Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2024, 11:08 AM

311 posts, read 259,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
“Mark Clark Extension Does No Perform Well in Charleston Residents’ Survey of Needs”

Good. It would only promote more suburban sprawl.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...8fac8dc6c.html
I respectfully disagree. Completing 526 will have positive impacts for West Ashley, James, Island, Downtown, and Johns Island. Roads are a trailing indicator of development. By the time a road is built or widened to capacity, the development has already happened, and that is exactly what we are seeing on Johns Island.

At this point, the residents of Johns Island need to figure out a comprehensive plan to guide their development in the future rather than sitting back and watching sprawl take over the island. I do not want to see Johns Island end up in a similar situation to where West Ashley is today—where the only option is to retrofit the sprawl.

----------

From the referenced Post and Courier article (Emphasis mine):
Quote:
How attendees ranked them, the county found, is that out of the 22 potential fixes the Mark Clark Extension received less support than all but one, with just under 56 percent in favor.
Unless I am misinterpreting, "Just under 56% in favor" is a majority. I respect the Post and Courier for many things, but they have been biased against the completion of 526 for ages. Their coverage of this issue should be viewed through that lens.

Last edited by WASwift; 04-24-2024 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 01:29 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,069,715 times
Quote:
Lots of European cities have only three- to four-story buildings. An urban environment design-wise is created on a human scale, not by taller buildings. I’m fine with taller buildings on the upper peninsula, but there’s no reason a densely designed district of three- to four-story buildings would be any less urban.
My point was not to build tall buildings or that the project is not urban enough. I just think having all the buildings the same height is in the project is uninspired. It would have been nice to have designed 1 or 2 buildings a floor taller and maybe 1 or 2 buildings a floor shorter, just to have a more diversified overall project design.

When city council was voting on the Courier Square Phase 3 PUD earlier this year, Mayor Cogswell noted the project needed varying buildings heights to avoid having a "boxy" look on that city block.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:34 PM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
They meant compared to other needs. James Island residents can expect more congestion on the connector to downtown if 526 is completed. At least there’s a plan to have a dedicated left turn lane onto Courtenay with two lanes continuing onto Calhoun.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
My point was not to build tall buildings or that the project is not urban enough. I just think having all the buildings the same height is in the project is uninspired. It would have been nice to have designed 1 or 2 buildings a floor taller and maybe 1 or 2 buildings a floor shorter, just to have a more diversified overall project design.

When city council was voting on the Courier Square Phase 3 PUD earlier this year, Mayor Cogswell noted the project needed varying buildings heights to avoid having a "boxy" look on that city block.
You mean these? I like them. I wouldn’t want a large area of them. The accent along the roof line is nice. I’m also a fan of simplicity in architecture for a complex here and there. City council / the BAR reworked the guidelines to encourage more pitched roofs and other touches to prevent more monotony, though. I’m waiting to see examples of that, but most of what was recently built or under construction now got approved before the city’s architectural watchdogs said hey wait a minute.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Dzpu1ZhrgxdeT1JTA?g_st=ic

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yV2uGx5JyJWpQhuG8?g_st=ic

Old 04-24-2024, 05:09 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,962,316 times
Quote:
“Mark Clark Extension Does No Perform Well in Charleston Residents’ Survey of Needs”

having looked through the proposals i'm going to assume that a projects ability to speed up traffic is inversely proportional to how popular it is. The Overpass in Mt. Pleasant over Houston Northcutt Avenue being the least popular project certainly points towards that. The vast majority of those projects seem to be more related to adding sidewalks and bike paths than actual road infrastructure improvements (i'll assume that the overpass over the trainline from park circle to what i'm fairly sure is called the NOMO area of North Charleston is also rather low on the list)

Old 04-25-2024, 06:02 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,868,034 times
Quote:

More roads will not promote more growth

Old 04-25-2024, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
More roads will not promote more growth
Since when?

Actually, it might not promote more growth as in more people migrating to this area just because of the new roads, but it will promote more development in the wrong places.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,962,316 times
Quote:
Since when?

Actually, it might not promote more growth as in more people migrating to this area just because of the new roads, but it will promote more development in the wrong places.
Well yes but not building the road simply means that the growth that does happen gets to use the same old roads, or are you going to tell me that the lack of a completed I-526 has meant John's and Jame's island haven't seen any real growth over the last few years?

Old 04-25-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Well yes but not building the road simply means that the growth that does happen gets to use the same old roads, or are you going to tell me that the lack of a completed I-526 has meant John's and Jame's island haven't seen any real growth over the last few years?
Not nearly as much growth as if 526 had been readily accessible leaving and coming all that time

Old 04-26-2024, 05:15 AM

Time to stop being old-school
Time to quit thinking new and expanded roads are the answer
They aren’t.
Fact

https://www.postandcourier.com/opini...0c451b891.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area