Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:35 PM

24 posts, read 39,203 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be visiting my parents in Bluffton in a few weeks and we'd like to spend a couple days checking out Charleston and Mount Pleasant. Whenever we visit my parents, we always start talking about how we should move down there and from what I've read on here, it sounds like Mount Pleasant might be worth considering. So, we'd like to spend a couple days getting to know the area a little. We're not in a rush and we visit my parents a few times a year, so we have lots of time to decide! Right now we live in a suburb outside of Philadelphia. My husband hates the weather here and our house is over 100 years old, so the idea of better weather and a newer house is very appealing.

So, here's my info:

1. Budget - $400-$500k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Self-employed, work from home
4. Children(public school vs. private) - Yes, would prefer public school, but would possibly consider private
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural) - Suburban or suburban and coastal
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves - Not too far from shopping and restaurants
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood - Looking for a neighborhood that has a lot of families

And here's my questions:

1. Are there any neighborhoods or new developments we should look at while we're there? Are most of the communities in Mount Pleasant gated? Looking at houses online gave me that impression.
2. How is the crime in Mount Pleasant? Living right outside of Philly, we have a lot of burglaries and we've had our house nearly broken into twice, so I'm concerned about safety.
3. What restaurants should we try in Charleston and Mount Pleasant?
4. What attractions should we visit in Charleston?

I definitely appreciate any input you have and I'm excited to plan our trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM

326 posts, read 498,505 times
mt. pleasant sounds right for you for good public schools, convenience, safety, and your price point can easily be fit.

i can't answer the question about how common gated communities are. i've mainly been to communities that have an HOA but aren't gated. i forget the proper term for these. nice houses, lots of families.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_w View Post
And here's my questions:

I definitely appreciate any input you have and I'm excited to plan our trip!
as a transplant to SC from WI and one who goes down to Charleston frequently for day trips, a few things we enjoy seeing/doing.

- The beach. We prefer Isle of Palms, it has a nice park setting plus some restaraunts and shops in walking distance.

- Historic area of Charleston. From relaxing at Waterfront park (near every time we've seen dolphins in the bay there), to walking downtown and it's shops/the "market", to taking a carriage ride or walking tour of the home sites, to checking out the forts (Moultrie can be driven to, Sumter is a boat ride), to even the Aquarium. Lets not forget the plantations nearby; Magnolia is our go-to ( it's gardens can be amazing and the ponds usually have plenty of gators for us "northerners" to see lol) but there are several in the area that offer tours and sightseeing.

- eating. Well this will get plenty of suggestions. We've enjoyed the Noisy Oyster and Crab Shack in town, and actually like hitting the Banana Cabana by the beach for a lunch when we're there. And while it's more of a regional spot then local, i do like Sticky Fingers for it's food and blues music background (hey it was new to me even if it is kind of a chain lol).

- lastly, due to it's location near Bluffton, i'd add a drive thru the Savannah National Wildlife park near Hardeeville (close to SC/GA border). It's a long path you drive thru to watch birds, gators, we even saw a family of bobcats there. Plenty of nice photo opps if that is your thing.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
I'd certainly look at Hamlin Plantation, Brickyard Plantation, Carolina Park (new home construction), Park West, and Rivertowne. You could also consider Daniel Island, Oyster Point (new homes/pre owned), Snee Farm, Belle Hall, and Hobcaw Creek Plantation. There's many more neighborhoods in your range besides the ones I just listed. Most of the ones here have really nice amenities and are filled with families with children.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
The town of Mount Pleasant does not allow gated communities. The few that do exist are/were in the county as opposed to MTP. I personally do not know of any gated community in MTP created in the last 12 years or so.

$400 to $500K will buy quite a nice home in MTP.

While the schools in SC are county schools, the schools in MTP are considered to be among the best in SC. I would go as far as to say they are equal or better then private schools.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:19 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
My husband and I will be visiting my parents in Bluffton in a few weeks and we'd like to spend a couple days checking out Charleston and Mount Pleasant. Whenever we visit my parents, we always start talking about how we should move down there and from what I've read on here, it sounds like Mount Pleasant might be worth considering. So, we'd like to spend a couple days getting to know the area a little. We're not in a rush and we visit my parents a few times a year, so we have lots of time to decide! Right now we live in a suburb outside of Philadelphia. My husband hates the weather here and our house is over 100 years old, so the idea of better weather and a newer house is very appealing.

What suburb outside of Philly? I grew up in Springfield.

So, here's my info:

1. Budget - $400-$500k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Self-employed, work from home
4. Children(public school vs. private) - Yes, would prefer public school, but would possibly consider private
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural) - Suburban or suburban and coastal
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves - Not too far from shopping and restaurants
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood - Looking for a neighborhood that has a lot of families

As pretty much everyone has said, Mt Pleasant sounds just right. Good schools, restaurants, shopping and not far from the beach. Your budget will work in a lot of the new communities in Mt P as well.

And here's my questions:

1. Are there any neighborhoods or new developments we should look at while we're there? Are most of the communities in Mount Pleasant gated? Looking at houses online gave me that impression.
2. How is the crime in Mount Pleasant? Living right outside of Philly, we have a lot of burglaries and we've had our house nearly broken into twice, so I'm concerned about safety.

The neighborhoods that Wise listed are all good choices and as he said, there are plenty more. Drive around a bit and get a feel for it all. There's a lot to like.

Crime here is low compared to Philly burbs.

Reds in Mt p is popular and on scenic Shem Creek. Home Team BBQ in West Ashley or Sullivans Island if you want a taste of some of the best BBQ in SC. There are so many good restaurants in Charleston... Do a search on the forum and find lots of good suggestions.

Attractions... depends on what you like. I always think everyone should visit Angel Oak on Johns Island. It's on the wrong side of the city if want to spend time in Mt P and your time is limited though. A carriage tour would be interesting or just take a stroll south of Broad St say starting on Church ST and meandering anywhere inspiration takes you.

Welcome to Charleston! Hope you have a blast!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'd certainly look at Hamlin Plantation, Brickyard Plantation, Carolina Park (new home construction), Park West, and Rivertowne. You could also consider Daniel Island, Oyster Point (new homes/pre owned), Snee Farm, Belle Hall, and Hobcaw Creek Plantation. There's many more neighborhoods in your range besides the ones I just listed. Most of the ones here have really nice amenities and are filled with families with children.
Not Hamlin (isolated from "the rest"); not Oyster Point (same & more); not Carolina Park (in its infancy).
Park West & Rivertowne might as well be their own villages -- so fits your (OP) criteria if subdivision village life suits you - they are pretty & can live relatively self contained.
OK, truth is I'm prejudice toward zip 29464, basically older established neighborhoods, closer to Charleston.
Hobcaw Creek Plantation & Belle Hall are nice but I'm not a fan of I526 as immediate access road.

All that said, "kid friendly" probably puts Park West as #1 location. But, hey, there's a lot of lovely streets not in formal subdivisions in Mt P. And FYI, there are VERY few gated communities in Mt. P. Town does discourage them.

Enjoy your tour & include the neighborhoods off of Mathis Ferry Road on it -- you might find "home."

With my regards from Broomall & Drexel Hill family

Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Joyeaux, I was born in Drexel Hill. (not to go off topic or anything)

Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
Why are gated communities not allowed? That's a little bizarre.

Where I live now, the condos are completely surrounded by gates and the main entrance closes at night.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The town of Mount Pleasant does not allow gated communities. The few that do exist are/were in the county as opposed to MTP. I personally do not know of any gated community in MTP created in the last 12 years or so.

There are several gates...firmly in the town limits of MtP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area