360K in 2006 for a home that sold new in 2002 for $190K. As you know, in 2007 prices started to slide.

I lived on the Rivertowne side from 2002 (built new) until Mid-2011 when I moved to Lexingon SC. Fortunately we never did a refi so when we sold, we made a good profit.

If I were moving back to that area, Planters Pointe would be on my list of places to live.

It does make sense that if you have young ones that living close to the amenities would be convenient.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 01-19-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 AM

I know this may sound trivial, but someone I know that moved from Long Island to Mount Pleasant said that sometimes the storms can come up so fast that they can't even make it to the car in time from the pool, let alone walk or bike back to the house. For this reason they are considering a built in pool. Other then that, she raves about the area and absolutely loves it there and wishes she had done it sooner. My family would definitely use the amenities quite a bit so I like the idea of living near them.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I know this may sound trivial, but someone I know that moved from Long Island to Mount Pleasant said that sometimes the storms can come up so fast that they can't even make it to the car in time from the pool, let alone walk or bike back to the house. For this reason they are considering a built in pool. Other then that, she raves about the area and absolutely loves it there and wishes she had done it sooner. My family would definitely use the amenities quite a bit so I like the idea of living near them.
The storms she refers to are thunder storms which are pretty common in many parts of the US but less so in the northeast. They hit quick, big down pour, and end quick. Not uncommon for the sun to be back out 5 minutes after the storm passes.

One thing to become familiar with is Home Owner Associations (HOA's). Typically one will have to get permission from the HOA to install a pool.

If I had little nippers, I would want to live near the amenities for their sake.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,820 times
I don't live in Mt. Pleasent, but one of the reasons I moved into my neighborhood, is its a smaller neighborhood, so he amenities don't get overun, but they are nice there is a lap pool and a kid pool, playground, and a field about the size of a football field surrounded by woods, and though not official, there are trails in the woods.(well there are some boardwalks trails too but not that much). We are a quick walk way. Play with my kid in the field every week.

Something to consider is how many people use the amenities when looking at neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area