Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times

Advertisements

No because it was worse when they opened 17 but didn't have the system in place. And even when they first put it in it took a while to be tuned to where it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times
I have to drive through those lights on Houston Northcutt every single day, repeatedly, and they are ALL messed up. Not timed up. Jam the intersections on Frontage/HNcutt.

Originally, the engineers strongly suggested a flyover like Bowman road at 17/Northcutt, so that it would cut down on congestion.

BUT, the Mt P Town Council and newly hired, at the time, Town Administrator Eric DeMoura said no, simply for LOOKS, not function.

And they accepted the LESS desirable system now that has made Northcutt a mass traffic hazard that is dangerous to drive on.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
No because it was worse when they opened 17
That must be perception. I've noticed nothing but positives in traffic since the lanes started opening up.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
I have to drive through those lights on Houston Northcutt every single day, repeatedly, and they are ALL messed up. Not timed up. Jam the intersections on Frontage/HNcutt.
That's interesting CD, I turn off of 17 on that intersection onto Mathis Ferry all the time from both directions and vice versa and I haven't noticed any serious backups yet, but maybe I've just been lucky.

The other side by the wendy's and hardee's is somewhat of a mess. With everyone going in and out of the HT and WF shopping centers, the 17 service roads, and HNcutt, it all gets crowded in a hurry with people going in all directions ... during afternoon rush hour it can get a little frustrating.

Last edited by soulsea; 02-07-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I only use that Houston Northcott/Frontage intersection once a week during mid day. I have found it much easier since adding all the lights.....if and only if folks don't rush the yellow or red. The intersections only get jammed when folks go through the yellow or red instead of just waiting. It then screws up all the other traffic.

I can imagine during rush hour it is a mess.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
That must be perception. I've noticed nothing but positives in traffic since the lanes started opening up.
No I meant that the traffic didn't run as smoothly as it does now. It certainly was better than before the construction.. and it's even better now with the tuned cameras. My commute times seem to agree.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:03 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
At the intersection turning into Wando High School from 17 it has messed things up. Before the camera, when you got to that intersection in the middle of the day -- no traffic on 17, the light changed within seconds. Now, middle of the day you wait and wait and wait. Same with making a left at Six Mile Drive from 17. Use to be -- with the sensors -- if you drove up while the light was red, you always triggered the left turn when it was time for a light change. Now sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I never did reply directly to this...but you are absolutely right about the Wando HS intersection. A friend of ours lives in Carolina Park and we made the mistake of turning in at the Wando light a couple of times. BIG mistake. What a pain in the rear. Even late in the evening with zero cars coming it takes forever to change. We started turning in at Airport Road so we don't have to cuss the light further down.

I also agree that it was nicer with the mag sensors when you wanted to turn left off of 17.

I get the concept of the cameras, and they'll be a nice addition to the new road construction once they get them working better.

And yes...I DO firmly believe that adding nearly 50% more lanes to 17 has made the largest difference in flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area