Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:09 PM

57 posts, read 127,150 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for nice neighborhoods in Summerville, someone on here was talking about Ashborough. Are there other like it, where I can buy a house under $150,000? We prefer older homes, big yards, and privacy. Can you get that for my price range?

Also, what's the deal with HOAs, I mean, how bad and regulative can they get? I don't like being told what to do! But I want to live somewhere where people take care of their property. Mostly whenever I've found a nice house for sale in my budget, at least one neighbor's house is crappy or has junk all in the yard.

I also don't mind living up to a half hour away, if I need to, to get the privacy and space and land. But still don't want ugly messy yards near my house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 01:39 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Don't know specifically what you consider "older" and don't know how large a house you're looking for, but in general, homes with larger lots and privacy in the nicer older Summerville neighborhoods/developments start in the 200s and go up from there.
(Keep in mind, 1/2 acre is considered a larger lot around here.)

Best thing to do would be to google some listings to get an idea of the market right now.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 11-15-2014 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 AM

37 posts, read 81,044 times
Don't have answer for you but started bowling this fall with a very nice lady who has years of experience here in a Summerville area. Give her a call. I know she can help you out.

Jan Edwards

Office Phone:
(843) 871-9000
Home Phone:
(843) 871-1778
Cell Phone:
(843) 478-8080
Fax:
(843) 202-2951
Summerville, Trolley Road Office
1530 Old Trolley Road
Summerville, SC 29485-8225

Old 11-16-2014, 07:39 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives View Post
I'm looking for nice neighborhoods in Summerville, someone on here was talking about Ashborough. Are there other like it, where I can buy a house under $150,000? We prefer older homes, big yards, and privacy. Can you get that for my price range?

Also, what's the deal with HOAs, I mean, how bad and regulative can they get? I don't like being told what to do! But I want to live somewhere where people take care of their property. Mostly whenever I've found a nice house for sale in my budget, at least one neighbor's house is crappy or has junk all in the yard.

I also don't mind living up to a half hour away, if I need to, to get the privacy and space and land. But still don't want ugly messy yards near my house!
It was probably me talking about Ashborough earlier as I found a house there for a couple this last spring. It's a beautiful older neighborhood (70's) with mostly larger lots and mature trees. Usually the hoa's in the older neighborhoods aren't as restrictive as some of the newer neighorhoods.

It's not impossible to find what you're looking for but we'd need to know more details.... how many bedrooms, etc.

PM sent

Old 11-16-2014, 02:04 PM

207 posts, read 445,441 times
Summerville Place, Brandymill, Briarwood all have homes under 150k in good school district (if that's important), with larger lots; depends on what size lot you are talking. I would love to have a acre, but we have a 1/3rd .

Old 11-16-2014, 03:48 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,946 times
do NOT move into Irongate, they are having some serious issues with the HOA there

it seems in the last two years the crew that's running it now has fined the residents at least 10 fold from previous years, there's pictures of the boxes of fines from the last couple of years as opposed to a small stack from the years before

many residents had no clue they had fines levied on them until they went to vote for new HOA members, they are saying many fines were filed incorrectly and illegally... people getting fines for things they don't even have, such as a lady can't get a fine removed for having a boat in her yard but she's never owned or even been in a boat... another guy getting fined for parking in the grass in a car that wasn't his nor was it visiting him etc etc....

they have a couple of retires going around day and night peeking in peoples yards to fine them, which is also illegal

lots of long term residents talking about moving out over it, big scandal right now some residents are trying to get straightened out... I'd ask someone that lives there about the situation before moving in...

Old 11-17-2014, 03:51 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times
How about Twin Oaks? It's an older neighborhood with no HOA yet people seem to take care of their yards. You could probably find something in the 150,000 range. It might be worth a look.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:12 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
How about Twin Oaks? It's an older neighborhood with no HOA yet people seem to take care of their yards. You could probably find something in the 150,000 range. It might be worth a look.
That's a good suggestion and would probably be worth a look. I think you're right about there being no HOA at all in that neighborhood and it's definitely in the OP's price range. It's not as nice a neighborhood as Ashborough imo, but less pricy too.

As an aside, I came across the page I had saved for the Ashborough covenants:
Ashborough Civic Association

There's a short list of the rules on that page and if you go to the "information" tab and "forms" you can read the whole covenants and restrictions document.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:34 PM

73 posts, read 129,509 times
I lived in Brandymill and liked it. When I first moved in, I didn't know the first thing about lawn care and they were very patient with me as I learned (lol). I've got a good friend in Quail Arbor who has an older home than mine was in Brandymill, as well as more land, and she and her husband are quite happy living there.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 AM

116 posts, read 183,879 times
My family has now added Summerville to our potential list. It appears to offer much more bang for your buck than Charleston at this time.
I was wondering if locals could comment on the HOAs. We are able to pay more than the original poster. We will go to 400 for the right home but would much rather stay around 300.
We loved some of the houses in Ashborough and Ashbourough East but will not consider anymore as we have read over the covenants or rules and restrictions and it is definitely not for us. There is no way we are going to ask permission on what color to paint our home or have to put up only one kind of fence around our property etc. We take very good care of our property in MA. I don't want any neighborhood with an association that would require permission from a neighborhood board.
We also have found a couple homes in the neighborhood of Country Club Estates but did not find a HOA, is this more of a subdivision or neighborhood and not a Hoa? Looking for recommendations for neighborhood.....Dorchester 2 school district, and at least 1/3 of an acre of land. thanks : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area