Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 01:05 AM

107 posts, read 217,166 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a trip to Charleston for the first full week of October. It will be our first time to visit here!

I'm looking for some advice.

1 - hotel to stay at: affordable (around $100 to $150)
I have been looking at the Holiday Inn Express in Mt. Pleasant or North Charleston and the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn

2 - restaurants: lunch and dinner places

3 - things to do: We love going on guided tours. historic houses, plantations, gardens, etc.

4 - shopping: I am looking for some good places to buy sweetgrass baskets! cookbooks, t-shirts, etc.

5 - Any local advice for "do not miss" spots!

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:35 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
Visit Charleston, SC | Charleston Vacation Planning & Charleston Tourism Info | Charleston Area CVB

If you search the threads on this forum, you will also find lots of good information.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 AM

657 posts, read 739,084 times
1) Stay in Mt P over North Charleston. No reason to stay up 26 for a few bucks more. Maybe try priceline too to get a better deal.
3) Lots of tour deals on groupon. Look up reviews on tripadvisor first and pick the best one.
4) Tourist stuff all around the Market. There are sweetgrass stands along 17 in Mt P but I don't know if the prices are more reasonable.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Holiday Inn Express is great... fills up fast... put in a res now and cancel if you change your mind

Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily55 View Post
My husband and I are planning a trip to Charleston for the first full week of October. It will be our first time to visit here!

I have been looking at the Holiday Inn Express in Mt. Pleasant or North Charleston and the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn

3 - things to do: We love going on guided tours. historic houses, plantations, gardens, etc.

4 - shopping: I am looking for some good places to buy sweetgrass baskets! cookbooks, t-shirts, etc.

Thanks for your help!
1.) I wouldn't stay at that Best Western. I drive past it a lot and have run past it a few times (and run through the parking lot as well... it was a run when I was getting my car serviced). If you want a nice hotel option on Savannah Hwy, go with the Comfort Suites. Not the Best Western. But I'd recommend one of the hotels near Tanger Outlets/International Blvd or either in Mt. Pleasant, right over the Cooper River Bridge. They are closer to things.
2.) We have great food here. What do you want to eat? That'll help with recommendations.
3.) We have plenty of those downtown.
4.) There are stands for baskets on Hwy 17 North, but not as many as there used to be. You can buy all those things at the City Market downtown on Market Street.
5.) Kaminsky's has the best desserts. On Market Street.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily55 View Post

Thanks for your help!
1. Stay up on University in North Charleston. You should get that kind of price up there during that time of year. We did.

2. What are you looking to eat?

3. Magnolia plantation, if you don't mind a drive, Boone Hall

4. Just note that a sweetgrass basket is not cheap. One that is 12 inches wide/long goes for $250 or so. I amuse visitors by giving them the sticker shock experience in the market. Stores around the market and the market itself is good for books, shirts, and the like.

5. Plenty of do not miss spots. Waterfront park, Angel Oak Tree, the beaches, and get out on a boat to visit Fort Sumter.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Thanks for all of the advice!

We are looking forward to visiting Charleston!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
1. Stay up on University in North Charleston. You should get that kind of price up there during that time of year. We did.

2. What are you looking to eat?

3. Magnolia plantation, if you don't mind a drive, Boone Hall

4. Just note that a sweetgrass basket is not cheap. One that is 12 inches wide/long goes for $250 or so. I amuse visitors by giving them the sticker shock experience in the market. Stores around the market and the market itself is good for books, shirts, and the like.

5. Plenty of do not miss spots. Waterfront park, Angel Oak Tree, the beaches, and get out on a boat to visit Fort Sumter.
2. I love anything tasty! But, we really love seafood.

4. Wow! I didn't know those baskets were that expensive. I'll have to start saving now.

5. Thanks for the advice! The boat trip to Fort Sumter really sounds like a winner.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 AM

52 posts, read 58,584 times

Try the Inn in I'on. Jacob's Inn. I think it is under $150. or any of the hotels at the foot of the bridge

Fleet Landing, Basil, Leon's Oyster Shop, Cru Cafe, Rue De Jean, FIG, Bacco, Graze and Langdons

Charleston Footprints, Two Sister's Tours, and Tommy Dew for a walking tour downtown. There are lots more but that is a good place to start.

Waterfront Park in Mount Pleasant or Broad Street or the Market downtown

Charlestowne Landing

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Charleston Address - Thanks for the response!

I am keeping a notebook with my Charleston info.
You gave me a lot of great ideas to add!
Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area