Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 AM

123 posts, read 571,214 times

Advertisements

As I've mentioned to DJ, my partner and I are probably going to move to Chas. (JI or WA?) as soon as we can sell this apt here in Bklyn, a process which has begun, and could move more quickly than expected. I need to hear from some folks who live in James Island and West Ashley. Tell me about the pros and cons of your neighborhood. Also:

Which community - JI or WA - do you prefer, and why?

What kinds of amenities (stores, transit, malls, bike paths, etc.) do you have?

What is your commute like?

Is crime a problem or not?

If you're not a native Charlestonian, what is your impression so far?

I know these are a lot of questions but I'm very excited, little anxious/nervous about the prospect of moving there, and want to learn as much as possible. Also, I want to know/narrow down all my options for when we start to serious look at houses/neighborhoods. My partner will be coming down to snoop around the weekend of Veterans Day. Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to get back there until after the holidays, when I can look around for myself. Until then, give me the good, bad & ugly, along with names of places. Thanks/T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 04:59 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevaluz View Post
As I've mentioned to DJ, my partner and I are probably going to move to Chas. (JI or WA?) as soon as we can sell this apt here in Bklyn, a process which has begun, and could move more quickly than expected. I need to hear from some folks who live in James Island and West Ashley. Tell me about the pros and cons of your neighborhood. Also:

Which community - JI or WA - do you prefer, and why?

What kinds of amenities (stores, transit, malls, bike paths, etc.) do you have?

What is your commute like?

Is crime a problem or not?

If you're not a native Charlestonian, what is your impression so far?

I know these are a lot of questions but I'm very excited, little anxious/nervous about the prospect of moving there, and want to learn as much as possible. Also, I want to know/narrow down all my options for when we start to serious look at houses/neighborhoods. My partner will be coming down to snoop around the weekend of Veterans Day. Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to get back there until after the holidays, when I can look around for myself. Until then, give me the good, bad & ugly, along with names of places. Thanks/T
Hi Nuevaluz,

I don't live in either area (yet) but I have my eye on those areas too and one poster found an EXCELLENT website where you can type in the address of a property you are considering and it lists how many coffee shops, grocery stores, restaurants, libraries, parks etc are nearby that address and exactly how far away each one is. Then it assigns a walkability rating for each address. You might want to use it to get a better idea of how close you'll be to what, depending on what area and what street you end up on. Here it is
Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

I think I recall someone suggesting you'd like Northern James Island which I also like the looks of because it is just south of South Windermere's Shopping center, on Folly Rd. within walking distance which has a Starbucks and an Earthfare and other shops and restaurants and it is right near the bridge to the Charleston Penninsula and downtown. On a good day it might only take a few minutes to get downtown. Then you can also head the other direction down James Island on Folly Rd and find a plethora of other restaurants on James Island and you also go by the Park which is huge and of course at the end of Folly Rd is Folly Beach. I think from there, Laurel Park it is called, you'd only be about 10 minutes from Mount Pleasant and Whole Foods. (One of my requirements is to not be too far away from Whole Foods Market.)

The areas in West Ashley I like the best are the neighborhoods just beyond South Windermere on the same side of 17. They seem to have views of the marsh and not be real expensive, however, the back roads that i can see do not link up to the South Windermere roads. So walking to Starbucks on a non-highway seems impossible. It looks like you are forced to walk up to 17 and then turn right passing the edge of South Windermere to get to its shopping area. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. Maybe there is some sort of path between the neighborhoods. I'd like South Windermere too but I hear it is very geriatric, and it also seems over priced.

I also like pictures of homes I've seen in W.A. on the other side of 17 but unfortunately Maryville which is right across the street from the corner of South Windermere and in a great location, is a very druggy run down area
so you have to go much father up to Sandhurst and other neighborhoods which are pretty, have larger lots and good deals on large homes but farther from shops and about 2-3 miles or more from Starbucks.

