Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Folly 10.8
IOP 3.1

Average assaults per year (from 2002-2010).

I don't know if prohibition has anything to do with it or not, but a pretty stark contrast nonetheless.

That doesn't even mention well less than 1/2 the number of rapes reported on the IOP vs. Folly. Two beach towns separated by only a few miles of ocean.
Sorry .. I'm not buying that alcohol is responsible for those numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:40 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Just thought I'd share this list of "Dumb Laws in S. Carolina". My personal favorite is "Horses may not be kept in bathtubs"

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-...south-carolina

Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Sorry .. I'm not buying that alcohol is responsible for those numbers.
That's alright. I didn't expect you to.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
at least they aren't eating people's face here... yet

Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 AM

313 posts, read 709,263 times
What they need to do is not ban all beer... just Natural Light and Busch.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Yeah .. far reaching. Law makers breaking laws. That's far reaching. Laws written as reflex reactions that hinder on the liberties of people. That's far reaching. SURELY there will be no drunks on the beach from now on.

And what the heck do drunk driving laws have to do with anything in this discussion? Or murder, rape or pedophilia?

This discussion is about drinking on the beach and you took it to a 'THE LAW IS THE LAW' -place
I don't think anyone expects that the ban will stop the problem completely. As long as there are laws there will always be people willing to break them. Are you saying no laws should be enacted since they won't completely stop a problem?

You're right, drunk driving laws have about as much to do with this alcohol on the beach ban as prohibition does, but for some reason that keeps finding its way into your arguements too.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I don't think anyone expects that the ban will stop the problem completely. As long as there are laws there will always be people willing to break them. Are you saying no laws should be enacted since they won't completely stop a problem?

You're right, drunk driving laws have about as much to do with this alcohol on the beach ban as prohibition does, but for some reason that keeps finding its way into your arguements too.
This IS prohibition. Drunk driving laws were brought up as a token rant about my case that there are poorly chosen/written laws that are on the books and broken by people everyday.

My point about THIS law is that it will only hurt the people that it is trying to protect. IE only honest people trying to enjoy an alcoholic beverage or two, that are responsible and not derelict drunks, are going to abide by the law and lose a freedom that they SHOULD be able to enjoy.

Instead of banning alcohol completely, Folly needs better enforcement of laws already on the books.

If they can't enforce the law BEFORE this ban, what makes anyone think they will be able to enforce an even more invasive law now?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:29 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Check it out, I grew up on the coast, always lived right near the beach. No other beach on the East Coast allows alcohol as openly as Folly Beach. Folly Beach has had so much freedom they have had problems with Charleston County helping out in the last few years (laws finally being enforced). All other beaches have fewer problems. Many people still drink at other beaches, but you have to do it very discreetly. Disorderly conduct is not tolerated on other beaches.
For me, I never drink on the beach. I think it is very , very dangerous to mix alcohol and the ocean. To me, the ocean is the most powerful force on the earth and many people die in it each summer here at our beaches. I think it is a good idea to ban alcohol on Folly Beach to have some sense of civility there. People will still drink, they just will not bring kegs and chaos like they do now on 10 ST. East. It is a good idea for everybody. Sometimes too much freedom ends up in tradegy....

Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
P & C editorial on the ban....

Realtors among those with no regrets on Folly alcohol ban – The Post and Courier

It has been about a year since Folly Beach began enforcing the no alcohol ban on the beach. It’s such a disappointment that this sort of action needed to be taken. Folly was the last place around here where one could go to the beach, relax, have a beer, forget about everyday problems and not worry about a thing except getting too much sun. Now the beer part is out of the equation because, as is so often the case, certain people couldn’t control themselves and ended up ruining it for everybody else. Folly Beach Town Council had little choice but to act as it did.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area