Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

the 2nd lowest tax rates in the state (behind Hilton Head)

I find this fascinating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:49 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Never seen a cop bust any crack heads in MTP robbing somebody at an ATM. And yes I'm out that early going to work. Rarely ever see a cop that time of morning anyway... Most around here got major issues to begin with. Got pulled on IOP on Memorial day by and IOP cop with a major attitude... Yet she wrote me up for a seat belt, even though she saw me take mine off to get my wallet out. She was standing right there, and told me I didn't have mine on when she walked up. Threatened to take me to jail, when I told her that she saw me take the belt off to get my wallet out of my back pocket.
Why weren't those kind of cops involved helping patrol Folly Beach area on 4th of July?? Things like that I don't understand. Charleston County should be working together as a unit in shifts.. forget city limitations.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Cops start at 35k soldiers and salors start at 19k.......

The BAQ, basic allowance for quarters is not given to all service members only if you are married or asigned to a base where there insuficant housing on base. It is based on the area that the servicemember is stationed. The story of six living in a 2 bedroom is bull squeeze since you are required to turn in a copy of your signed lease to get BAQ, what you are describing would be fraud....

Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,716 times
No, a room mate's brother, who is a cop.

Hey GCreek1997....Just curious.... Why are you going to bat, so to speak, for your roommate's brother who is the cop? Why isn't he/she (the cop) on this board complaining about his/her situation?? I was just wondering...

Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 PM

246 posts, read 518,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
No, a room mate's brother, who is a cop.

Hey GCreek1997....Just curious.... Why are you going to bat, so to speak, for your roommate's brother who is the cop? Why isn't he/she (the cop) on this board complaining about his/her situation?? I was just wondering...

Because he or she IS the cop...

Oh....and I have nothing against cops. DH is a retired police officer, and although those twenty years were often very, very difficult, the pension checks twice a month sure help!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,034 times
I know I'm a little slow, but what does DH stand for?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
DH/DW the H or W stand for husband or wife the D is for what ever adjective you wish to use...

Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,034 times
Well that's convienient isn't it? So my DW would be my "delighted" wife? Not because I'm a "Dear Husband", but because I'm a "damned" long ways away....lol

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Comparing a soldier's housing allowance to a cop being able to take home his car is nonsensical. Housing is a part of the pay package, and depending on qualifications you can either choose to take the extra pay or live on post quarters. One of the MANY reasons for the housing allowance is the military requiring its servicemen to live within a certain distance from the post. Another reason is by setting up the housing system the way it is it ensures that a soldier's family is in a safe housing situation while the serviceman (woman) is away for months (years) at a time. As was mentioned in previous posts a service member doesn't get to choose where they are stationed, and the housing allowance is designed to take the burden off soldier. I don't even remotely see how this compares to being able to drive a car home each night.
Yelling about it being tax payers money to get people worked up is silly when the soldiers ENTIRE paycheck is taxpayers money.

Being allowed to drive the car home is an incentive for these cops, not a part of their salary package. I agree that it's unfortunate that they are losing that benefit, but I don't see it as the great outrage that you do. The $5k a year difference in pay your friend is looking at from MP to Charleston seems perfectly reasonable considering the differences in the two cities and the risk involved. As far as the insurance increases, I doubt you'll find many people that haven't seen premium increases recently...I would be tickled to have my insurance costs match his.

You may have not intended to make this into a cops vs. military discussion, but that is certainly how your tone sounded to me.
Maybe this link will help you gain perspective when you yell about BAH. Goamy.com benefits

Last edited by roxanneself; 07-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Forgot the link

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
,,,,,,,"Mount Pleasant is the states 4th largest city and BOOMING. It is among the SAFEST places on SC"

I dont know where you get your information from,,,,but what you said is far from the truth...................
Sure it is. Just remember to avoid all the doughnut holes in the map, stay within the city limits and you'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area