Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

What's the difference? Pro's and con's of each? I know a little about Summerville but nothing about Goose Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What's the difference? Pro's and con's of each? I know a little about Summerville but nothing about Goose Creek.
Also add Ladson to the list

Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Summerville is in a better School District, DD2, well most of it is. BCSD, Berkeley County, is better than CCSD, Charleston County, but not yet as good as DD2. Some of Ladson is in DD2 others in CCSD or BCSD.

Summerville is a little farther away from Downtown Charleston and the beaches than the other two.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,465 times
Both towns you still have to be selective of where you live. I was dead set on moving to Summerville until I found my house in Goose Creek. All of Goose Creek is not desirable, just like all of Summerville isn't. A lot of it just has to do with personal preference. The house we moved into was the only house we looked at in GC and we looked at over 10 in Summerville. I was kind of against moving to GC, to be honest. I looked at the house on a whim. I fell in love with our neighborhood and couldn't be happier. I also couldn't be happier with our schools (but not all schools in Berkeley County have such a nice reputation).

I really feel like when you are talking about the area, you almost have to get in and feel what feels right to you. Summerville has a cute historical feel in some places and I don't get that feel in GC. There is a small historical downtown shopping area that is cute and GC doesn't have that. GC could also use a Target....

Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM

528 posts, read 1,514,269 times
If you are looking for a town with a heart and soul Summerville is t the choice hands down.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the helpful info.

What would be a good route to go through all three to get a feel for all of them? Main streets, downtowns, shopping areas, parks, etc.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Summerville is easy, Start at I26 Exit 199A, most of the major shopping is right near the interstate. Drive 17A, aka Main Street, right into Down Town Summerville, this is the historic district with the cute little town square, and all of the summer homes of the Charleston elite of days gone by. Continue down south Main and Azalea park will be on both sides of the street with some more turn of the century, 20th not this one, homes on either side of the street. You will next pass Rawlings School of the Arts on your left a government middle school centered around education in the arts. Just past that is what is know as five points in Summerville, five roads at one intersection, turning left on Trolley Rd will take you to some nice older subdivisions like Iron Gate some more shopping and eventually Dorchester Rd in Oakbrook. On this tour we will be continuing south on Main just past 5 pts main takes a hard right curve, some more newer houses less than 50 years old, are in this area. Keep going out S. Main past some older subdivisions these are in >20 <50 year range along with one of our 3 golf courses. Past the next light will be Summerville High School, one of the largest schools in the state. Just past that at the next traffic light we will be turning right, this is Orangeburg Rd, if you continued on 17a South you would eventually get to the Ponds subdivision and then all the way to Walterboro and I95. At this intersection is one of our last locally owned hardware stores, one of the best places to shop for old homes like the one we live in, also there is an older Bilo here. As you head North on Orangeburg Rd you will be passing some of the newer construction areas of Summerville with some real nice smaller homes, 1600-2000 sqft. Continuing on up Orangeburg Rd and you will pass Knightsville Elementary on the left then and Auto parts store and Piggly Wiggly also on the left, on the right is Publix, there is another traffic light just past the Publix and Pig this is Central Ave Taking a right will take you back to Down Town Summerville past Whitegables and some other subdivisions, taking a left will take you back to hwy 17a past a few other new subdivisions, we will be continuing straight through the light. This area is very nice with several older homes in nice established subdivisions, up next will be another traffic light, this one is a 4 way stop if you turn right you will go back to Central Ave while going past Golf course #2 and some really nice subdivisions, left will take you on a long loop that rejoins Orangeburg Rd at the next traffic light going past some real new construction, we will continue straight. Just past the light is our only Private non religious school, Pine Wood Prep, serving K~12. Next up are two more government schools one middle and one elementary past that is pretty desolate not a whole lot to talk about, some newer houses and Subdivisions, at the next light, another 4 way stop, is the loop of the previous road, turn right go one down this road to the next traffic light, a real one this time, just before it is the Habitat for Humanity Resale store on the left. This light is the intersection of US Hwy 78 and Jedburg Road, 78 is the cross street, continuing straight through the light will take you back to I26 at exit 184, left will take you to Saint George, left back to Summerville via the industrial area.

That whole loop takes about 30 minutes to drive, unless you take some of the alternate turns.....

Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Summerville is easy, Start at I26 Exit 199A, most of the major shopping is right near the interstate. Drive 17A, aka Main Street, right into Down Town Summerville, this is the historic district with the cute little town square, and all of the summer homes of the Charleston elite of days gone by. Continue down south Main and Azalea park will be on both sides of the street with some more turn of the century, 20th not this one, homes on either side of the street. You will next pass Rawlings School of the Arts on your left a government middle school centered around education in the arts. Just past that is what is know as five points in Summerville, five roads at one intersection, turning left on Trolley Rd will take you to some nice older subdivisions like Iron Gate some more shopping and eventually Dorchester Rd in Oakbrook. On this tour we will be continuing south on Main just past 5 pts main takes a hard right curve, some more newer houses less than 50 years old, are in this area. Keep going out S. Main past some older subdivisions these are in >20 <50 year range along with one of our 3 golf courses. Past the next light will be Summerville High School, one of the largest schools in the state. Just past that at the next traffic light we will be turning right, this is Orangeburg Rd, if you continued on 17a South you would eventually get to the Ponds subdivision and then all the way to Walterboro and I95. At this intersection is one of our last locally owned hardware stores, one of the best places to shop for old homes like the one we live in, also there is an older Bilo here. As you head North on Orangeburg Rd you will be passing some of the newer construction areas of Summerville with some real nice smaller homes, 1600-2000 sqft. Continuing on up Orangeburg Rd and you will pass Knightsville Elementary on the left then and Auto parts store and Piggly Wiggly also on the left, on the right is Publix, there is another traffic light just past the Publix and Pig this is Central Ave Taking a right will take you back to Down Town Summerville past Whitegables and some other subdivisions, taking a left will take you back to hwy 17a past a few other new subdivisions, we will be continuing straight through the light. This area is very nice with several older homes in nice established subdivisions, up next will be another traffic light, this one is a 4 way stop if you turn right you will go back to Central Ave while going past Golf course #2 and some really nice subdivisions, left will take you on a long loop that rejoins Orangeburg Rd at the next traffic light going past some real new construction, we will continue straight. Just past the light is our only Private non religious school, Pine Wood Prep, serving K~12. Next up are two more government schools one middle and one elementary past that is pretty desolate not a whole lot to talk about, some newer houses and Subdivisions, at the next light, another 4 way stop, is the loop of the previous road, turn right go one down this road to the next traffic light, a real one this time, just before it is the Habitat for Humanity Resale store on the left. This light is the intersection of US Hwy 78 and Jedburg Road, 78 is the cross street, continuing straight through the light will take you back to I26 at exit 184, left will take you to Saint George, left back to Summerville via the industrial area.

That whole loop takes about 30 minutes to drive, unless you take some of the alternate turns.....
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much

Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 AM

If anyone can do the same for Goose Creek and Ladson, that would be awesome. Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 PM

229 posts, read 371,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Summerville is easy, Start at I26 Exit 199A, most of the major shopping is right near the interstate.
I ventured out today and this is where we ended up. That little shopping center with Kohl's, World Market, and Target is SO much like one that we had in Lexington. My poor kid was just so confused haha... She thought we were back in Kentucky after being in the car for 15 minutes. It was really nice though. We didn't stay in Summerville very long but we did drive around just a little bit. I really liked the feel of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area