Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 AM

10 posts, read 15,308 times

Advertisements

Good to hear from another NW native! We live in Bonney Lake now. My husband works in Bellevue, which is a killer commute. We love Bonney Lake though. The people are wonderful, we feel safe, there are a lot of activities in the community, and we are still close to shopping, etc. I love Issaquah, but can't afford to live up there. Anyway, my husband would be working near the airport in N Charleston. From what I've gathered, Summerville sounds like a pretty good match. What do you think? We have a limit of about $230K, and need at least 4 bedrooms. What do you think overall of the Charleston area to live in after being in the PNW? We are trying to decide between Charleston and Tampa. We keep going back and forth. Thanks for your help!!

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Ollie, my family just recently relocated here from the PNW as well. We lived all over Snohomish, Pierce and Thurston counties. If you tell me the communities you like best in WA I can tell you what would suit you here. As stated above, your budget is a HUGE factor.
The one thing you'll find is how much more cleary defined the subdivisions are here. If I said I live in "Charleston National" in Mount Pleasant nearly everyone would know what I was talking about. If I told someone on a similar board in WA that I lived in Brighton Park in Lake Stevens they would all look at me like I was nuts. Don't be surprised if people start pointing you towards specific subdivisions within cities, as the styles within the subdivisions vary significantly.

I'm going to assume with the size of your brood that you will be looking for a fairly large house. The one thing I noticed was how small the older homes were. Feel free to respond here or PM me directly if you have any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie from PNW View Post
Good to hear from another NW native! We live in Bonney Lake now. My husband works in Bellevue, which is a killer commute. We love Bonney Lake though. The people are wonderful, we feel safe, there are a lot of activities in the community, and we are still close to shopping, etc. I love Issaquah, but can't afford to live up there. Anyway, my husband would be working near the airport in N Charleston. From what I've gathered, Summerville sounds like a pretty good match. What do you think? We have a limit of about $230K, and need at least 4 bedrooms. What do you think overall of the Charleston area to live in after being in the PNW? We are trying to decide between Charleston and Tampa. We keep going back and forth. Thanks for your help!!

Michelle
There are some very nice neighborhoods in the western portion of North Charleston that are very close to the airport. I know there are some "scary" comments about North Charleston on this site, but until you have seen the areas for yourself, I wouldn't discount them just because they have a North Charleston mailing address. As I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, that is the portion of North Charleston that is also in the Dorchester District 2 School District.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Tampa is a much bigger city/community...but I think a great area. Charleston is smaller and that's party of the charm. Charleston will have more of a winter of course, but the summers will be about the same -- hot and humid. Franklin, TN is really Nashville. What a great area....even more winter.....but definitely a great community. I love Nashville -- a fun city. You will have a tough decision!

I have friends who live in North Charleston area -- good part. They are always talking about all the restaurants etc and I'm a little jealous. I think that with your criteria Summerville would be an absolute perfect fit. It's a great community for a family.

Good luck with your choices.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
If you like Bonney Lake I think you will really like Summerville. It actully reminds me of a more rural Lake Tapps. There will still be a commute, but absolutely nothing like what your husband is dealing with now. You'll be able to find a really nice house in your price range there as well. You'll find that the high school in Summerville is better than Bonney Lake High, if you have kids attending there, and probably the elementary and middle schools also. We had amazing schools in Lake Stevens, but still felt like we had upgraded when we moved. That was really unexpected. As others have said, North Charleston also has some great parts to live in. Pretty much it would be like finding a nice area in Tacoma to live in. You would want to do your homework on the schools your kids would attend before committing to anything. Make sure any house you buy is in that Dorchester 2 district and you will be fine.
The only communities here that are similar to Issaquah are Daniel Island and parts of Mount Pleasant, but you may find them to also be cost prohibitive. I think if you get a chance to visit Summerville you will be pleased. I don't live there, so I can't suggest specific subdivisions, but there are plenty of people here who can.
Overall we have been thrilled with our decision to move here. The only thing I miss is some of the good things that come with big city life, such as concerts, SHOPPING, etc.... If you enjoy shopping at Bell Square much you are going to feel a little lost when it comes to shopping trips.
This is a tiny little thing, but I really miss having Costco in every city. There's only one in the area.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:22 PM

209 posts, read 534,169 times
I live in North Charleston and it's not sketchy at all. At least, not my part!! I live in Taylor Plantation, a new community about 10-15 minutes from Boeing, but in Dorchester II school district. Homes are built by Ryland, so check out their website. There are many 4+ bedroom homes in your price range here and in Wescott Plantation, another North Chas area about 10 mins further away from Boeing.

