Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,626 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking at moving from Tampa, FL to Charleston around May/June 2008. We both are born and raised on Southwest Florida and went to school at UF.

I am in commercial construction management and she is in hospital administration. We will both be 24 when we move there and are trying to figure out where to live. Obviously we will visit, but we would like to know fun places to live. We love going out at night and partying at bars. A college atmosphere would not deter us from living downtown.

However, there appears to be a tradeoff of living downtown in an older, shabbier house or going a few miles outside of town and buying a nice house for about $250k.

Ideally, we would like to be walking distance to the nightlife or at least a short cab ride away.

What can you all suggest?

Also, her job is set already, but what about commercial construction? I am a project engineer on high-rises in downtown Tampa right now.

Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 02:55 PM

64 posts, read 306,340 times
I have seen some restored housing on the peninsula that is near the bridge to west ashley. They look quite nice. No doubt about it there are some shabby houses around, but no area ever became "rejuvenated" overnight. The other trade off would be not having much of yard either. Taking a thorough look at such places is probably your best bet. Short of that your only other option would be West Ashley or Mt. Pleasant. The only decent area's of North Charleston seem to be too far away.
I like to party as much as the next guy but the way I see it is that I live at home everyday and party occasionally. I think over time you are better off getting a nicer home and working around the party issue. In a few years if you have kids you probably will not want to be downtown, moving is a pain and selling a house can be a finanical risk. Think long term and let that help influence your decision.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
I agree, there are plenty of homes on the peninsula that would suit you well. Check into some of the rehabs on Eastside, but certainly look into Wagener Terrace and Hampton Park as well. Both of the latter neighborhoods have plenty of possibilities for young couples and especially for those willing to buy a home and build some sweat equity.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,814 times
Agreeing here.

Wagener Terrace & Hampton Park are worth looking into. Not really sure how fast the sweat equity will rise compared to the recent past. It rose pretty quick there for a while. Possibly too quick to sustain.

Also, check out the Avondale section in West Ashley. That will probably continue along the same appreciation path.

But most assuredly, come visit for a tour of all the areas to get a vibe.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:00 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
All of the above are good suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area