Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 10:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

You have to pay for parking on all campuses. And -- location isn't always great depending on your school of study.

$500/month for an apartment (even if it is a 2br/2ba) is not a bad deal anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:44 AM

145 posts, read 182,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
In other news, whats going on at Ingleside? What's holding up progress, have they even started Bass Pro yet?
If Ingleside is what I think it is, and will be near the location of Ingleside Blvd noted on Google Maps, it may be worth noting Google Satellite imagery was recently updated and there has been progress in building additional infrastructure (ie roads) in that area. Is this also where the new interchange on 26 will go? I really don't know how they can keep developing with no solid plan in place to address the increase in traffic but I digress.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:08 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
At least Mt. Pleasant knows how to make a museum look good.
Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC

Old 04-25-2015, 01:47 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
At least Mt. Pleasant knows how to make a museum look good.
Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC
Finally; something contemporary.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:50 AM

3,841 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Finally, after 10 years of delays, construction will begin soon on what I call the "Library Hotel" at Marion Square. The exterior design is actually quiet pleasing IMHO.

New hotel to replace library in Marion Square - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Finally, after 10 years of delays, construction will begin soon on what I call the "Library Hotel" at Marion Square. The exterior design is actually quiet pleasing IMHO.

New hotel to replace library in Marion Square - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports
That's great news, finally is right. Just don't like those shutters on a so called high raise building.
So what's going to happen with the old federal building across from Marion Square on Meeting Street?
Hotel, office building, condos??

Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
That's great news, finally is right. Just don't like those shutters on a so called high raise building.
So what's going to happen with the old federal building across from Marion Square on Meeting Street?
A hotel i think.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 AM

74 posts, read 77,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
And a hotel restaurant too. I don't know too much about Ben Towill, but I've heard the name Fat Radish a few times the past few months so I'm guessing it's kind of a big deal.

The Fat Radish's Ben Towill will develop new hotel restaurant | Eat | Charleston City Paper

Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Please try paragraph your posts. This was very hard to read. But like I said, Charleston is not going to get wall to wall skyscrapers so you should stop worrying about it. No one is in a rush to build anything tall in the entire state. SC has had the same tallest building since 1987, and its only 350 feet, barely anything spectacular. And no city in developed America is going to do what you want: keep all old buildings and build no new. That makes no sense from many standpoints.

There will always be old buildings, but there will be new. And there can be a mix. I cant take all my CofC classes in 200 year old buildings. Theyre outdated, they leak, they cant handle our current student population. There is nothing wrong with building something modern, and I'm glad half of the buildings at CofC are now modern. Makes it easier, safer, and more appealing. Some people that want to live downtown don't want to live in a 200 year old shack, they want a condo. Nothing wrong with condos, if theyre willing to pay for it. Nothing wrong with hotels if theyre getting booked. People want to visit, and they mainly want to visit downtown, so why shove all hotels outside of downtown and make them drive in? That makes no sense from many standpoints either.

And nothing wrong with chains either. Like I said, you have to stop thinking that every local restaurant or store is an A+, because theyre not. And theyre not all "mom and pop, this is how we make our living." And thinking one Starbucks nestled on King Street ruins the charm is silly. We just got a Walgreens, Chipotle, and are getting a Carolina Ale House on King/Calhoun. All chains. But theyre hits, and great additions to downtown, and adds to a more diverse market. The city renovated the old Millenium Music building to put them in. So what, we're supposed to not allow those 3 places to come because theyre chains? We're supposed to leave up the Millenium Building? (which was just sitting there and rotting) because it's historic? No. Height limits or no height limits, you will not see large office towers downtown. And if you do see something "tall" it'll be on the edge, out of the way.

Nothing is ruining Charleston. Not the hotels, not the chains, not the airport, not the new residents, not the tourists, not the new companies. Charleston today is better than it was in 2005, and especially 1995. People want to complain and complain about Charleston today, but wanting 1995 Charleston over 2015 Charleston would be a huge head scratcher. Charleston is fine, the charm is here, chains are not evil...

Oh and I still see a lot of character with Charlotte. I visit all the time and the city does have uniqueness. And it's a better off city than Charleston and Savannah. Just because a place has glass office towers doesnt mean its not unique. Charlotte may look like just a bigger version of Columbia and smaller version of Atlanta...but it's not.
New building in Charleston, good points about CofC. I imagine they could renovate some buildings but yes sometimes there is outweighing cost-benefit. So, I visited Charleston few weeks ago. I love King St and that area and the waterfront park. That's as nice a spot in a city as anywhere in the US. Beautiful. Oh I prefer local when I can but I know that is not the best for certain goods and services. And putting a new chain in an old building is great.

I appreciate when cities keep historic districts intact and create new high-rise urban cores adjacent to the old part, like New Orleans or Montreal and perhaps Sav and Charleston someday. If mixing new buildings, then blend in the look and feel. It seems like you are saying this is what will probably end up happening in Charleston, which is good to hear. I have to confess I don't know the ins and outs of Charleston but I look forward to visiting a lot more now that my travels will take me close. It is an interesting "twin" to Savannah. Just my thoughts, after living in Savannah and not having been back to Charleston until now. Charleston is definitely one of my favorite cities. My top 5: Sav, Vancouver, Charleston, Montreal, Boston. Beaufort as my fav mini-city, along with Newport RI and Portland ME. I like cities on the water.

Charlotte sorry to say, is the blandest city I have visited though out of about 30 its size though. After 5:00 it seemed like everyone leaves downtown. Only visited a couple times though but we got around most of downtown.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quebec City...........talk about an old city with new buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area