In Taylor Plantation, the elementary and middle schools (Eagle Nest ES and River Oak MS) are within walking distance, there's a great grocery store (Publix) 2 mins away (and a Piggly Wiggly... but not as nice as Publix, imho), and the expressway (I-26) is only 5 miles down the road. You're 10 miles closer to downtown Charleston than if you move to Summerville, too.

I have kids ages 3 and 5 and we do lots of activities with my mom's group in Summerville. Depending on where we're headed in S'ville it's 10 to 25 mins away. We do soccer through the YMCA in Summerville, and the fields are about 15 mins from us. N. Chas is building a huge new park near us, too, with soccer and baseball fields galore.

The only reason I would choose Tampa over Charleston would be no state income tax. Otherwise, this is a great place to live!! (We moved from northern FL two years ago.)

Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinerevelle View Post
I live in North Charleston and it's not sketchy at all. At least, not my part!! I live in Taylor Plantation, a new community about 10-15 minutes from Boeing, but in Dorchester II school district. Homes are built by Ryland, so check out their website. There are many 4+ bedroom homes in your price range here and in Wescott Plantation, another North Chas area about 10 mins further away from Boeing.

In Taylor Plantation, the elementary and middle schools (Eagle Nest ES and River Oak MS) are within walking distance, there's a great grocery store (Publix) 2 mins away (and a Piggly Wiggly... but not as nice as Publix, imho), and the expressway (I-26) is only 5 miles down the road. You're 10 miles closer to downtown Charleston than if you move to Summerville, too.

I have kids ages 3 and 5 and we do lots of activities with my mom's group in Summerville. Depending on where we're headed in S'ville it's 10 to 25 mins away. We do soccer through the YMCA in Summerville, and the fields are about 15 mins from us. N. Chas is building a huge new park near us, too, with soccer and baseball fields galore.

The only reason I would choose Tampa over Charleston would be no state income tax. Otherwise, this is a great place to live!! (We moved from northern FL two years ago.)
Amen to that.

I hate when people bad-mouth North Charleston that don't know what they are talking about or base their assumptions on decades-old ideals/statistics about what North Charleston is like.

I live in North Charleston as well (one son in River Oaks Middle School and one son in Fort Dorchester High School). We moved out here from New Mexico 12 years ago and we have had exactly ZERO issues with living in North Charleston (Windsor Hill Subdivision).

Ollie .. if you want to know about any particular area in North Charleston please feel free to ask. Don't listen to anyone that paints the whole of North Charleston as a bad place to live.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
We're renting in N.C. and it's nice. I feel safe. I go out running by myself no problem. There are only a couple roads I wouldn't feel safe on by myself and they are far away from me. These parts are pretty obvious when you go through them that you wouldn't want to live there. So, if it looks nice, it probably is...seems like the closer you get to Summerville the nicer it is.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 PM

88 posts, read 257,749 times
We're also looking at a possible relocation to Charleston and my house budget is under $180k for a 3-4 bdrm newer house. It seems like there are many houses that fit the bill in Summerville from checking online. I was worried about what kind of a place it might be but from the postings it sounds like Summerville is a good place? Is the commute to downtown acceptable? Accoding to mapquest, about 20mi, 30 mins? Any other neighborhood that could match Summerville and within 30mins? Thanks

Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_hawaiian View Post
We're also looking at a possible relocation to Charleston and my house budget is under $180k for a 3-4 bdrm newer house. It seems like there are many houses that fit the bill in Summerville from checking online. I was worried about what kind of a place it might be but from the postings it sounds like Summerville is a good place? Is the commute to downtown acceptable? Accoding to mapquest, about 20mi, 30 mins? Any other neighborhood that could match Summerville and within 30mins? Thanks
Windsor Hill in North Charleston is a lot closer than Summerville and fits in your price range.

My family and I live there and we love it.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:26 AM

324 posts, read 807,525 times
What about Hanahan? I lived in Summerville for a few years and enjoy the fact that I only drive 7 minutes to work in North Charleston instead of 25 minutes. I also feel very comfortable with my daughter going through the Hanahan school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area