Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM

229 posts, read 371,564 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. My name is Emaline and my small family of 3 may be relocating to the Charleston area (from Kentucky) in the next 4-5 weeks. My husband flies down there tomorrow to spend the weekend and we will have a definite answer by the time he comes home. I've been stalking Craigslist pretty steadily for a home to rent, but alas, it's just so difficult to tell anything from these ads. Seeing as how we're getting pretty close to the potential move date, I'd be SO grateful if you locals could out by letting me know what these neighborhoods are like. I've read plenty about West Ashley, Summerville, and North Charleston, whether or not they are safe, but also that certain areas within them are reasonable. I just don't really want to rule anything out if the price is right, unless I'm told that it's just flat-out not safe, especially with an upcoming kindergartener making the move with us. With that said, two of the potential homes I'm looking at are on Meadow Ave in N. Charleston and Black River Dr. in Summerville. Is anyone familiar with these areas in particular? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
The Summerville Address is pretty nice, it is in the Lakes of Summerville Subdivision, not sure which school the kids would go to.....

That area of N. Charleston is hit and miss, someone who goes that way often can tell you more about it, I know the former Principal of the Elementary school for that area, she is a nut, but the school isn't doing all that great...

Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 PM

84 posts, read 177,167 times
Yeah, I don't think I'd venture to that part of N. Charleston. I live a few miles away (actually in Park Circle), and I can be a bit leary driving down Remount (which Meadow is off of).

Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The Summerville Address is pretty nice, it is in the Lakes of Summerville Subdivision, not sure which school the kids would go to.....

That area of N. Charleston is hit and miss, someone who goes that way often can tell you more about it, I know the former Principal of the Elementary school for that area, she is a nut, but the school isn't doing all that great...
I agree with OleTomCat. That area of North Charleston (called Charelston Farms) is pretty hit or miss. Ironically it used to be a pretty highfaluting neighborhood way back in the day.

The good ... it is in the process of rebuilding and recovery.

The bad ... it is in NEED of rebuilding and recovery.

There's some nice, new building going on but there's still a ways to go.

MrsBulldog's parents live over there on Sumner Ave. They've never really had any issues, but the farther west on Sumner you go the worse it gets.

That being said, you might want to check out Windsor Hill (Ashley Phosphate and Windsory Hill Blvd) .. that is where we live and we really like it. It's in a nicer part of North Charleston and it is in Dorchester District 2 school district. If you have any questions about it let me know.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM

Thank you all... I think we'll avoid the N. Charleston one and look more into the Summerville property. I'll still be looking, though, and will likely have some more questions. I appreciate your help!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 AM

While my husband was in town this past weekend, he found a property that he really liked in the Park Circle area. What can you all tell me about this?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 AM

84 posts, read 177,167 times
I live in Park Circle, and I love it. We are just a few blocks away from the "historic" area with restaurants and bars, but I walk the circle on a regular basis and love it. We are also on the borderline of the good/bad neighborhoods (like a block from the duck pond), but we haven't had any issues at all. I will say the neighborhood is mostly comprised of twenty-somethings (at least it feels like), but you always see plenty of families out at the park or the disc golf course. I couldn't have asked for a better area to start our journey in Charleston. PM me if you have any questions

Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
Not sure if we're supposed to plug areas outside of the one we live in, but IMO Park Circle rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area