Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times

Advertisements

Hope the city takes the project over and completes it! The tree huggers, and the worthless coastal conservation league will try to stop it, but have already lost. They can't stop time and progress. The County council are cowards for not starting the project years ago. The public already supports it and wants it built already. Good job Mr. Riley , I hope the council gives the project to someone with a backbone like you since they are scared to make the right decision for Charleston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Hope the city takes the project over and completes it! The tree huggers, and the worthless coastal conservation league will try to stop it, but have already lost. They can't stop time and progress. The County council are cowards for not starting the project years ago. The public already supports it and wants it built already. Good job Mr. Riley , I hope the council gives the project to someone with a backbone like you since they are scared to make the right decision for Charleston!
I hope the city completes it too ... and soon.

Dealing with the CCL has been a GINORMOUS pain on a few of our jobs already (and I have to say that on those projects they are doing more harm with their lack of foresight and flat out ignorance than the good we will be doing) and the excuses for not finishing 526 are just an annoyance for those that its completion will benefit the most.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,298,071 times
coastal .. I love the way you're always out here stirring the pot. I went to see Terrabrook 'cause of your post.

As far as completing I-526, it's not my territory. But I do know the pain of what one goes through when one one sees local roads become big time roads.

Near my house, Mathis Ferry Road has one of those brown signs that I think indicate places of interest, or in this case, a "Scenic Highway." Some clever observer put blue painter's tape in the shape of an "X" before "Scenic highway." Seems to me that John's Island residents will feels the same if I526 is built over, through, or into their neighborhoods.

And the whole island is a neighborhood.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,656,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
coastal .. I love the way you're always out here stirring the pot. I went to see Terrabrook 'cause of your post.

As far as completing I-526, it's not my territory. But I do know the pain of what one goes through when one one sees local roads become big time roads.

Near my house, Mathis Ferry Road has one of those brown signs that I think indicate places of interest, or in this case, a "Scenic Highway." Some clever observer put blue painter's tape in the shape of an "X" before "Scenic highway." Seems to me that John's Island residents will feels the same if I526 is built over, through, or into their neighborhoods.

I don't think Coastalbum is stirring the pot. He's telling it like it is. That road has been in the make for 40 years and is way over due. It's a major road that 'everyone' will benefit from for years to come.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:

Yeah ... leaving a two lane road in place to carry the traffic of all those people that live on Johns Island, work on and maintain Johns Island, vacation on Johns Island, eat on Johns Island and shop on Johns Island (or in case of a hurricane EVACUATE Johns Island) makes a lot more sense.

Afterall ... why would we want to ease traffic, save money, conserve fossil fuel, lower emissions and save lives when we could sit in traffic wasting gas as we watch someone careen into a 60-inch live oak head-on because they had a blow out.

At least we'll have front row seats for all that scenery.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:27 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:

Interestingly enough, it's not the residents that will be directly affected by the completion of 526 that are fighting this, it's the other ones. Those residents in the path of the new highway actually want it to proceed because they can't sell their homes since it's in the path of a proposed highway and until the highway actually gets 100% green lighted, they do not get funds for them from the...city I guess now...for losing their homes to the highway.

In other ways, I can sympathize. Mt Pleasant tried for a number of years to curb growth by not issuing building permits. Once the bad economy hit, they pretty much gave up on that and are now growing leaps and bounds. But, as a long time resident, it's always tough to see the area change so quickly around you. I suspect the James/Johns Island residents are going through the same thing right now. But, the reality is that the project needs to be completed. Doesn't mean I don't understand those residents concerns and fear.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,298,071 times
I do expect that 526 will be completed. And, yes, there's many a practical reason stated in these posts. Still, it changes the place that you live -- sentimental regret.
I knew the growth that Mt P was envisioning 10,15 years ago and so moved to what I considered a mostly settled area of town. Happy to be tucked away.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times
I called Bobby Harrell's office to ask if he could attend the meeting Dec 13th at 5:30 pm at Charleston County Council headquarters. Hope any of you supporting 526 can attend! I hope Representative Harrell can be there! He is a strong supporter of I-526!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
I hope the county holds their ground and doesn't support this big waste of money that could be spent better elsewhere throughout the state on other more important infrastructure projects.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM

oops .. double post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area