Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 AM

771 posts, read 1,460,081 times

Advertisements

I know the question is ridiculous, but this is my situation...I'm driving to Charleston tomorrow for the wedding of a friend of my wife. Unfortunately, I have to drive back on Sunday. Since its a 9 hour drive + wedding + rehearsal dinner, it looks like we won't have a lot of time to see Charleston. Its sad because its a place I've always wanted to visit, but I guess something is better than nothing.

What would be the one thing you recommend seeing if you only had one afternoon in Charleston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
Just simply walk around the downtown area with the time you have available.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
Go downtown at The Market and take a carriage ride. Tommy Condon's for a libation.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,021,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Go downtown at The Market and take a carriage ride. Tommy Condon's for a libation.
This. Bear in mind the Charleston bridge run is this weekend. Downtown will be packed Saturday morning and traffic will be a nightmare for most of the morning/early afternoon. Stay downtown, and just walk around the market, walk down to Charleston harbor and the battery, and take in the above recommendations. You could also hit one of the many rooftop bars downtown, if the weather is nice this weekend, try Library or Market Pavilion.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM

207 posts, read 566,260 times
I agree with the carriage ride. It might be the best way to see a lot of the great parts of Charleston in a short time.

I also agree that it's going to be pack there this weekend because of the race.

Parking is a big issue and it's sometimes hard to find a place. There is a parking deck behind Charleston Place Hotel which usually has a lot room. It's down a little alley when coming down Meeting on the right before Market. Also there is parking in the Market area near where you would pick up a carriage ride.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,641,036 times
You couldnt PAY ME to go downtown this weekend! NO WAY!!!

If you have to go, get a cab from west ashley to go down town.....

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
You couldnt PAY ME to go downtown this weekend! NO WAY!!!

If you have to go, get a cab from west ashley to go down town.....
I agree with you 100%!!! I even took Friday off from work because it was a complete nightmare trying to get home last year. I work downtown and take East Bay to the bridge, and the police would not let anyone go down East Bay towards the bridge. I had only been here 2 weeks and only knew how to get to work and how to get back to my hotel. It was a good thing I took my gps with me that day. On the plus side, I had a very scenic drive through Charleston trying to get home. I will take the Friday before the bridge run off every year.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,735 times
I am planning a visit and am trying to find a hotel not too expensive for two nights close to the major attractions like the market but in a safe area. Will be traveling with hubby, 17 yr old and 4 yr old. We already have the must see and do list but trying to get an idea of a good hotel location without the outrageous prices. I am flexible with moving a block or two from the market as long as I can walk to most things.

Thanks bunches

Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I am planning a visit and am trying to find a hotel not too expensive for two nights close to the major attractions like the market but in a safe area. Will be traveling with hubby, 17 yr old and 4 yr old. We already have the must see and do list but trying to get an idea of a good hotel location without the outrageous prices. I am flexible with moving a block or two from the market as long as I can walk to most things.

Thanks bunches
Priceline the Francis Marion $100.00

Old 03-30-2012, 06:41 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,735 times
[quote=Silversides;23644461]Priceline the Francis Marion $100.00[/quot

follow up: just did but my dates are unavailable for the room I have in my budget. Will take other suggestions. It is a beautiful hotel

Last edited by bajanqueen; 03-30-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area