Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by navvet8992 View Post
A general permissive culture everything is ok there is no standard for right or wrong vs a more traditional old fashioned values culture. Examples legalizing marijuana, criminal justice system, gay marriage etc.
This sounds like speculation and inference, which is all relative.

Mind you, Wikipedia, yes, but relevant:

Quote:
The city's voters are among the most liberal in South Carolina. In 2006, Charleston's residents voted against Amendment 1, which sought to ban same-sex marriage in South Carolina. Statewide, the measure passed by 78% to 22% but the voters of Charleston rejected it by 3,563 (52%) to 3,353 votes (48%).[40]
South Carolina's Amendment 1: South Carolina Amendment 1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 AM

8 posts, read 9,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
This sounds like speculation and inference, which is all relative.

Mind you, Wikipedia, yes, but relevant:

South Carolina's Amendment 1: South Carolina Amendment 1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's all relative, based on where your from, your upbringing and beliefs etc. some people think traffic is bad here, I don't because I've lived in major cities so yes it's all relative.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
I think he's just saying that if you hold Berkeley or Oakland up as the measuring standard for a liberal city, then Charleston would fall well below it.

Much like if you hold Washington D.C. up as the measuring standard for bad traffic, Charleston would also fall well below it.

I tend to agree that while Charleston is clearly South Carolina's most liberal city, it's far more conservative when compared to many other liberal cities. I also agree that Charleston city itself is far more liberal than it's surrounding suburbs. And, while being gay is often associated with being liberal due to a more liberal society is typically more accepting, you can certainly be gay and be conservative. One's sexual orientation probably has only a limited impact on one's views on government's role and responsibilities.

Here is an article widely sourced on other sites based on voting records:
Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities

Here's another by a more conservative website, but does a more broader terms for being ranked as liberal:
Americas Top 20 Most Liberal Friendly Counties

Old 03-15-2013, 01:41 PM

259 posts, read 454,285 times
As a rainbow flag waving/bumper sticker charleston gay its obvious to me that i am not representative of the local gay community. lol, wish i was but the activism preferred here is
behind the scenes and not visible. And much has been accomplished this way: several yrs ago chas city council unanimously passed lgbt inclusive non-discrim housing and employment ordinances,as did Folly and N.Chas. This Aug we are having the first gay pride parade down King from Ann St. to Colonial Lake. And as already mentioned Chas County Councilwoman Colleen Condon just came out! WOOHOO COLLEEN!!!!

All that said, spent a lot of time in Asheville and no contest there is a tangible gay friendly
vibe i feel there that does not happen here. Mainly because AVL is a hippie haven and CHS
is preppy haven. The former entails openness and visibility of all kinds and the latter correlates to conservatism. Charleston is only getting better on lgbt acceptance.

Have gotten Fbombed in both cities FWIW.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Personally I've never understood the need for gay pride parades or overtly public activism. The gay people I've known over the years have never been this way. I believe they did more to champion gay acceptance by simply being very cool people that just happen to be gay.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM

Well we will simply have to disagree on that point. Just happen to believe visibility
is crucial in a state that heavily dissaproves of our existence. Our just former
Sen Demint believes we should be banned from being teachers since were so evil ya
know! The majority of sc residents think we are the devil while "straight" marriage in sc
full of divorce and "sin". But us gayz will destroy everything!!!. Pure idiocy.

To that end those of us who believe in rallying publicly are holding one @ the customs
house a wk from mon to publicly advocate for our side vis a vis the supreme court. Should
have a good turnout.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Wouldn't bet on it....

True southerners, even gay ones have more manners and cooth than that, sexuality is a private thing....

Lifestyle is not, that is why those that are true to their beliefs, even the gay ones are less outspoken....

Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Except when there is a gun rally at the capitol...

Honestly, I see both points. As long as it doesn't it doesn't interfere with where I'm going in a significant enough way, more power to whomever is rallying pride, no matter what the cause (within reason).

Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Make sure to come to Columbia for PRIDE. The city hangs rainbow flags on every other lamp post downtown and is very supportive with the festivities.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM

I went to the most recent Columbia Pride. Had a great time! Doubt we will have permission
to hang rainbow flags. The only visible retail support I expect to see is in American Apparel windows
since they do Pride displays every year.

Will be interesting to see how the City of Chas handles the logistics for our first King St parade.
No doubt we will most likely have protestors for the first time. Given the new venues high profile. For those
on here thinking our parade is a walking sex show...you could not be more wrong. Its very ordinary
"normal". Certainly a lot nicer than the wasted half naked straight couples stumbling all over town this wkd.
Funny how they are not stereotyped as representative of heterosexuality. Unlike us homosexuals who
are seen en masse as people who havr no lives beyond who the happen to be attracted too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area