Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 6,413 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am currently looking very seriously at moving to charleston and am planning a trip down in a few weeks to check out apartments and the area in general. I'm currently living in Columbus, Ohio and really like the city life but hate the cold weather with a passion.

I am considering West Ashley and downtown for my move. I am a 25 year old male and from what I understand both of these areas are "young professional" friendly. My main concern is that I know very little about downtown. Where are the nice areas down there? Is there a street where downtown goes from nice to seedy? Any input on where to live downtown would be great.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM

259 posts, read 455,804 times
A broad question! But generally speaking in west ashley i would look at apts along glen mcconell
.Lots of apts along 61 but personally don't feel they are safe. And have had friends with multiple
robbery issues over that way.

look craigslist rentals @ Concord in West Ashley, its condo but lots of owners rent out, safe
awesome location in avondale. Check out Riverland Woods on James Island, its very popular with
twentysomethings, especially if you like to party.

Downtown is pricier, Harleston Village is solid, Cannonborough/Elliotborough, Wagener Terrace
are transistional and vary block to block. Stay away from the East Side!!!! Although its slowly
changing with apts going up along meeting.

Good Luck!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,081,300 times
Here's a nice new appt complex downtown that I think driftaway is eluding to on Meeting St:

Elan Midtown Boutique Apartments | Charleston SC Apartments

Should be opening in May or June. Kinda pricey but great location for downtown action.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,413 times
thank you very much for the info! I was starting to look at renting a condo as it seems like a common practice down there and they seem to be priced very well. When you say the "east side" of downtown do you mean pretty much the entire east side? Im just trying to get a feel of where I should rent if I was to live in the city. My girlfriend loves the city but doesnt want to feel unsafe.

Thanks a lot for the information everyone!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM

3,595 posts, read 4,377,023 times
Another Ohio plate...

Old 03-29-2013, 01:47 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,976,026 times
Go Buckeyes...

Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 PM

You should be fine in the new complexes along Meeting but its right on the border, you will neighbor a very rough area. So it would be smart for both of you not to walk home alone later at night.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM

And yes....I would avoid the entire east side. I know its cheap rent and its better than it used to be in the 90s but violent home invasions targeting college kids and grads and their laptops etc....happen with regularity. So i would not risk it.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,976,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
And yes....I would avoid the entire east side.
I would guess that when you say "the east side" you are most likely speaking in some local terms for a certain area of downtown Charleston.

For someone who has no idea of the area, such as the OP, it is very misleading to tell them to avoid "the entire east side" of downtown Charleston.

Name the specific area for those who are not familiar with your lingo...it will help them alot.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 AM

True enough, anything north of Mazyck-Wraggborough IMHO.

Generally surrounding Charleston Museum, and south of there
is nice but not up north up Meeting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area