Unfortunately I'm not going to get what I have here in Newport, RI as far as walkability goes but hopefully, the weather and the more sophisticated City of Charleston, will make up for the proximity I have now to everything: beach, restaurants, parks, food shopping, coffee, movie theatres and more.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Quote:
The areas in West Ashley I like the best are the neighborhoods just beyond South Windermere on the same side of 17. They seem to have views of the marsh and not be real expensive, however, the back roads that i can see do not link up to the South Windermere roads. So walking to Starbucks on a non-highway seems impossible.
Emily, I'm going to prove you wrong and make you happy all in the same statement.

Those neighborhoods you like on Hwy 17s border a bike path that runs the length of West Ashley to Folly Rd. and to the backdoor of Starbucks. Here's your link West Ashley Greenway - CharlestonWiki

How's that?

Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 PM

Thanks Emilybh for your great suggestions. I discovered Walk Score a couple months ago, and somehow forgot about it. Although I don't know how much walking I'll be doing during the heat of summer when the air's so close it feels hotter than a NY subway station . I noted the area you mentioned around the Windermere Shopping Center is also where the West Ashley Greenway begins, which is a very attractive feature. I've marked my map for future reference.

Good luck with your move. I hope you won't be too sad to leave Newport. I was there once several years ago, and it was so beautiful. Ate some good seafood near the beach, but can't remember the name of the place, it was so small. We were originally going to move to Providence but have since opted instead for milder winters, palmettos rattling in the breeze, a lovely old historic center on a pristine harbor, and old fashion common courtesy; not to mention fried green tomatoes, corn fritters, she crab soup, shrimp and grits, and sweet tea, oh my . . . .

Old 09-27-2007, 06:23 PM

DJ beat me to the punch! Thanks for the verification.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Emily, I'm going to prove you wrong and make you happy all in the same statement.

Those neighborhoods you like on Hwy 17s border a bike path that runs the length of West Ashley to Folly Rd. and to the backdoor of Starbucks. Here's your link West Ashley Greenway - CharlestonWiki

How's that?
YAY! THANK-YOU DJ!

I was hoping I was wrong about that because Highway 17 along that side looks nasty. I would not want to have to walk along there.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevaluz View Post
Thanks Emilybh for your great suggestions. I discovered Walk Score a couple months ago, and somehow forgot about it. Although I don't know how much walking I'll be doing during the heat of summer when the air's so close it feels hotter than a NY subway station . I noted the area you mentioned around the Windermere Shopping Center is also where the West Ashley Greenway begins, which is a very attractive feature. I've marked my map for future reference.

Good luck with your move. I hope you won't be too sad to leave Newport. I was there once several years ago, and it was so beautiful. Ate some good seafood near the beach, but can't remember the name of the place, it was so small. We were originally going to move to Providence but have since opted instead for milder winters, palmettos rattling in the breeze, a lovely old historic center on a pristine harbor, and old fashion common courtesy; not to mention fried green tomatoes, corn fritters, she crab soup, shrimp and grits, and sweet tea, oh my . . . .
How did you find out about the West Ashley Greenway Nueveluz? You don't have to answer that. It is just that I thought I'd seen every website there was having to do with the Charleston area but I guess I missed that one. But now between you and DJ, you've turned me on to it. Having that path makes those neighborhoods next to South Windermere a lot more attractive like Parkwood estates and Edgewater (I think) are their names.

I'm moving there for the same reasons you are nuevaluz. Good luck with the sale of your place. I'm going to be REALLY jealous if you make it down there before me.

Also if you are going to be renting first, I believe some of the condos at 498 Albermarle which have views of the river, bay and the city are located right around there and some are available for rent.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 PM

Do they rent month to month? We might have to do that since house hunting is really only one component of this whole process. We're both really busy right now, and have very little time to fly back and forth.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:34 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Month to month might be difficult, but it's certainly possible.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:38 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
I wish they would build a Whole Foods in S'Ville or Goose Creek. I love that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area