Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:32 PM

244 posts, read 230,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I agree with both of yall. My job actually pays more here than it did in Connecticut. Cost of living is also cheaper than living there. Downtown charleston and mt.pleasent are exspensive but thats why theres goose creek and summerville
My new job will pay more! And I also checked Va Beach, Wilmington,NC and Myrtle area and this was the best offer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 02:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBeachGal View Post
Housing is expensive, traffic can be a nightmare during rush hours, schools are overcrowded, etc.
Wow, that also sounds like every other city in the country that's not a small town.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:51 PM

15 posts, read 16,711 times
I just moved here from Denver and find it a breath of fresh air. Although, TX and NM are probably the last places in the United States I would consider a move to.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:32 PM

71 posts, read 49,195 times
A college degree doesn't mean squat as far as who you associate with. Unless your conversations are always philosophical or about your degree/career what difference would it make. Can you tell the difference just by looking at someone? Life/work experience trumps book-learning quite a bit of the time.

I work for a company where at least 75% of the employees, if not more, have a degree. MD, Ph.d, APN, BSN, RN, LPN, LPC, PLPC, MSW, LCSW, BS/BA just to name a few. A degree doesn't give you common sense or apparently, the ability to structure a sentence correctly or not type/write how you speak. As for Texass, you couldn't PAY me to live there....

Old 08-09-2016, 04:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
When did this turn into the Texas hate thread?

Old 08-09-2016, 05:34 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
When did this turn into the Texas hate thread?

IDK, but there's thousands of people moving to Texas everyday. I enjoyed my 18 years living there and who knows I may move back someday.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:16 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I saw some boats leaving Charleston Harbor this morning.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 PM

71 posts, read 49,195 times
Just putting it out there. Every city, town or state has someone who wishes they weren't there. You don't have to dog a city and its people because you've been there two months and can't stand it. Heck, you've hardly had time to see what a place has to offer in just two months. Like previous posters have said, you shouldn't just willy-nilly move somewhere without at least checking it out a little bit. And by the way - this is not a "I hate Texas" post. There are several states in which I have lived through out the years and know I will never visit them again, moreless live there.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:34 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Just FYI, but the OP's last post was 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure he's moved on since then.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:06 AM

15 posts, read 41,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBeachGal View Post
I regret moving to Charleston. The poor job market is the top reason. It's very pricey for the crappy pay levels and I would not recommend anyone moving here that still has 20+ years of working life left. If you are moving here and you are retired, you might be okay. You've made your money elsewhere and choose to live out your retired years in SC. Housing is expensive, traffic can be a nightmare during rush hours, schools are overcrowded, etc.
Being a CT shoreline native, I would love to hear more from you. My husband and I are considering moving there, but there's a great deal of conflicting insight, especially amongst the happiness of transplants. We are more than tired of CT winters, high taxes, and my husband's daily commute to NYC (90 miles each way), but on the upside- our home was extremely cheap, 5 mintues from the beach and boat launch, we have over an acre of land, and we are both doing fairly well financially. It's very helpful to hear some of the negatives, especially from transplants, to help gage expectations. Charleston locals are very rightfully proud of their great city, and that is wonderful, but I would love to hear from the transplants that are struggling, simply because it helps to calibrate that "grass is always greener" mentality. Last thing I would want to do is find out that moving would actually mean a more expensive home, far from the water, an equally long or worse commute for my husband with half the pay.....Being that you are from RI, we probably have similar mentalities when it comes to what we hope to experience in a new city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area