Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
You are making no sense whatsoever. Nor am I doging any points at all.

It is a known fact that future behavior is indicative of past behavior. Just because you do not like that school of thought or agree does not make it not so.

The law is the law and while we may or may nor agree with them, we place the lawmakers in positions to do so and can change that with the same route that out them there. I do believe you need to read the posts and take them as they are intended and not how you percieve them.
The point you are dodging is the one where history shows prohibition to be a failed concept. And the point that your "perceived as the common good" is also flawed.

IE ... instituting a dry city/county/state having any effect on drinking and it doing anything other than annoying law-abiding citizens. Do you HONESTLY think if Folly was a dry city a year from now there wouldn't be people drinking in public on the beach July 4th?

Not to mention that Folly has no means of enforcing on a scale necessary for it to do more than annoy people like a gnat.

(.. you also dodged the bit about the LAW saying I can beat my wife on the courthouse steps .. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
So, put your beer in a bag and drink it. Dont pour it in the bag, put the can/bottle in the bag and drink it.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
The point you are dodging is the one where history shows prohibition to be a failed concept. And the point that your "perceived as the common good" is also flawed.

IE ... instituting a dry city/county/state having any effect on drinking and it doing anything other than annoying law-abiding citizens. Do you HONESTLY think if Folly was a dry city a year from now there wouldn't be people drinking in public on the beach July 4th?

Not to mention that Folly has no means of enforcing on a scale necessary for it to do more than annoy people like a gnat.

(.. you also dodged the bit about the LAW saying I can beat my wife on the courthouse steps .. )

Man, you are reaching. I am not dodging anything about prohibition as that has nothing to do with my posts. In none of my posts did I say I agree with this, what I did say is that I understand why it was done. There is a difference. As "history"
dictates, this is a pattern with anyone whom you disagree or do not understand their posts, not sure why?

No, I did not dodge your comment about beating your wife, it is ridiculous and off point. Nor do I think that it is something you could get away with but hey, if you want to give it a whirl...have at it.

eta and repeat: whether we like laws or not, they are often times made for the common good...when one decides whether to break the laws or not is what determines their morals and character. As someone once said, things like that separate the
men from boys.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Man, you are reaching. I am not dodging anything about prohibition as that has nothing to do with my posts. In none of my posts did I say I agree with this, what I did say is that I understand why it was done. There is a difference. As "history"
dictates, this is a pattern with anyone whom you disagree or do not understand their posts, not sure why?

No, I did not dodge your comment about beating your wife, it is ridiculous and off point. Nor do I think that it is something you could get away with but hey, if you want to give it a whirl...have at it.

eta and repeat: whether we like laws or not, they are often times made for the common good...when one decides whether to break the laws or not is what determines their morals and character. As someone once said, things like that separate the
men from boys.
It is to the point. ESPECIALLY the prohibition part as it pertains EXACTLY to this situation.

As history shows, you like to say, "because it is the law" .. so it is to be obeyed by all. But when your OBEY THE LAW -moralistic road is countered with case-in-point examples that don't support your argument you sidestep them. Going all the way back to the discussion about police pulling people over in unsafe areas is fine and good according to you because we 'don't understand what the police go through' you take this black and white, lawful unlawful stance on anything that comes up.

And throughout this discussion you have talked about what is morally right or perceived to be the common good.

People around here break laws everyday. Even those that make them, so don't try to imply that someone is lesser because he doesn't obey some archaic law .. no matter how subtly you try to make the implication.

Laws are put on the books around here on a whim because it was "perceived to be the common good" when in fact, all it is is a blatant attempt to take just a little more of your liberty away because some uptight politician decided to impose his or her will on the people.

I won't even get into the hypocrisy of Folly city council passing the alcohol ban.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 PM

Cliff's Notes version :

• Prohibition failed for a reason
  • Folly doesn't have the manpower to enforce such a law consistently
  • Just because a law is written doesn't mean it is the moral compass for the entire community outside those that decided to write the law
  • Laws such as this do more to harass and annoy law-abiding citizens than they do to deter the actual hooligans they are meant to control

Old 07-12-2012, 06:23 PM

183 posts, read 356,767 times
If they had a time machine the emergency ban would be super effective!!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Seriously?
So you think drunk driving laws are archaic? How about domestic violence laws? Underage drinking laws? Murder, rape, pedophila?

Why are you so up in arms over something that at this point and time is not certain? You are taking the discussion somewhere that has nothing to do with the topic, or your are purposefully skirting over my opinion on the law and bigger government.

You are so far reaching you are not even on target any longer, you don't make any sense, there is no need to continue a discussion with you

Quote:
It is to the point. ESPECIALLY the prohibition part as it pertains EXACTLY to this situation.

As history shows, you like to say, "because it is the law" .. so it is to be obeyed by all. But when your OBEY THE LAW -moralistic road is countered with case-in-point examples that don't support your argument you sidestep them. Going all the way back to the discussion about police pulling people over in unsafe areas is fine and good according to you because we 'don't understand what the police go through' you take this black and white, lawful unlawful stance on anything that comes up.

And throughout this discussion you have talked about what is morally right or perceived to be the common good.

People around here break laws everyday. Even those that make them, so don't try to imply that someone is lesser because he doesn't obey some archaic law .. no matter how subtly you try to make the implication.

Laws are put on the books around here on a whim because it was "perceived to be the common good" when in fact, all it is is a blatant attempt to take just a little more of your liberty away because some uptight politician decided to impose his or her will on the people.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Cliff's Notes version :

• Prohibition failed for a reason
  • Folly doesn't have the manpower to enforce such a law consistently
  • Just because a law is written doesn't mean it is the moral compass for the entire community outside those that decided to write the law
  • Laws such as this do more to harass and annoy law-abiding citizens than they do to deter the actual hooligans they are meant to control

Who said that a written law is a moral compass??? Is that really what you took from what I said?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Folly 10.8
IOP 3.1

Average assaults per year (from 2002-2010).

I don't know if prohibition has anything to do with it or not, but a pretty stark contrast nonetheless.

That doesn't even mention well less than 1/2 the number of rapes reported on the IOP vs. Folly. Two beach towns separated by only a few miles of ocean.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Seriously?
So you think drunk driving laws are archaic? How about domestic violence laws? Underage drinking laws? Murder, rape, pedophila?

Why are you so up in arms over something that at this point and time is not certain? You are taking the discussion somewhere that has nothing to do with the topic, or your are purposefully skirting over my opinion on the law and bigger government.

You are so far reaching you are not even on target any longer, you don't make any sense, there is no need to continue a discussion with you
Yeah .. far reaching. Law makers breaking laws. That's far reaching. Laws written as reflex reactions that hinder on the liberties of people. That's far reaching. SURELY there will be no drunks on the beach from now on.

And what the heck do drunk driving laws have to do with anything in this discussion? Or murder, rape or pedophilia?

This discussion is about drinking on the beach and you took it to a 'THE LAW IS THE LAW' -place (which is why I brought up some stupid law that says beating your wife is permissible under the letter of the law).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area