Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times

Advertisements

Hoping you can help me.

I am in North Charleston on business for the next day or two and was able to bring my wife with me.

We're looking for a good seafood place either here in North Charleston or in Charleston proper. We're probably looking for a good broiled platter and a place with casual attire.

Any quick suggestions could really help out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM

9 posts, read 56,811 times
The few that come to mind are:

The Crab Shack
The Noisy Oyster
A W Shucks
Tommy Condon's
Gilligans (has all you can eat oysters special)

Old 11-12-2007, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,591 times
Default Seafood

213 Meeting St.
Charleston, SC

843-723-6000

Hyman's Seafood Restaurant

Old 11-12-2007, 05:00 PM

19 posts, read 58,368 times
I agree with Hymans, had 2 bad meals at the Crab Shack.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:52 PM

We ate at The Noisy Oyster (practically right across the street from the hotel) and it was delicious!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Maybe we'll try Hyman's or AW Shucks for lunch tomorrow or dinner tomorrow evening!

Thanks for making CD work!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,473,451 times
I agree, stay away from Crab Shack... some of the worse food I've ever had

seafood? Gilligans on Ladson Rd, Fishermans Quarters in S'Ville, Red Lobster's pretty good... California Dreaming, James Island

tons of great places on Shem Creek in MtP, especially the Wreck... that place is probably the best on that side of the bridge, very casual and all cash The Wreck of the Richard & Charlene Home best lowcountry atmosphere experience anywhere around IMHO... you'll remember that place...

most of the places in NChas are all chains, good but not really good as a local would say... take the time and go over the bridge to MtP and treat your wife to a lifetime experience at the Wreck... screened in porch on the creek atmosphere and some really great food

if you want the best around NChas try a place next to Northwoods Mall called Carrabba's Italian grill... excellent any kind of food, some fantastic seafood too...

Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM

899 posts, read 3,492,247 times
Wow Meks; you are all over the map on this one!
I don't think I'll ever see Red Lobster & Carraba's mentioned on the same post as 'The Wreck'.

I've been to the Wreck in Mt. Pleasant & didn't even know I was in the parking lot at the time until the owner walked out with cold beers to apologize for the wait. Awesome, local fare.

I've been to the Red lobster in China & it was the same as North Charleston;
not saying that's a bad thing...

Gilligan's & Fisherman's Quarters serve local seafood. That is especially important to people in the Low Country these days.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,957,221 times
my vote is for Hyman's. I was visiting a few years back and my friends didn't get into town until 8:30 on Friday evening. We were staying 3-4 blocks away and couldn't decide where. The front desk people said "HYMANS!!!!!" so off we went for dinner at like 9:15 pm. Excellent suggestion. My friend is a chef in NYC and went into the kitchen and talked to the chef and staff for the longest time and couldn't believe they shared recipes, their version is on her menu in NYC for Shrimp and Grits, with the appropriate acknowledgement.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 AM

264 posts, read 829,876 times
OMG...Alpha!! what are you doin in my hometown and me not there to take ya'll out to dinner!!!?? Darn!!!

If ya already went to "the oyster" then yea, check out Hyman's or AW. They're both good but kinda expensive.

If you like Asian and your staying in a hotel close to the Oyster then you are close to our fav. Viet place. Follow the road beside the mall, past Hooters, and you'll see the Ice Palace on your right. Its right next to that. GREAT FOOD! Go there for lunch and save Hyman's for dinner.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesacat View Post
OMG...Alpha!! what are you doin in my hometown and me not there to take ya'll out to dinner!!!?? Darn!!!

If ya already went to "the oyster" then yea, check out Hyman's or AW. They're both good but kinda expensive.

If you like Asian and your staying in a hotel close to the Oyster then you are close to our fav. Viet place. Follow the road beside the mall, past Hooters, and you'll see the Ice Palace on your right. Its right next to that. GREAT FOOD! Go there for lunch and save Hyman's for dinner.
Hey wesa, I'm always open to someone else taking me to dinner!

Hate me missed you. Maybe next time!

Was the Asian place you mentioned called 'Mei Tei'(not sure on spelling)?

If it was then it was right across the road from the Holiday Inn Express we stayed in. We had a good time even with it being a business trip. My wife about flipped as we were going down 26 to a location off Rivers Ave we saw the 'fatal' sign:

TANGER OUTLET BLVD This Exit

That's all it took for my wife to thoroughly enjoy the trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area